Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

headed to Cape Hatteras and getting nervous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
newgirl

Since 03 Sep 2006
16 Posts
Beaverton

PostSun Sep 17, 06 3:51 pm    headed to Cape Hatteras and getting nervous Reply with quote

Hi All,
I'm greener than green at kiteboarding, have only done 1 lesson with Nate from ASI (thanks, Nate) and practiced my trainer at the park. I'm headed to Real for back to back camps and have started getting very nervous. Watching the promotional videos made me wonder why I ever thought I could learn this sport. I need moral support!!!

Also, once I get home I'd love to be part of a network of avid kiters who could help me get beyond the "smash your face against the sandbar" stage. I'm looking at Mexico for a winter escape and I'm definately going to the Cook Islands in Feb.

Newgirl

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 17, 06 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

Hatteras is a very user friendly place to ride. When the wind is right, it is definetly the perfect begginer location. More or less miles and miles of knee to waist deep water with sandy bottom, and pretty much harmless sea-life. i HAVE WADED BACK TO SHORE AFTER A BREAK-DOWN 1.5 MILES FROM LAND. - C

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Sep 17, 06 5:09 pm     Reply with quote

You'll do GREAT... Nate's a good instructor! Thumb's Up

Hopefully the kicker that J. Slezak hit on 'Stunt Junkies' is still up for ya too. Wink

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 17, 06 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

I am new to the sport this year. If I can learn this sport, I am sure you can. Spending a week in La Ventana with the New Winds guys really helped me out. A friendly place to learn. Spent the summer finally figuring out how to get upwind in Hood River. You can do it- don't be nervous.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 18, 06 6:07 am     Reply with quote

good luck on the obx, but bring your bug repelent-they have had a ton of rain this year and thee are mosquitos everywhere.

the folks at real are cool, a little corporate but full of stoke and support for riders, kida like the les schwab of kite lessons.

ya might request to ride with katie from canada-met her in coz in january and at that time whe was hangin out with my daughter, both of them learning to ride. she has ridden her ass off since and is now coaching for real kb. a woman's perspective dontcha know? if you see her, tell her jimmi from oregon says hello

jp

Since 04 Mar 2005
87 Posts
wherever there are whitecaps

PostMon Sep 18, 06 6:46 am     Reply with quote

hey there newgirl!

Hatteras is one of the top places in the world for wind sports... it's really cool for kiting cause in the Sound the water is waist deep, and with the REAL folks, you'll always be followed by a jetski.

they'll watch your back !! ( as well as teach ya good)

Not sure when you'll be there, ...I'm heading down from Oct2- 19th... if you're around + want to hook up....give a PM.....I'm staying at a house in Avon

Just starting to figure out how to hold the line + go upwind myself....and now ALL this girl wants to do is KITE !!

Have a fun trip !!

jp (jane)

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Sep 18, 06 8:19 am     Reply with quote

Ever see (or read) "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" ? Probably the best advice is: Don't Panic

Kiteboarding is all about staying cool, calm, and collected. When you are getting dragged through the water backwards you don't want to start freaking out that will just make things worse. Its expected to be somewhat nervous, just try to not let your nerves control you.

Oh and if you aren't already extremely comfortable in the water and a good swimmer, I'd spend some time with that... its often an over looked part of the training process. Very Happy

Good luck and have fun!

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostMon Sep 18, 06 9:07 am     Reply with quote

I saw you at Jones Beach body dragging like a pro.....I am sure you will be waaaaay ahead of the other folks in your camp. Go have fun and come back bragging.
Cooks huh? Wow, all of us here are going to be jealious!
Winter time? Go to Baja, stay at Baja Joe's and kite with Marie.
Next Summer? We will have to take a lesson from you.....

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 18, 06 9:16 am     Reply with quote

IMHO, entry level kiting is much easier then "real" sports that require tons of practice and timing. it seems like the level of corridination required to get on a plane and stay upwind is not terribly high. (tricks or powered wave turns are a different story).

the barrier for starting is more the weirdness of it. esp if you're not coming from a wakeboarding background it will feel really bizarre at first. but like riding a bike it will click and you'll be able to water start no problem. a few sessions later the upwind thing will click, and then you're competent.

the hard part can be getting good sessions under your belt. i.e. finding reasonable wind and picking the right kite. if you're serious don't shortchange yourself - get 3 kites at a minimum (ideally 3 SLEs)

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostTue Sep 19, 06 4:45 pm    Just got back from 3 days at the OBX with Real Kiteboarding Reply with quote

Hi New Girl,
This is my first year also. Ever time I ventured out to go kiteboarding I was sick to my stomach with antiapation. If Im not nervious then something is wrong.

I just got back Monday 18-Sept-06 from three days of training with Real Kiteboarding......It was truly the BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT on kiteboarding. I signed up for a boosting lesson (it was suspose to be with another student but wound up being a priviate lesson) with Adam. The first thing they do is find out what you want to work on (Boosting) then they access the wind and conditions. If they are not right for what you want to do they reschedule it for later in the day. Once the conditions are right they get the gear all set up and get you out on the water. Thats when the clock starts to ticking. Each lesson I took was 2 hrs on the water with your coach. My coach, Adam tells me to warm up and show him what I got. After I warm up he methodacally step by step explains to me what I am doing right and what I need to work on with just my riding stance. He tells me for better up wind riding pretend that you have a piece of coal between your butt cheeks, you want to squeeze really hard to turn that coal into a diamond. This forces your hips forward and flatens out your board making you go up wind.

He then starts to break down boosting for me just like they show on the Joyride video. Start with a progressive edge, then work on your load and pop, followed by boosting. Next thing you know I am launching huge (huge for me) and landing them. Then we start to work on common mistakes like 1) fear of the front hand, 2) going around the horn, and 3) the yard sale. I must admit it is so cool to be able to boost without fear of *&$#ing up my knee again.

The next day, I got to ride with Sam Bell and worked on basic tricks. The guy that was in my lesson did not want to go off so Sam Bell worked mostly with me. Sam Bell wanted to know if there was anything inparticular that I wanted to learn and what I wanted to work on, then tells me to go on a shake down ride to warm up. The next thing you know Sam said " It's time to take your skirt off and throw some tricks" We worked on board 180's, proper load and pop, relaxing while riding, boosting 360's, back rolls, boosting grabs, load and pop grabs. boosting with transition to down looping.

At one point I when I was ridding, I said to my self "how many guys have had this oportunity to ride with Sam Bell" I learned a ton of good stuff and cant wait for my next session.

The best advice I got from Sam was to just relax and let it all happen, dont force it.

The first day wind was light from the NE. They put me on a 17m Fuel (Sick kite) and we road down wind bosting about 12 miles.
The second cay wind was light from the S. They put me on a 17.5 m Machine and we road down wind about 8 miles.

I cant wait to go do it again.

Good luck, have fun.....and make sure you bring your bug repellent, not only are there mosquitos but also, ticks and chiggers. Its all good though.

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Sep 19, 06 5:01 pm     Reply with quote

TF--Here's what I learned when I got back...

And you thought you were cool.... (Don't I wish, I'mean Death wish)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kvxtb4kfHE

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Sep 19, 06 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Ever see (or read) "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" ? Probably the best advice is: Don't Panic

And never never leave home with out your towel! Thumb's Up

www.naishkites.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: