Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

the state of the Used Gear Market

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostSat Jun 11, 05 6:36 am    the state of the Used Gear Market Reply with quote

...Here's a vague and over-broad question: Does anyone have a sense of the overall health of the used kiteboarding gear market right-now? I haven't tried to sell any equipment in about the last 6 months. But have sold a lot of used gear over the past few years. I keep thinking that the combination of discount & direct sales companies (Best & Windwing), the relatively large amount of used gear for sale, and other factors will, or already-have driven down the price of used equipment. I'm sure success in selling varies a lot depending on the brand, vintage, and kind of equipment.

As a point of reference, in September of 2000, I sold a very used first generation...er, piece of shit, F-Onemoreswim 5.0 ram air kite with bar & lines and a 7 foot thrashed surfboard with straps for $550. I'm sure the market ain't this healthy.

Anybody have any used gear sale observations, economic theories, success stories, failures, or confessions?

PostSat Jun 11, 05 7:36 am    Used gear Reply with quote

We have had great success with selling our used kite gear on E-bay. In fact, our used SlingShot bar/ lines from 2003 are bidding at $71 with 9 bids, 30 watchers, and 2 days left. It will probably go to someone in a small town with no kite shops or in the past we've sold to buyers in Japan, England, Spain, and Austrailia - they pay shipping. Also, Windance and Ikitesurf classifieds work well, but gear goes for less than E-bay due to the emotional bidding wars people find themselves in. - Tonya and Dano

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostMon Jun 13, 05 8:26 am     Reply with quote

I almost had to give away my X2 12m this early this spring, no takers @ $250 after two months so I sold it to a local for $200. There are more ads now over $400 for old stuff. In Feb-Apr there were many kites in sub $400 range (even 2004's), lot's of 2003's were below $300.

All in all I'd say prices are up a little since the season is in full swing but still many are dirt cheap compared to a couple years ago.

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostThu Aug 11, 05 6:07 am    the answer Reply with quote

...I'll answer my own question. The used marked ain't what it used to be. I've had some bites on the 19.5 Gaastra GXR with new bar and hardware for $295, but no one's even asked to look at it. Surprising, but I suppose it does make some sense given the skimboard/keep using same kite option and some of the newer innovations in kite design.

This Sanford and Son style kiter will likely just keep using my same-old cheap used equipment until it falls apart, lands on a barbed-wire fence or the paddle wheeler's paddle.

Looks like it may be time for me to learn how to sell on Ebay.

Blatant Plug:
http://nwkite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=472

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Aug 11, 05 6:27 am     Reply with quote

Ken - people do seem to have good luck selling on ebay.

I think with all the guys on bro deals around these parts, there is quite the surplus of used gear.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: