Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiteboarding in Cuba

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bdc8622

Since 31 May 2005
74 Posts
PDX

PostMon Sep 11, 06 9:10 am    Kiteboarding in Cuba Reply with quote

FYI: Just got this Website Link from guys we met in Eastern Mexico earlier this year. For anybody looking for warm destinaation this winter. They run a 12 day trip for Kiteboarding or Windsurfing south of Havana. Almost set up, but heading to Brazil instead.

www.cubawindsurf.com

cuba1.jpg 
   lb.jpg 

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 11, 06 9:33 am     Reply with quote

Isn't still illegal for US citizens to go to Cuba? Sad (US law, not Cuba...) I'm not really sure on this, but have heard you can be in a lot of trouble when you come back to the U.S. if your passport was stamped in Cuba. It's too bad, because from the air it looks like Cuba has more beautiful beaches than the rest of the Caribbean combined... There's gotta be some incredible spots down there. Anyone have the scoop on what the law is?

Nak

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 11, 06 11:50 am     Reply with quote

Damn i want to go there!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 11, 06 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

U gotta be a journalist

or

U gotta have cuban relatives there ( only visit once every 3 years )

or

U can sneak in thru Mex or bahamas and ask not to stamp!

I'm a gonna go visit some relatives soon I think!

Jackal

Since 17 Dec 2005
147 Posts
WS
Stoked

PostMon Sep 11, 06 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

The Cubans will not stamp your passport, they only stamp a tourist card placed inside your passport. It is illegal under Cuban law for them to stamp your passport, although they will sometimes try and wiggle a five dollar bill from you, but they won't stamp it, unless you are really unlucky.

There are tons of tourists in Cubans, just not too many yanks. US citizens can't use their credit cards, as they are issued by US banks. So bring a lot of cash, or get a foreign CC.

Yes, you can get in trouble if you are caught. Same as you can get in trouble for jaywalking, speeding, DUI, bar fights, and everything else, if you get caught.

It's an amazing place. Go before Fidel goes, you'll be glad you did. Lots of wind on Cayo Coco in March. Lots of wind on the northern shores of Cuba, not as much in the south.

Immerse yourself in the culture, it's even better than kiting.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Sep 11, 06 3:10 pm     Reply with quote

Not that I would know..... Wink Wink
But there are direct flights from Canada.

www.naishkites.com

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 12, 06 1:56 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
It's an amazing place. Go before Fidel goes, you'll be glad you did

Why would you think Fidel or his brother or the totalitarian regime would ever go

or

why it would be better kiteboarding or ( worse ) culture after ( if )

P.S. I don't think things change down there that fast!

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 12, 06 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

after castro goes, trade embargo lifts, americans invade cuba and buy up all the great kite beaches

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Sep 12, 06 2:38 pm     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
after castro goes, trade embargo lifts, americans invade cuba and buy up all the great kite beaches

You are exactly right. Also, Castro just had intestinal surgery. Read Cancer.....
Once Castro dies or loses power it will only be a matter of time before Cuba returns to Americas playland.
I have heard all the big hotels already have plans drawn up.

www.naishkites.com

jp

Since 04 Mar 2005
87 Posts
wherever there are whitecaps

PostTue Sep 12, 06 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

gawddd....I have wanted to go to Cuba for about a couple of years now....the beaches look GORGEOUS...and there is no doubt in my mind the culture + people are wonderful...

I have heard there are flights from Canada ... but be prepared for some Ch*T via return...

I don't understand the politics of it.. but I wish this freekkin embargo by the US would be lifted....

Cause I'm the first one heading down there!!

Last one down there has to launch + LAnd all of us Very Happy

jp

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 13, 06 2:38 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

You are exactly right. Also, Castro just had intestinal surgery. Read Cancer.....
Once Castro dies or loses power it will only be a matter of time before Cuba returns to Americas playland.
I have heard all the big hotels already have plans drawn up.

WRONG!!!

after Fidel goes his brother takes over, even if he croaked as well the embargo CANNOT be lifted by the president.
The embargo by law can only be lifted by an act of congress and B 4 they can lift it the law says that cuba must be democratic or have the previous regime totally gone

oh yeah, all the big hotels are building like crazy there, but they are all owned by big euro $, more like their playground now Rolling Eyes

Jackal

Since 17 Dec 2005
147 Posts
WS
Stoked

PostWed Sep 13, 06 9:34 am     Reply with quote

BIG R- are you some Miami Cuban mafioso? It's all speculation and opinion bro- chill out.

IMHO, once Fidel is gone, the same revolution fervor that engulfed the country back in 58-59 will again come back, but this time with more capitolisitc intentions towards a freer market economy. As you might have seen, whereever Americans flock to, the landscapes changes with them, and to me, not in the best ways. Not saying Europeans and others are perfect, but the ugly American traveler isn't a myth. Translate that to the isle of Cuba in an unrestrained mass and you have a new gringolandia.

The culture in Cuba, as it is now, is an amazing experience. Its and attraction all to its own. The beaches are gorgeous too and often deserted, especially in our winter months, as most of the Cubans I met thought I was crazy for playing in the "cold" water. they like it HOT. Summertime August hot.

I spent two months biking across the island years ago. I to want to go back before it changes too much.

If you go though, don't go via Canada, as the flight manifesto is reviewed by the US government since the flight travels over US soil. Go through another country, it may work, or not.

dangerD

Since 27 Jun 2005
223 Posts
Bingen Heights
Stoked

PostFri Sep 15, 06 1:11 pm     Reply with quote

Bring cash 'cause the feds are tracking people who use charge cards in Cuba...
Seriously they showed up at my friends doorstep in Chicago!

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 15, 06 3:28 pm     Reply with quote

They can only track you with a card issued by a US bank

You can use an international charge card issued in a foriegn country Confused

I think US citizens aren't allowed to spend more than $100 per trip , prolly why your buddy got "pinched". best to remain financially anonymous with cash

Rolling Eyes

Mex or Venezuela are prolly the better entry points, maybe bahamas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: