Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Stoopid Day at Sauvies - Just Don't Do it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Sep 11, 06 7:45 am    Stoopid Day at Sauvies - Just Don't Do it Reply with quote

Looked promising on Sunday - but just never came up. Brought a fishing rod as a hedge but decided to give the 19m and surfboard a try, enough wind on the beach but the current knocked you down so it was pretty lame (would have been perfect if the current was nuetral).

Kara had a lame time as well - walking the dog down the beach, the Viet Shclong were out in force - never seen so many neked ugly people. She made it through the the thick of it, when dog bolts down the beach and zeros in on something. K was thinking dead pigeon, his favorite, but the dog found a giant rotting salmon and is rolling it like its Channel #5. K grabs the dog and looks down at the salmon and its like covered in a million inch long maggots and dog has mopped up about half a million of them.

Doggy shakes, launching a barrage of maggots over K - she screams in horror - only to scream again when 4 Viet Shclong bust out of the bushes, thier bareback mountain interrupted by screaming loony lady and maggot rasta dog.

Here's a fun video my bro found:

Smirnoff Tea Party
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTU2He2BIc0

Happy Monday.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Sep 11, 06 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Yuck! the image of VS and dog scarfing maggots may never leave me. Shocked

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 11, 06 8:20 am     Reply with quote

Gman,

Watch your dog very carefuly for a few days. Salmon blood contains a bug that can be FATAL for dogs. (No effect on people/cats...) You might consider calling a vet to see if there is anything you should do. My college room mate lost his dog due to something like this. Salmon/trout and dogs do not mix...

Nak

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Sep 11, 06 8:37 am    U take point Reply with quote

Gman: Yes, SI has been quite poor this year. But to make lemonaid out of lemons, now your well conditioned; next time the east wind blows, I'll let u take point on the willow laden Viet-Schlong trail down at RR Razz

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostMon Sep 11, 06 8:44 am     Reply with quote

Gman...Thats some funny stuff....
Actually, same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago w/ the dog rolling around on a dead salmon. Coming back from Eastern Oregon, I stop by Rufus. Pulled over next to the river. Been on the road for 2 hours and maybe the dog wanted to take a piss and jump in the water. So I'm playing fetch with him and before long, he gets a whiff of something in the distance. Next thing you know, he's gone...I figure, no big deal, he probably saw a rabbit, bird or something pretty harmless...Little did I know...Little bastard comes back covered in some white slimmy shit...It was salmon guts...Holy crap...Shit stank like crazy...I was pissed cause I still had another 1 1/2 hour of driving...So I find myself in the water - scrubbing that shit off of him and now I smell like fish...Dude it was horrible.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Sep 11, 06 8:45 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Nak,

You are right - salmon contains nasty dog killing parasites -
Salmon Poisoning:
occurs after consumption of raw salmon or trout carrying rickettsial-infected flatworm (fluke) larvae (Nanophyetus salmincola); affects dogs, foxes, and coyotes primarily in the Pacific northwestern United States; symptoms include high fever, swollen lymph nodes; usually fatal within five days

lucky for us we ran into Erik the kiteboarding vet from Aloha in the parking lot Thumb's Up

set us straight - 2 tablespoons hydrogen peroxide to induce puking (a plastic turkey baster works best to admin)

and prescription of tetracyclene

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 11, 06 9:09 am     Reply with quote

That combo of images has me on the verge of losing my breakfast...

No doubt SI has dealt out some serious skunkage this season...

Having said that, the forecast looks promising for tomorrow for those westsiders & cubical monkeys that can’t make it to the Gorge or coast during the mid-week...

Between some good luck, hot karma & the majic 8-ball I have yet to get skunked this season!! (I’m sure that will change now that I have made the statement... Wink )

~Nads Cool

askagain.gif 
   Cubical Monkey.jpg 

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostMon Sep 11, 06 8:06 pm     Reply with quote

Yeechhh! Shave your dog!!! Maybe Kara too?

Here's a cool video I made-- all on location at Sauvies Island.

Any King Black Acid fans out there?

http://www.eclipsefilms.com/movies/in2sunFIN.mov

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Sep 11, 06 8:50 pm     Reply with quote

Sweet vid Jeff, the time elapse is really cool. I checked out the other ones on your site too. When you are going to bring some of that game to Kiting? Very Happy

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostTue Sep 12, 06 6:46 am     Reply with quote

Yo JK, sweet Vid man...But Dude, PKH is right...you need to mix some of that production w/ kiting...We need to see some new vids w/ some kite action, chicks on the beach with some rockish hip tunes....Sticking to the local scene is awesome.....Helps the local crew represent....

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Sep 12, 06 9:20 am     Reply with quote

Yea, good stuff, JK!!! What main video editing program do you use? Avid, or some other high-end proggy? And did you do a lot of those shots with green screen, or no? Just curious! Thumb's Up

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Sep 12, 06 11:00 am     Reply with quote

We carted a motion control rig out to sauvies with a 60' green screen. We shot for 1 day there then brought it back to the studio and shot for 2 days inside against green. We also had one pick-up shot at trillium lake. Even though shooting took 2-3 days- prep took about 6 weeks and post took about 6 months. I did it with 4 programs, Final Cut HD, After Effects, Maya, and Shake. That's about it. I had one shot that got screwed up so I took it to mission control to do on their flame. There's kind of a glitch between scene 1 and scene 2.

On making kite vids, I would if I could come up with a twist. Cutting shots of kiters going big to music is so mundane. That latest vid from Len10 is really cool--but it's just the same thing again and again. I really liked the kite cam video from Sherman Island earlier this summer. It was an angle that we don't see very often.

I'm always thinking about it..... I just need a sponsor!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Sep 12, 06 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

Damn that's awesome! You shooting with HD cams, and if so, what ones? My buddy, JP (importracer9 99) is still looking into them, but he wants a JVC GY-HD100 with the full 35mm adapter which starts to get really $$$.

And I dunno if he still likes this one after shooting some movies/music videos down in LA over the past few months, but it still looks badass to me!

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 12, 06 5:08 pm     Reply with quote

Awesome vid Jeff - I realy like your style. - Bro, ya gotta use that vision and lay down some more sweet stuff. If not now, when? -C

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostThu Sep 14, 06 3:20 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku,

We actually shot it on 35 --then in transfer I bounced it to HDcam.
Once it was digitized and edited I exported each shot to a 1280 x 720 uncompressed Quicktime. (Don't mess with that Arri video camera--it's 5 times the cost of a Varicam)

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Sep 14, 06 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

Damn man, you guys are ballers! That's definately the way to do it, if you can afford it. Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: