Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Head cut off by kite lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostSun Sep 10, 06 8:49 pm    Head cut off by kite lines Reply with quote

Shocked So i was at Roosevelt this weekend and the camp host informed me that the kite lines can cut ones head off and to watch out for kiteboarders. This made me ponder...Has someone had their head chopped off, completely beheaded, by a kite? Is this really possible? Or still just an urban myth? Should we hire "Myth Busters"?
Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Sep 10, 06 8:51 pm     Reply with quote

it happened to me, luckily they were able to re-attach. They said I had some brain damage, but luckily with my muncipal job I am still way overqualified. Thumb's Up

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostSun Sep 10, 06 8:56 pm     Reply with quote

I've seen an Xray of a missing big toe due to kite lines. I don't think your head would be that much harder to tear off if the conditions were right.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSun Sep 10, 06 9:40 pm    Re: Head cut off by kite lines Reply with quote

Wyo Kiter wrote:
Shocked So i was at Roosevelt this weekend and the camp host informed me that the kite lines can cut ones head off and to watch out for kiteboarders. This made me ponder...Has someone had their head chopped off, completely beheaded, by a kite? Is this really possible? Or still just an urban myth? Should we hire "Myth Busters"?
WELL I HAVE THOUGHT THIS THRU, AND IT WOULD DEPEND ON WHICH HEAD YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT Laughing ,,HOW ABOUT THE AWAKE VIDEO WHEN THE GUY SHOWS YOU HIS NECK FROM THE LINES RAPPING AROUND HIM....THEN THINK OF TENSION ...WHO WANTS TO BE THE GUINNY PIG NOT ME FOR SURE.....HAWK HOW ABOUT YOU???I KNOW LETS GET ONAD Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ..I BET HE IS LOOSING HIS MIND AS WE SPEAK.... Razz Razz TROLL

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Sep 11, 06 8:49 am     Reply with quote

I just don't see it happening as the kite passes through the "window", but perhaps (still doubtful) if they were already wrapped around someone's neck, then you let it fully power up..? Mythbusters gets my vote. Let's see them toss up a 25.5 Machine in 40kts with 800lbs line!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Sep 11, 06 9:03 am     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
I just don't see it happening as the kite passes through the "window"

Not so sure - I was rigging up at Not So Secret and this dude walks to the edge of the water just as crazed kiteboarder cranks a wicked fast down loop missing joe sitting duck's head by 6 inches.

I tell sitting duck his friend is sort of a dick - he replies I don't know that guy.

I suggested we get some rocks - but just then crazy Ivan sailed in and apologized for the near beheading.

I'm thinking if you get the timing right - just under the chin on the powered uploop it could do the trick.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 11, 06 11:55 am     Reply with quote

I dont think that lines could slice someones head clean off. Youd have to cut through bone for that to happen, I just cant see kite lines taking someones head off.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Sep 11, 06 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

That's what I'm saying, Ian... and even taking what you said into consideration, there's still tendons, ligaments, etc. which are tougher than normal tissue...

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Sep 11, 06 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

Unless the kite line had a chance to "rub" / "slice" on you. I think 20 m of spectra could cut your dome off if it had a chance to rub/ burn its way thru. I had some line pass over my bar last year and it burned /rubbed all the way into the carbon.

Or you could get the line looped around and have it garrot you.

Either way I think its best not to find out.

~M

www.naishkites.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Sep 11, 06 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

I guess once you slit the throat its all over, the rest is just a bonus. Confused

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Sep 11, 06 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

I would have to cast my vote for sliced jugular and then rapid bleed to death.

Completely cut your head off..? not likely unless your handle got stuck on something and your kite was flying back and forth and back and forth through the window AND, you have a very skinny neck.

Jackal

Since 17 Dec 2005
147 Posts
WS
Stoked

PostMon Sep 11, 06 2:12 pm     Reply with quote

I think the head needs to be under tension.

crucifunkin

Since 31 Aug 2005
37 Posts

PostMon Sep 11, 06 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

Best bet for total decrapitation would be lines wrapping around neck while your still hooked in (possible, but unlikely) and kite powering up and essentially squeezing your head off. even then getting through the spine would be tough.

This thread should die, it kinda makes the back of my knees hurt.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Sep 12, 06 8:37 am    if you find it Reply with quote

Hey thats mine I was wondering where it went ,I thought it was up my ass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: