Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Does/Can the SS Machine JUMP?!?!
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Mar 10, 05 1:52 pm    Does/Can the SS Machine JUMP?!?! Reply with quote

I've posted this question on kiteforum now on a couple occasions and it appears that the people in know are treating the question like the plague.

Does anyone, Dax???, have any first hand information on it’s jumping ability?

Does it excel at:
1) wake style jumps
2) Old school “pull the trigger”
3) None of the above

I recently heard some second hand comments from John Doyle that indicated #3 was the case.

Is anyone willing to comment on its jumping ability?

jp

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Mar 10, 05 3:58 pm     Reply with quote

Has any big kite ever been good at boosting? Sure I guess they all have great hangtime, but I find unless I am overpowered or near it I never get anywhere above ho-hum jumps on my big kites. Once you get used to jumping on 10-12m kites, everything else seems kind of boring IMO.

Wakestyle is whole other thing though, seems to me it gets even better with big kites as they are so smooth and nice and easy to load up against. That is not to say my wakestyle is all that great... Rolling Eyes

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Mar 10, 05 4:44 pm     Reply with quote

>Has any big kite ever been good at boosting?

Some have been much better than others.

>Sure I guess they all have great hangtime,

I would not consider this to be an accurate assumption.

jp

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Mar 10, 05 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

I guess compared to say a smaller kite in the same line they seem to have more hangtime for the same height jumps... that's just what I have noticed though. Wink

All my sessions lately have been on my 7m, going back to my 16m is going to feel very weird indeed!

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 10, 05 7:53 pm    Jumping on big kites Reply with quote

Not sure how many people have flown the Machine & can give an accurate assessment? As far as I know it is still in testing and won't be available until early summer. I was looking at getting a 20.5m. Looks like a great kite & it’s supposed to have a new leading edge that will give more lift with less drag...

I think body weight & raw strength are factors as well as riding style in boosting on big kites. The more you weigh the more resistance you can apply to the kite during liftoff. On the other hand, you also have more weight to reduce the height & hang time. Personally, I prefer jumping on 13m & 17m kites. To get a decent jump on my 9m it’s got to be blowing 20knts+. Laughing

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Mar 11, 05 12:56 pm    Re: Jumping on big kites Reply with quote

Dano wrote:
I was looking at getting a 20.5m. Looks like a great kite & it’s supposed to have a new leading edge that will give more lift with less drag...
Laughing

Time will tell if it will go down in the books as an all around good kite.

Tony's definitely gone boldly where no other manufacture has with the exception of the Machine's leading edge; it reminded me of the leading edge on my 2001 wipika Freeair 16m. It’s frick’n HUGH!!!

I had a chance to check out a 17.5 in the shop yesterday and it's was at least 20% larger (fatter) than my old 2004 19m fuel.

The 04 19m a.ka. “tractor” is an awesome kite if one wishes to do only wake style no whip tricks however it's lift & glide fell considerably short what the other big blimps had to offer in 2004 (North Naish & Best).

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 28, 05 11:12 am    Slingshot Machine Pictures Reply with quote

Check out these top secret photos...

Arrow http://www.twintail.de/photo-story/photo-story547_1573.htm

PostMon Mar 28, 05 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

It seems to me that slingshots in general do not jump as high. I have not seen them winning any hieght over higher aspects. But what the hell 20 some foot is plenty for me when in the surf.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Mar 28, 05 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

The Slingshot One Line (5th line) looks pretty slick. It actually goes through the chicken loop rope, and is the only 5th line out right now that is on the fly adjustable.

Based on all of the posts from people on KF talking about tweaking 5th line tension, it would be nice to not have to land the kite to do it.

PostMon Mar 28, 05 4:07 pm     Reply with quote

I have better ones, but I ain't posting them. They would not be very "TOP SECRET" if I went and did that...

Bam... out!!!

PostTue Mar 29, 05 1:56 pm     Reply with quote

Can't be all that secret if SS gots da video on their web site for all to see... Cool

Arrow http://www.sskiteboarding.com/water/oneline_detail.htm

PostTue Mar 29, 05 5:51 pm     Reply with quote

bla bla bla...

The questio was and is

Does it excel at:
1) wake style jumps
2) Old school “pull the trigger”
3) None of the above

Is anyone willing to comment on its jumping ability?

anyone? someone?? please share

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Mar 29, 05 6:04 pm     Reply with quote

I think they are still pretty sparse. When I was in ASI just a couple weeks ago they didn't have any yet, that may have changed by now though.

PostWed Mar 30, 05 7:45 am     Reply with quote

Hey Guest,

Bla, bla, bla is frickin right. Are you really expecting answers on such objective questions about a kite that is not even out anyway? I just love it when people ask questions that are eventually going to rely on the riding abilty, personal taste, and generally objective interpretation of the person answering... Betcha get lots of really useful information... NOT!

GO DEMO THE KITE AND ANSWER YOUR OWN QUESTIONS.... And if you purchase a kite without first riding it, then you deserve to get something you don't like...

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Mar 30, 05 7:55 am     Reply with quote

[quote="Anonymous"]Can't be all that secret if SS gots da video on their web site for all to see... Cool

Arrow http://www.sskiteboarding.com/water/oneline_detail.htm[/quote]

Wow, look at that... Slingshot must have just updated thier website within the last couple of days... Cool, so I'll post a few shots of da Machine...

post2.jpg 
   post1.jpg 

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Mar 30, 05 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hey Guest,

Bla, bla, bla is frickin right. Are you really expecting answers on such objective questions about a kite that is not even out anyway? I just love it when people ask questions that are eventually going to rely on the riding abilty, personal taste, and generally objective interpretation of the person answering... Betcha get lots of really useful information... NOT!

GO DEMO THE KITE AND ANSWER YOUR OWN QUESTIONS.... And if you purchase a kite without first riding it, then you deserve to get something you don't like...

Slow Down Mcfly, Shocked

The kite’s been out for sometime now, long enough for people to comment on it's performance.

I’ve already read enough claims that a rider can plane upwind in a Duck fart worth or wind.
That’s great and I’m sure many rider will ‘get off’ over this, however upwind performance is only one of many attributes that manufactures and riders speak to when describing a kite.

Questions regarding how a kite perform are common to every ‘kite forum’ that I’ve come across.

I suppose we'll have to go stick with John Doyle's comments for a second hand sourced comments until someone steps forward and states otherwise.

What's the real dealio here, are you just figuring out you spent 2k for a 'lawn-mower', or do you work for SS and have something to hide?

Bub bye

Like you, a guest Wink

Btw, please pull out a dictionary and explore the differences between , objective and subjective issues..

PostWed Mar 30, 05 1:24 pm     Reply with quote

Ooops yeah... meant subjective... Forgot my coffee before that cross-eyed definition flub. Ha, right... not about to enough to spend that much money on something to "mow grass" when I should be out mountain biking or kayaking...

Still JP... You should know that people asking for subjective bullshit on the "other" Forums rarely get real informative answers and it just leads to brand bashing. You thinking about "wasting" all that money on a kite... No wait, Seattle/Urban Surf rumor has it your a North guy now, so why are you even bothering?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: