Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Coast pics - Manzanita
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 07, 06 8:30 pm    Coast pics - Manzanita Reply with quote

3 days in a row of good wind at Manzanita. Tues on my 6m, Wed on 9m, and today was another 9m day. At least 8 kiters ripping out here today. Here are a few pics I took Thursday. Joe, send me your email, I've got a few more pics you might want.

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostThu Sep 07, 06 9:12 pm     Reply with quote

damn, that looks toight.

anybody out there know why the wind is always cranking there? every forecast and wind sensor i read says it's moving 18-22 all the time. what gives?

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 07, 06 9:28 pm     Reply with quote

actually manzanita sucks. the wind is so "onshore." the windline is so far out it is impossible to kite there. the waves are so cruel. the sensor for sure always reads too high. not really that windy there. local windsurfers are genuine assholes. food joints close early. downwind current makes you feel like a beginner all over again. you dont want to go there. ever. also, the water is wicked frigid.

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostThu Sep 07, 06 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

I can attest. I've been there once. --Please set up south of town if the wind is from the NW! --- IMPORTANT! I talked with many of the local buggy rider folks. Don't go anywhere north of town. It can be way to on/off. WAY TO WIERD. you guys must know this....

The last pic seems to be too far North--must have been west wind.

I broke my ankle about a month ago cause the wind was F*** up MILES from the headland. I got launched on the beach. --40mph to 0mph for just about 5-15 seconds, then back to 40. It even backwinded. Sometime it can suck. (Suck is an understatement)

But I know --It is some of the best ocean riding in Oregon.

Go to Town or south of town--Don't be Dee Dee Dee--
I want to ride there again. If my ankle isn't still is f*'d up.

I know it is the S***!

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostThu Sep 07, 06 10:31 pm     Reply with quote

gabe wrote:
actually manzanita sucks. the wind is so "onshore." the windline is so far out it is impossible to kite there. the waves are so cruel. the sensor for sure always reads too high. not really that windy there. local windsurfers are genuine assholes. food joints close early. downwind current makes you feel like a beginner all over again. you dont want to go there. ever. also, the water is wicked frigid.

Haha, well said Gabe. Any chance this Sunday the coast will get some wind? I want to ride some waves dammit! Is that so much to ask?

A.J.BURNER

Since 06 Sep 2006
8 Posts
WHERE EVER
Kook

PostThu Sep 07, 06 10:53 pm     Reply with quote

gabe wrote:
whatever Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Sep 08, 06 7:25 am     Reply with quote

sweet pics! Manzo is an acquired taste. Very Happy

smokey

Since 24 May 2005
47 Posts
Portland, OR

PostFri Sep 08, 06 8:24 am     Reply with quote

I like that last pic with Neahkahnie in the backround. The mountain is the reason Manzo is windy when the rest of the north coast isn't. NW coastal breeze accelerates down the backside of the mountain which makes for some windy and at times gusty conditions. Onshore is perfect for us goofy footers to go up the line toeside!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Sep 08, 06 8:28 am    Manzobanzo isn't all that bad. Reply with quote

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
119 Posts

Seasoned

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:28 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So when it's not windy in the gorge at the better wind spots like (hatch, Lyle, Rufus. . .) do you go to Rooster for the fickle east winds? Yeah there are better beach spots like the N coast ie south jetty, ship wreck, or Newport. . . but when there is only one spot to ride, what do you do?

Yes many of the facts you pointed out are true: cold water, punchy winds, strong dw current, but in my humble opinion, better to be riding with my posse (the last 3 days) at ManzoBanazo in the "crankin it winds" than to be "spankin it" on the beach or some other non-windy place.

Off to the gorge for day 4 this week. Better get some before its all gone, winter is closing in, fast!

Very Happy Good winds to all!

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostFri Sep 08, 06 11:03 am    manzo suck Reply with quote

Gabe,

I agree with you 100% on Manzo. I think Oceanside is only 1 step better with side to side on winds but is still really punchy.

care to share any N. Coast secret spots for good wind and down the line riding?

I have been wanting to check out the S. Jetty of Nehalem Bay due to the strong winds but havent made it out there yet.

I have found the ship wreck/ft. stevens beach to have mushy waves at best so i dont go up there much.

Anybody else out there have any thoughts on good N. Coast wave spots....?

Ryan

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostFri Sep 08, 06 11:46 am     Reply with quote

I think you guys need to take Gabe's comment with a tad bit of sarcasm. Please correct me if I'm wrong Gabe.

There are definitely people that will stand by everything he said, but there are others including myself that like riding there. Like Phil pointed out, it's an acquired taste. I acquired it on my first day there three years ago once I boosted about 25ft on my 8m Very Happy. Nothing like some nice lofty air to get your heart pumping. Back then the kiter to pole boarder ratio was hugely skewed, but luckily I didn't run into the asshole Gabe mentioned. He's real people, beware. Since then the tides have turned and now there's way more kiters than windsurfers, but I guess that's true at most places. Idea Maybe that's why that one guy is so bitter.

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 09, 06 11:14 am     Reply with quote

gabe wrote:

Correction, sometimes the food joints don't even open. Plus you forgot to mention that there is usually no-one around to help you launch, and if there is, it's probably one of those windsurfers, watch-out !!

I agree on the waves being cruel, they are kite eating machines (I've seen at least 10 ripped kites this year), lost my 12m last year to one too. One of the last times I saw you launch Gabe, you ended dropping your kite in the waves, had to let it wash in to save it. We just had a beginner this week get washed into his lines by a wave, then his Waroo powered up with one of the lines around his leg, luckily no injury as he was able to unwrap the line before there was too much tension on it.

And finally, SHARKS, there was just a sighting last week of a White by a local kiter.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Sep 09, 06 11:55 am     Reply with quote

how far out was the shark? someone saw one at ft stevens also. if/when i break a line 1 mile out near the fog bank, i will think about that.

also, there is no sand on the beach! which makes some self launch techniques hard.

i wrapped my legs in my lines a couple weeks ago when i dropped my kite and relaunched it in waves, but was underpowered and extracted myself in time. please don't remind me of that time i dropped my kite on the first reach of the day by overspinning the bar. what an embarrassment.

see you tomorrow probably.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSat Sep 09, 06 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

gabe wrote:
how far out was the shark? someone saw one at ft stevens also. if/when i break a line 1 mile out near the fog bank, i will think about that.

also, there is no sand on the beach! which makes some self launch techniques hard.

i wrapped my legs in my lines a couple weeks ago when i dropped my kite and relaunched it in waves, but was underpowered and extracted myself in time. please don't remind me of that time i dropped my kite on the first reach of the day by overspinning the bar. what an embarrassment.

see you tomorrow probably.
GO GETTM GABE Twisted Evil Twisted Evil SHOWEM WATTS U ALL ABOUT...STOP BY IF YOU WANT........ Twisted Evil Twisted Evil TROLL

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Sep 10, 06 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

Tucker saw 3 sharks (~4ft) a few months back at Manzo when we were out there on the summer solstice. Luckily I wasn't out as far as he, 'cause if I was, I'd be freakin' the fuck out!

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSun Sep 10, 06 9:19 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
Tucker saw 3 sharks (~4ft) a few months back at Manzo when we were out there on the summer solstice. Luckily I wasn't out as far as he, 'cause if I was, I'd be freakin' the fuck out!
WHAT EVER HE PROB. SAW SOME PORPUSS. Laughing Laughing TROLL

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 12, 06 10:55 pm    INTENSE Reply with quote

Surf has been HUGE for 2 days. Ventured out for 2 hours yesterday in survival mode after the size dropped to about 12'. Had fun with about 6 kiters, a guy from HR was jumping over the 12' waves going out, definately a trick to learn.

Today was similar size. Josh was at his regular spot, Jeff, one of the last windsurfers, was RIPPING in the 12' surf (he's going to be a great kiter one-of-these-days). Me and another kiter did a downwinder to the park, it was INTENSE. Inside was butter smooth, outside was 10-12 faces, biggest I've ever been out in !! Kiting RULES !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: