Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Moon is coming up, Feels like a breeze...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Sep 07, 06 7:51 pm    Moon is coming up, Feels like a breeze... Reply with quote

Night Kite session at the sandbar anyone?

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 07, 06 7:58 pm     Reply with quote

Yah, where's TBR when you need some pyrotechnics to light up the night sky????

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Sep 07, 06 8:39 pm     Reply with quote

It will be 1:00 AM before the moon is overhead.
A little past my bedtime plus I did get a ride in
out at Rufus today.

Hope somebody scores a little moonlight bliss.

A.J.BURNER

Since 06 Sep 2006
8 Posts
WHERE EVER
Kook

PostThu Sep 07, 06 8:54 pm     Reply with quote

i heard that the dudes down @ the lake put glow sticks on the kites for night riding Question is it true :......aaahhhhhhhhhh.........

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Sep 08, 06 8:36 am     Reply with quote

Or just get some photog dude to set up his strobes at the Hatchery Point... I need a few crazy kiters to do the same thing sometime next week at the Sandbar if the wind stays up...

Adios, Jonny

Wyatt Miller goes deep into the night...
 Wyatt Miller goes deep into the night...  post1.JPG 

Last edited by bambam on Fri Sep 08, 06 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jackal

Since 17 Dec 2005
147 Posts
WS
Stoked

PostFri Sep 08, 06 11:21 am    Tonight Full moon sesh 11pm Reply with quote

Tonight at the sandbar around 11- 11:30. Three of us are planning on being there. Heard last night's session was amazing- glassy water, bright moon and good wind.

Bring glowsticks though for kite and kiter.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Sep 08, 06 11:50 am     Reply with quote

Hmmmm, sounds like fun... The wind is looking like it will stay up... Generator is gassed up and the flash media cards empty... Just NO flying through my studio lights!!!

Hey, is that picture I posted visible to everyone? I can't seem to view it anymore from my work machine??? Sorry as it is a windsurfing shot, but Wyatt pretty much rules on that stuff...

Thanks, Jon Malmberg

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Sep 08, 06 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

Can't see it here, Bam! Crying or Very sad

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Sep 08, 06 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

Ahhhh ha... figured out what I accidently did... Instead of pointing at the resized low res version, I accidently picked the full meal deal RAW image.

Here is another one! Someone call me if there is indeed going to be a posse down at the sandbar tonight...

Thanks, Jon Malmberg (541-490-1040)

What out for those lights Wyatt!!!
 What out for those lights Wyatt!!!  post2.JPG 

jp

Since 04 Mar 2005
87 Posts
wherever there are whitecaps

PostFri Sep 08, 06 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

wow...the first pic you posted BamBam is one INcreDible shot...WOW..you can even see the moon in the background....( 2nd shot is awesome too)...

Nice !!

jp

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Sep 08, 06 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks...

I am definitely planning on seeing what I can do with the strobe idea. I was doing a KA Sail shoot awhile back and got frustrated when we lost the light. I tried to just use my regular flash, which just frustrated me even more, and the wheels started turning.

The thought of doing strobed kiting/windsurfing shots was in my head a year ago, but I did not have the gear. When I saw the cover of the last Kiteboarder, I was a little peeved at myself that I did not get on the idea sooner. So, went out found some powerful studio lights, a portable generator, some pocket wizards, and now plan to see how far I can take it... The nice thing having my photography as a hobby right now is that every penny I earn goes right back into photo gear.

Hopefully some kiters will show up tonight at the sandbar as the moon is supposed to be out again in force. I was using a wide angle last night, so the moon looks tiny. If I get some good riders out tonight, I can use a zoom and take pictures from 500 feet away and make the moon DOMINATE the background... Provided the riders can put themselves where I need them.

It is so so hard to not post the really really good ones... Keep your eyes on the windsurfing mags over the next few months...

Adios, Jonny Bammer

Hey Kiters... The moon should be out by around 8:00pm, and we need it low to make this work...

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostFri Sep 08, 06 1:40 pm     Reply with quote

Why do you need the moon low? Can't we just boost higher and still get it in the pic Wink ? Sounds awesome...if I lived in HR I'd totally be there. Guess I'll have to settle for drinking with my buddies tonight Cool

Good luck tonight!

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Sep 08, 06 1:44 pm     Reply with quote

Cause I need to be a fair distance away to change the perspective in order to pull the moon in... Once the moon is high, your going to have to be about a two thousand feet up to put yourself between me and it...

Kinda like these two...

Jon

Sledding off a very hazy Hospital Hill...
 Sledding off a very hazy Hospital Hill...  post.JPG 

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostFri Sep 08, 06 1:55 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured as much. So what's the technique for boosting 2000ft high again besides jumping off a mountain? Seriously though, I wonder what the highest anyone's ever gone on a kite without jumping off something. I remember the video of that guy on Oahu that got lofted into the air right in front of Top Hat guy and I'd say he was a few hundred feet in the air at some point. I'm really glad he came out of that in one piece.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Sep 08, 06 7:35 pm     Reply with quote

Just left the sandbar after trying to get an evening session in... Wind died...completely...

Going drinking instead now...

Jon

skydiveblake

Since 28 Jun 2006
63 Posts
San Diego

PostSat Sep 09, 06 6:10 am     Reply with quote

Those are sweet shots, BamBam - nice work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: