Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kite idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

PostTue Jun 07, 05 8:33 am    kite idea Reply with quote

I was wondering if its possible to put a zipper or adjustable opening in a larger kite to "depower" it. My idea would have a zipper or two running from the leading edge back. You could open a the zipper a little or alot depending on the wind. This way one kite say a 16m could "spill" air and feel like a 12m or a 8m.
If this idea would work it would make kite adjustablity very easy.
Mark

kazi

Since 02 May 2005
19 Posts

PostTue Jun 07, 05 8:59 am     Reply with quote

RRD has this and it looks like even WindWing had it at some point. I'm not sure why WindWing dropped the idea.

Anyone know anyone that uses the RRD Type kites and how often they use the zipper feature?

oops...duh...your talking about venting not increasing surface area..my bad

Last edited by kazi on Tue Jun 07, 05 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

mit_noslrac

Since 17 May 2005
108 Posts
Bend Oregon
Stoked

PostTue Jun 07, 05 9:12 am    http://www.zeroprestige.org/ Reply with quote

Talk with these guys- Sal is great!

PostTue Jun 07, 05 9:45 am     Reply with quote

Ive always thought some vents might be good to slow down smaller
kites. Maybe some mesh openings in the canopy behind the leading
edge. Maybe with a cover that streches open when pressure diff. gets high enough. Concept is to relieve some of the pressure difference and introduce some turbulence to keep the kite from squirting around so much Remember slotted fins? Size and placement would take some experimentation though.

Call me if you want it developed further.... I'm into that sort of thing.

Hein

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostTue Jun 07, 05 4:15 pm     Reply with quote

i have an rrd type 6 that has the single zipper. i find that it does work for powering (zipped up) and depowering(zipped out) well. the idea is like a leach line in your sailboat main sail. you tighten the leach for a little more curve to keep the wind in and open it to dump wind.

as for windwing, they did use zippers but, found that by using the 2nd(back) connection point on the leading edge pigtail did just about the same thing as a zipped up zipper.

kt

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostTue Jun 07, 05 6:41 pm     Reply with quote

I've seen a pretty cool mesh-type system on a few HQ stunt kites (used to work in a traditional kite shop on the coast as a summer job). Zippers are way, way too heavy for these kites, so what they did on the higher wind models was have specific panels be filled by two layers of mesh with an opening between the two pieces on one side of the panel. When the wind dropped to the point where the mesh opening was no longer needed, you could take these similar shaped pieces of clear mylar included with the kite and slip them through the opening between the two pieces of mesh and seal off the entire panel.

I'm wondering if something like this could be incorporated effectively on an LEI?

PostSun Jun 12, 05 9:53 am     Reply with quote

hmmm there must some cool ideas out there.

COLOMBIANO

Since 24 Apr 2005
21 Posts

PostSun Jun 12, 05 10:09 am    Great Idea!! Reply with quote

HEllo!

Did anyone read "The Tipping Point"
I think your idea will make millions to many of the possible customers who can not afford to pay for many kites. NOw what we need are guys who can think out of the box and make it happen. We need some transseters. Some transmiters... some guy like that to make it happen.

HEY THE BANK OF AMERICA STARTED LIKE THAT
TO MAKE THINKS AVALABLE TO EVERYONE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: