Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Another killer weekend at the coast?
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Aug 16, 06 8:20 am    Another killer weekend at the coast? Reply with quote

Now that it's the middle of the week it's time to get pumped for the weekend. Looks like another potential weekend with great wind at the coast while the Gorge gets skunked. Here's extended forecast:

Saturday:
The ridge breaks down and the thermal trough moves to the NE. Gorge wind light but switching to west late in the day. Sauvies NW 12-16. Jones Beach west 18-22 late. North Coast NW 16-20 with stronger wind at Manzanita. Central Coast NW 15-19. South Coast NW to SW in the 10-14 range. NW swell 7 feet.

Manzanita with 25+ wind and overhead waves...mmm...tasty Very Happy

Gabe, John, and Man (sorry if I misspelled your name) you guys listening?

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 16, 06 8:28 am    Re: Another killer weekend at the coast? Reply with quote

Quote:

Manzanita with 25+ wind and overhead waves...mmm...tasty Very Happy

Gabe, John, and Man (sorry if I misspelled your name) you guys listening?

Listening?!?

We're already planning the logistics for down winders.

All in all what an amazing season the coast has seen!!!!
I have to even give props to the gorge... the viento to sand bar options has shed new light on dealing with all the kooks the corridor brings... and then there’s' Roosie to 3 Mile!!! Mmm!!!!

Oh, The plan is to take it all the way to Crow Butte the next big blow out east... and fall is big winds in the east season!!!!

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 16, 06 8:46 am     Reply with quote

no doubt, it is on. only question is will it be windy enough for ft stevens, or do we blast at manzo. for long range forecasts, i just read the fcst discussion. if they say high pressure offshore or ridge, then manzo appears to pretty much be a definite.

http://www.wunderground.com/DisplayDisc.asp?DiscussionCode=PQR&StateCode=OR&SafeCityName=Seaside

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 16, 06 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Surprised I think overhead waves could be a bit much for my level of riding Gene! if i could jump over them like you it would be a different story, i have to somehow negotiate them on the surface!

I'll see how it looks but yes I'll be riding somewhere for sure, so please keep me posted. If there is no wind in the gorge and the waves are huge I'll just fart around at shipwreck, that way if i get washed up i won't have to walk miles back to my car... Very Happy

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 16, 06 8:56 am     Reply with quote

Laughing who knows though, maybe i'll just double up on life jackets and give it my best shot Shocked

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 16, 06 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Gabe, did you say you ride the surfboard even when its big like that? do you just time it right and make sure you don't get to the lip right as its cresting? i hit the lip of some of those 4-5footers last weekend and that was some serious power in all that moving water, i can image its exponential from there as the waves get bigger

we need a emoticon for scared like a whimpering dog Very Happy

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Aug 16, 06 9:22 am     Reply with quote

gabe wrote:
no doubt, it is on. only question is will it be windy enough for ft stevens, or do we blast at manzo.

I would definitely be down for Manzo (at least one of the days) unless Ft. Stevens is blowing hard again with 20+. I just can't say no to more wind and bigger waves (and Manzo seems to win in both departments). We can try that short downwinder idea to give us some playing room. Btw, did you stay and ride Monday Gabe?

Oh, and John, the only skill you need to start riding bigger waves is the ability to turn around really fast and start hauling ass in the other direction Smile , but we'll keep an eye on conditions for Ft. Stevens and swell size. Maybe Gabe will keep us updated with his magic weather ball.

Only downside is that we have two more works days...

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 16, 06 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Mabye it wouldn't be so bad then...

what do you do if you get rolled up in one of those big waves? pull the pin or just hang on?

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Aug 16, 06 9:57 am     Reply with quote

jkjolsing wrote:
Mabye it wouldn't be so bad then...

what do you do if you get rolled up in one of those big waves? pull the pin or just hang on?

Haha, good question. Well Gabe as the wise surfing man recommends letting the kite go unless you can relaunch it right away. I haven't done that when it's happened to me and been lucky enough to have my kite survive (I guess I'm "attached" to my kite and don't like letting it go). The good thing at the coast here is that if a big wave does take you down by the time your kite crashes you're probably reasonably close to shore where the waves are smaller or whitewash from the bigger waves. Last time at Manzanita I was able to get the kite to float above the waves for a bit by pulling hard on the 5th line, which certainly helped. It's up to you to make the call, just make sure no baby seals get tangled in your lines if you let your kite go Wink

PS Baby seals include innocent beach goers and houses and cars.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 16, 06 10:29 am     Reply with quote

if you have a deserted beach with perfect sand and big dunes it makes the decision easy. it won't work everywhere though. kiting in big waves above a rocky shore would be gnarly.

i like this for swell forecast: http://magicseaweed.com/Cannon-Beach-Surf-Report/313/detailedLongRange/us/

i hope it drops 1-2ft.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Aug 16, 06 10:40 am     Reply with quote

Damn, 9ft swell at 8 seconds. That could cause some fast pound you into the ground surf. I certainly wouldn't mind if it came down a couple feet either, otherwise I might need to get my hands on a strapped surfboard or at least a floatier mutant of some sort. Anyone have an extra one they're willing to loan out or let me demo for the weekend Very Happy ? I'd be interested in buying one if I like it.

So are any of us actually working or just reading up on kiteboarding???

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 16, 06 10:46 am     Reply with quote

genek wrote:
Damn, 9ft swell at 8 seconds. That could cause some fast pound you into the ground surf. I certainly wouldn't mind if it came down a couple feet either, otherwise I might need to get my hands on a strapped surfboard or at least a floatier mutant of some sort. Anyone have an extra one they're willing to loan out or let me demo for the weekend Very Happy ? I'd be interested in buying one if I like it.

So are any of us actually working or just reading up on kiteboarding???

I'd take the forecast with grain of sand.
Two weeks ago the forecast was 8'. We got 4'.
This weekend the forecast ~5' and for the most part it was FLAT.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 16, 06 10:56 am     Reply with quote

Letting go is the only safe way to get out of those conditions for the pilot and the kite.

I've have to cut free more times than I'd like to admit and each case swam in next to kite with no issues or harm to any ‘baby seals’… seessh……………...

Keyboarding fundamental, 101.

- Resistance creates power.
- Resisting the kite when a wall of water is dumped on it snaps them in two.

The technique I use was given to me by IKO examiners David Tyberski in 2002 standing at Waddell on a solid 8' day.

Learn to let go, the kite you save might be your own...

genek wrote:

Haha, good question. Well Gabe as the wise surfing man recommends letting the kite go unless you can relaunch it right away. I haven't done that when it's happened to me and been lucky enough to have my kite survive (I guess I'm "attached" to my kite and don't like letting it go). The good thing at the coast here is that if a big wave does take you down by the time your kite crashes you're probably reasonably close to shore where the waves are smaller or whitewash from the bigger waves. Last time at Manzanita I was able to get the kite to float above the waves for a bit by pulling hard on the 5th line, which certainly helped. It's up to you to make the call, just make sure no baby seals get tangled in your lines if you let your kite go Wink

PS Baby seals include innocent beach goers and houses and cars.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Aug 16, 06 11:18 am     Reply with quote

J.P. wrote:
Letting go is the only safe way to get out of those conditions for the pilot and the kite.

I've have to cut free more times than I'd like to admit and each case swam in next to kite with no issues or harm to any ‘baby seals’… seessh……………...

Thanks for the advice. It's only happened a few times to me and the surf was always pretty small plus I was right next to the shore. Different situation at Waddell with 8ft waves. I was just giving a heads up about letting kite go in case there's a bunch of people on the beach or swimming in the water. Not usually a problem in Oregon, but more so in California. Let's hope none of us have to do this next weekend Smile

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 16, 06 11:25 am     Reply with quote

i have lost my board in the "impact zone" before and had 2-3 decent sized waves pound me before i got it back. that was maybe 5-7 foot swell. apparently it looked scary from shore as my wife pulled out the cell phone, dialed 9-1, and placed her finger gently on 1.

bear in mind the waves will push you into the beach, and if the wave pushes you under the kite and slacks the lines then the kite drops and your bummin. so if you are getting pounded i think it was better to park the kite on the ocean side, not the beach side, and maybe even sine the kite slightly while you are getting the foam treatment.

i don't think hard-core surfers consider 6-8 foot swell "double black diamond" conditions and those guys get laid out by closing waves all the time.

the biggest concern i think is running into the wave as it's closing. this will feel a bit like running full tilt into a brick wall and is to be avoided. slow down, let the wave crash, then power up and ride over the foam. SLE's excel at this - with C's i used to just do two quick transitions.

kites and waves just work together. it's cool.

Last edited by pjc on Wed Aug 16, 06 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Aug 16, 06 11:50 am     Reply with quote

good tips in here! I have ran into the "brick wall" a few times thinking "eh its just water" but waves are a different ball game I guess, and I got slammed hard. I remember hearing of a kiter in germany who died (last year I think) by (acidentally) doing one of those super low fast jumps right into a wave face. snapped his neck. Sad

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 16, 06 1:18 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
good tips in here! I have ran into the "brick wall" a few times thinking "eh its just water" but waves are a different ball game I guess, and I got slammed hard. I remember hearing of a kiter in germany who died (last year I think) by (acidentally) doing one of those super low fast jumps right into a wave face. snapped his neck. Sad

That doen's suprise me at all.

I nearly blew the ACL in my lead leg earilier this summer due to my poor timing and thinking 'i'll 'power through'.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: