Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiteloops... rough on the knees?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Aug 16, 06 8:52 am     Reply with quote

Damn Ian, I didn't realize that it snapped while you had it connected to your Oneline. It's one of those '06 leashes with the thin Spectra core, huh? I haven't had any problems with mine taking a few hits while just locked onto my chicken loop, but the '05s seemed a lot tougher overall (new ones look cleaner though).

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Aug 16, 06 11:20 am     Reply with quote

I haven't had any problems with my knees; my kiteloops seem to hurt my face more than anything.

PK, I would stay on the 600mg of ibuprofin 4x/day until things get better. A neoprene brace wil also eliminate some of the "slop" in your knee joint and help it cope with the shock.

"Take care of your knees, you'll miss them when their gone"- the sunscreen song.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed Aug 16, 06 11:47 am     Reply with quote

The only thing that really helps is ICE.
20min on, 20 min off repeat 2 to 3 X daily.

Also try an Ice massage, get a dixi cup (paper cup 8 oz size) freeze water in it, peal it back like a burrito, and rub on you sore area without stopping for 10 min. Don't do it longer it can be bad.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Aug 16, 06 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

Suck it up with some Lidocaine shots in the knee, or if that seems a little extreme, some Vicodin should do the trick! Very Happy

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostWed Aug 16, 06 1:03 pm     Reply with quote

I was under the impression that ice was only usefull for the firt 48 or so hours after injury to reduce swelling. Ibu should keep it under control. glucosamine is the wonder drug for joint tissue. It's like wd40 for your joints, good stuff, really helped my shoulder a few years back.

The only thing I would steer away from would be cortizone shots, they can weaked your connective tissue.

Just rent some movies. Smile

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed Aug 16, 06 1:11 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
I was under the impression that ice was only usefull for the firt 48 or so hours after injury to reduce swelling. Ibu should keep it under control. glucosamine is the wonder drug for joint tissue. It's like wd40 for your joints, good stuff, really helped my shoulder a few years back.

Ice will help at any time as it increases blood flow to the effected area. It is best during the first 48hrs but is very effective anytime. Ice to long is bad, your body cannot keep the area warm enough and can cause more damage as it will kill off cells.

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 16, 06 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

Glucosomine and Chondroitin supplement are supposed to do wonders with over-used joints and tendonitis. I think Coscto sells a big tub of the pills!

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostThu Aug 17, 06 6:36 am     Reply with quote

I haven't been able to play since early Feb. complete acl and mcl tear from landing a 3 or 4 foot jump on my snowboard. I was carrying a bag and so was standing a little wierd to compensate. It doesn't take much if you land just alittle wrong. Make sure that your knee is over your foot, not between your feet or outside. that will keep the stress in your muscle system.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 17, 06 7:18 am     Reply with quote

good point. i remember when snowboarding first started up, and people were shredding their knees from using a stance close to what we use on the kiteboard.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Aug 17, 06 7:21 am     Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:
Ice will help at any time as it increases blood flow to the effected area. It is best during the first 48hrs but is very effective anytime. Ice to long is bad, your body cannot keep the area warm enough and can cause more damage as it will kill off cells.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Ice-i.e. cold constricts your blood vessels and reduces blood flow to the affected area--that is why it reduces swelling. You shiver on a cold day because your body is reducing blood flow to your extremities to keep your core body warm.

Heat increases blood flow as the body dialates your blood vessels and attempts to cool itself through evoporation. It is also why hot tubs, saunas, etc are effective at relieving muscle pains and improving flexibility.

Regardless, icing and heating mostly help muscle pain. Unfortunately, there are not allot of muscles in and around your kneww. It's all connective tissues and ligaments that are prone to stretching and tearing from impacts they were not designed for.

I would go to a good sports medicine doctor and see what he has to say.

Sorry if my post seems all "this is how it is" most of my job involves technical writing and thus, this is how I have leaned to write.

You could always...avoid kite loops Shocked

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 17, 06 7:22 am     Reply with quote

tonski wrote:
Glucosomine and Chondroitin supplement are supposed to do wonders with over-used joints and tendonitis. I think Coscto sells a big tub of the pills!

It does and I live by it during ski season were I tend to put in to 50-60 days on snow a year.

Last edited by J.P. on Thu Aug 17, 06 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Aug 17, 06 9:16 am     Reply with quote

Never, ever, use heat on an injury in the first 24 hours. Ice is the accepted treatment that any athlete should use on sports injuries, including the knee. Ice will help minimize inflammation; swelling of the tissue slows the body’s ability to heal the injury. After 24 hours heat can be added to help the effectiveness of the ice. Ice the affected area for 10-15 minutes followed by 10-15 minutes of moist heat. This treatment should be repeated 3-5 times per day. See a doctor if the pain seems more than minor, or if the condition lasts longer than a week without improvement.

The knee, and other joints, can be difficult to treat because of low blood flow in the area. Physical therapy may significantly reduce the time required for the injury to heal.

Continuing to aggravate the injury can turn a minor, short term, injury into a chronic ailment that could severely limit your ability to continue in the sport. Refrain from stressing the injured area until the pain is gone. When it comes to taking care of a sports injury: If it hurts, don't do it.

Cross training can minimize your risks of experiencing sports injuries. Try cycling, swimming, running or weight training on the side...

Good Winds!
Nak

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 20, 06 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

phil,
man, the thing you need to watch for and avoid is called AGING, but to date there is only one cure, and it is i believe worse than the disease.

lots of good cheap advise here, which is usually sort of mutually exclusive.

one thing not mentioned is prevention: i for one DO NOT believe that you can kite yourself into a physical condition that allows for injury-free kiting. as with all high impact sports, one must prepare, or after the gift of youth has been recalled, injuries are sure to follow.

look hard at road- or mountain-biking. strong quads are a must for preventing acl and other knee injuries. and it gives you a great ass that makes women hot. Rolling Eyes

good luck on the knees.

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostSun Aug 20, 06 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Never, ever, use heat on an injury in the first 24 hours. Ice is the accepted treatment that any athlete should use on sports injuries, including the knee. Ice will help minimize inflammation; swelling of the tissue slows the body’s ability to heal the injury. After 24 hours heat can be added to help the effectiveness of the ice. Ice the affected area for 10-15 minutes followed by 10-15 minutes of moist heat. This treatment should be repeated 3-5 times per day. See a doctor if the pain seems more than minor, or if the condition lasts longer than a week without improvement.

The knee, and other joints, can be difficult to treat because of low blood flow in the area. Physical therapy may significantly reduce the time required for the injury to heal.

Continuing to aggravate the injury can turn a minor, short term, injury into a chronic ailment that could severely limit your ability to continue in the sport. Refrain from stressing the injured area until the pain is gone. When it comes to taking care of a sports injury: If it hurts, don't do it.

Cross training can minimize your risks of experiencing sports injuries. Try cycling, swimming, running or weight training on the side...

Good Winds!
Nak

has anyone heard of the saying...RICE?

rest,ice,compression, elevation......sure fire ticket to getting back on the water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: