Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Windwing in Hood River
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bluevwguy

Since 09 Jun 2011
5 Posts

Kook

PostThu Jun 09, 11 12:14 pm    Windwing in Hood River Reply with quote

Anyone know if Windwing still has a store in Hood River?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 09, 11 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

No they don't. But they have a crack house down by the waterfront boat works.
If you know the secret knock you might be able to purchase some product.

mystery curd

Since 14 Jun 2010
98 Posts
Floating

PostThu Jun 09, 11 12:58 pm    nice... Reply with quote

<No they don't. But they have a crack house down by the waterfront boat works.
If you know the secret knock you might be able to purchase some product.>

That is hilarious!

MKHR

Since 28 Aug 2007
116 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostThu Jun 09, 11 2:29 pm     Reply with quote

Hilarious.

I swear to god that building looks like it is going to spontaneously combust one of these hot summer days........

JMatic

Since 12 Aug 2008
252 Posts
Boise, In Dat Ho
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 09, 11 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

Don't risk it....a friend of mine got the knock wrong and next you know from out of the glory hole pops out a______.

This did not happen at Rooster either.

scottman

Since 08 Jun 2007
149 Posts
hillsboro
Stoked

PostThu Jun 09, 11 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

LMAO

Cap

Since 12 Mar 2008
50 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Jun 09, 11 9:30 pm     Reply with quote

But if you're one of the Lucky Few like Boardin' Bob, A-Train or The Cap, you get taking care of and kite on the best kites the Gorge has to offer. The rest of you, stand in line and try to figure out the Secret Knock.
The Cap

wakeup

Since 11 Sep 2005
328 Posts
always
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 10, 11 5:58 am     Reply with quote

^^^^^ best kites in the gorge, hahaha
this thread just keeps gettin better

windwing kite

Since 14 May 2007
15 Posts

PostFri Jun 10, 11 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

LOL...the building does look dilapidated and is scheduled to be torn down for a hotel come January. Were busy building a new "crack house" in Mosier and business hours are by appointment only and on-line at windexpress.com. As to the Secret Knock there really is no secret... a simple knock at the door you might find Atrain, one of kiteboarding's premier ambassador...full of positive energy, respect and good wishes for everyone...as far as the best...the Gorge has to offer...please, we like to keep that a secret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkipSWffRx4&feature=player_embedded

alleycat

Since 29 Jun 2006
176 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSat Jun 11, 11 8:08 am     Reply with quote

I love flying my 12M batwing once in a blue moon.....the coolness factor is off the charts..

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostSat Jun 11, 11 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

alleycat wrote:
I love flying my 12M batwing once in a blue moon.....the coolness factor is off the charts..

Speaking of which, anyone have any batwings for sale?

Cap

Since 12 Mar 2008
50 Posts
Hood River

PostSat Jun 11, 11 9:43 pm     Reply with quote

Which Batwings are you looking for? I have a 2009 12M, which I think is one of the fastest kites made, but not great for relaunch. It could win the Race Series with the right rider. I've been able to keep up with the WS racers with it. I also have a 15.5 that I just don't use much in the Gorge. It's only been used once in FL, a couple of times here and once snowkiting. I talked to John today at the ES, I'm not sure what he has in stock but if you need to know the Secret Knock, let me know. Did you see A-Train today, sans wetsuit, boosting on his Batwing 10M? That kite has an amazingly wide range. John says he has some new 3-Strut Batwings for us to try. I can't wait.
Cap

alleycat

Since 29 Jun 2006
176 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Jun 13, 11 8:07 pm     Reply with quote

Um...why would you want to spend actual money on a batwing??? It was fun a few years ago but there are at least 200 different kites that fly better and will have a chance of launching built since 2008. I nick-name the Batwing, "Captain Velcro" because it sticks to the water like glue once it hits the water....not even god himself can re-launch that fucker...honestly I would never fly that kite in the gorge/river...if you do please make sure that you knife is sharp easily accessed...

MikeC

Since 16 Sep 2009
13 Posts

PostTue Jun 14, 11 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Alley Cat, I guess you didn't watch the video above of the Bat relaunching it self... Its funny we coined the name in Jersey "the Teflon Don" because it never sticks to the water!
It relaunches itself... Just a shit load of fun to fly in a wide wide range.
Love the kite... Maybe you missed it check it out.
http://youtu.be/gkipSWffRx4

Mike

alleycat

Since 29 Jun 2006
176 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue Jun 14, 11 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

Oh yes of course I have seen that video....I agree the kite is fun to fly..in a retro kite kinda fun way...and I still believe that the kite looks super cool in the air...

My challange to you is to go out in water that is well over your head...lose the board and then attempt a relaunch...the kite being relaunched in the video has the pilot standing in waist deep water, pretty much any kite can relaunch in that circumstance.. However, most of the time when I re-launch my kite I am deep water and lost the board...Sorry but in re-life situations like that you are best to start swimming and like I stated earlier carry a sharp knife if you are in any kind of shipping lane.

Juat throwing it our there...maybe the 2012 kites are a lot better than the 2008...but I wouldn't take the chance..

PS if you want the kite to perfom at it's best use a Slingshot Rev 13M bar...makes the kite even more fun to fly...but again don't crash it...I tell myself that everytime I attempt a trick...not a good last thought. With my REVs I simply do not give the slightest thought to re-launch...I know they will every time...

MikeC

Since 16 Sep 2009
13 Posts

PostTue Jun 14, 11 1:18 pm     Reply with quote

Alleycat wrote"My challenge to you is to go out in water that is well over your head...lose the board and then attempt a relaunch...the kite being relaunched in the video has the pilot standing in waist deep water, pretty much any kite can relaunch in that circumstance.. However, most of the time when I re-launch my kite I am deep water and lost the board.."

Done that not an issue.
You got it... I will get in on video next time I'm out in the deep.
Relaunch is considerable easier on 2012 than is was on the 2008... I do remember the velcro effect in the 2008.
I have been in deep ocean water with 2010 and the 2012 dropped the kite and launched in seconds before the wave would have crunched it.
Relaunch hasn't been an issue since the 2010

Mike

alleycat

Since 29 Jun 2006
176 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue Jun 14, 11 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

While flying my BatWing, I was in a "deep ocean situation" and was saved by the Cuban Navy while kiting of the coast of Cayo Guillermo, Cuba...Awsome experience climbing aboard a giant black cloud/smoke gererating 50 foot boat that seemed to be running on only one of it's 8 cylinders. Once on board the Captain handed me a pack of smokes and a very tall glass of rum (no ice, no coke). They called me the loco kite flyer...That was the last time I flew the BatWing in open seas...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: