Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Windwing in Hood River
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
MikeC

Since 16 Sep 2009
13 Posts

PostTue Jun 14, 11 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

That is some crazy shit AlleyCat.... That would have put the fear of the Bat in me too... I guess Robin was no where to be found...that son of a bitch... Where's Boarding Bob when you need him... on the beach drinking a girly drink... and your out in Cuban waters looking like an antipasti for some big fishes.

Man I guess that experience left a mark.
I only go out in the ocean in side or side on conditions so if I were to get in a situation it wouldn't involve a Cuban rescue... or a Bat call to Robin.
OK now I know where your coming from, little gun shy for the BatWing.
I say if you get a chance to fly the 2012 BAT give it a go you will be impressed with the improvements. You may need to see a shrink first though??
I know I might if I was floating in Cuban waters for some time.

Mike

FlyDunes

Since 09 Oct 2007
1034 Posts
Aloha
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 14, 11 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

this is the most entertaining thread since the Honeybadger Smile Maybe PDX-MB will update his logo to a batwing.

windwing kite

Since 14 May 2007
15 Posts

PostTue Jun 14, 11 10:46 pm     Reply with quote

MikeC wrote:
Where's Boarding Bob when you need him... on the beach drinking a girly drink... and your out in Cuban waters looking like an antipasti for some big fishes.

Mike

Let's don't be hard on Boarding "Robing" Bob after all, he was a major part of the design team that made all WW kites relaunch better and he found a way to completely take the bar pressure out of the Bats.

Still, he insist on flying those Robinge II...I mean Rampage II kite instead of the real Batasses...But, he is now waiting in line to fly the new 3 strut Bats that are coming out of the Bat-Works.

BTW: Here is another video. How this Australian customer got a top secret 3 strut Bat 15.5 from the Bat Cave, is a mystery. Once he flew the thang, he wouldn't give it back. He did however send us a link to a video he made down...under, there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpCmoss_Igg&feature=player_embedded

batwing_forever

Since 14 Jun 2011
1 Posts

PostTue Jun 14, 11 11:29 pm     Reply with quote

hey dudes,

I am the Australian Customer!

I ride a 2010 batwing 10m, and the new 3 struts 15.5 that i managed to steal from the crack house when everyone was high and not looking (not that it would have made a difference).

before riding the batwing, i was riding a cabrinha switchy 12m 2010.

things i like about the kite :

- the coolness factor is unbeatable, every single time i'm on the water, i get the crowds, and the groupies.
- the turning speed is awesome ( well it is for me anyway), and i can get going in 10/12 knots with the 10m totally depowered on flat water ( my weight is 78 kilos).
(11/13 mph) and 171 pounds.

A lot of people where i live ride the latest of the best, and they wonder why the batwing doesn't fly like a brick, and they can see it doesn't.
I used to get a lot of laughs and shit from some of the guys at the beach, until they actually saw it in action. Now i get some very decent respect.

They come around and actually "touch" the X-Ply , wonder how it flies with that particular canopy shape, etc etc... but it does.

I'm sure the other kites are also great, and some may be better than my bat, but i'm really comfortable with it, it suits my riding style, so i wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Today, whilst doing some unhooked stuff, i stuffed up and let go of the bar
to grab the chicken loop, that's when i realised i forgot to connect the safety leach, suddenly i was running after something that really looked like a (yellow) bat flying away... Smile

lucky for me the wind died and i got it back.

C>

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Jun 15, 11 8:31 am     Reply with quote

alleycat wrote:
While flying my BatWing, I was in a "deep ocean situation" and was saved by the Cuban Navy while kiting of the coast of Cayo Guillermo, Cuba...Awsome experience climbing aboard a giant black cloud/smoke gererating 50 foot boat that seemed to be running on only one of it's 8 cylinders. Once on board the Captain handed me a pack of smokes and a very tall glass of rum (no ice, no coke). They called me the loco kite flyer...That was the last time I flew the BatWing in open seas...

Cuba Libre Thumb's Up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

farwellbooth

Since 28 Oct 2008
26 Posts
Seattle

PostWed Jun 15, 11 10:49 am     Reply with quote

Did/does Bill Hansen design these? Great sails way back when...

Cap

Since 12 Mar 2008
50 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Jun 15, 11 1:08 pm     Reply with quote

Cap and a Bat head into the ocean.

CapnBat@OceansideSm.jpg 

MikeC

Since 16 Sep 2009
13 Posts

PostFri Jun 17, 11 9:35 am     Reply with quote

Holy Cow Bat Man, I just got to fly the 2012 Bat 10 pro to type, Very impressive, turns easy and fast but extremely stable. That being said it feels like it has the power and hang time of a 12, I was riding in Bat 15.5 conditions when I put the new 10 bat up and wasn't expecting much. Really surprised me. I will capture some video for the full review.

Mike

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Oct 28, 15 10:49 am     Reply with quote

Anyone have a contact for Windwing?
thanks.

Hatchetthrower

Since 20 Mar 2013
43 Posts

PostWed Oct 28, 15 11:55 am     Reply with quote

I have a 2007 windwing rampage 9.5 that I learned on, now its back at my parents in VT so I can use it when I am home visiting. Damn fine kite, good all around and I like the way it jumps. The simple pulley-less bridle was pretty ahead of its time. I think the 800 battens were overkill and make the canopy wear out when you fold it up but other than that its a great kite.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 28, 15 3:05 pm    HANSEN DESIGNS Reply with quote

If you are interested in Bill Hansen designed kites from this century, check out Switch Kites. Factory direct kites designed by Bill with the input of Felix Pivec and Nick Jackobsen.(sorry if I got your name wrong Nick)
I'm gonna pick some up since Slingy screwed me over. Very well made kite, very burly build. I'll get back with a review after I try em out. Cheers, Marc

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 28, 15 4:37 pm    Re: HANSEN DESIGNS Reply with quote

dangler wrote:
If you are interested in Bill Hansen designed kites from this century, check out Switch Kites. Factory direct kites designed by Bill with the input of Felix Pivec and Nick Jackobsen.(sorry if I got your name wrong Nick)
I'm gonna pick some up since Slingy screwed me over. Very well made kite, very burly build. I'll get back with a review after I try em out. Cheers, Marc

Hi Marc, do you know if compstick bar works well with Switch kites?

windwing kite

Since 14 May 2007
15 Posts

PostThu Oct 29, 15 1:14 pm     Reply with quote

WINDWING UPDATE: For those interested, Windwing has moved out of the Crack House and moved into the tranquility of Mosier, just 10 miles up stream of the Columbia River. We've been clean, chilling and enjoying the good life but still service the few who know the secret knock. You can always call 541-386-3861 if you need a part or see what we have in stock. Just leave a message and maybe someone will get back to you. Surprised)

Any current models of the new Batwing 3 struts or the Rampage III's are on special order status. It's a shame because these new generation kites have performance innovations not found in any other brands. They're even more spectacular than claims made on various posts here (thank you) of past years. We are proud of the many new models made on Windwing kites and sails since 2007, these were the leap years after our parting with the brand's founding designer.

Windwing was never interested in the arms race but always in their quiet innovation. We will always maintain the spirit of the crack house and will keep listening for that secret knock. ENJOY!

225057_219538604729727_1138095_n.jpg 

Last edited by windwing kite on Sat Nov 21, 15 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostThu Oct 29, 15 7:02 pm    Get me some crack! Reply with quote

Got the secret knock all figured out I'm hitching to Mosier! Love me some Batwing and really like to Rampage too. This is a sacred brand on the ridge top and i know it'll carry on, gotta love Big John, Boardin Bob, ATrain and JJ!

alleycat

Since 29 Jun 2006
176 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Oct 30, 15 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

I would love to try out a 12m batwing again. Next season I will call the hotline when I am in town.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostSun Nov 01, 15 8:03 pm    Re: HANSEN DESIGNS Reply with quote

dangler wrote:

I think you mean Marc Jacobs.

Nick Jacobsen rides for Cabrinha

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 03, 15 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

Hey John,

I'll trade you a stack of Catalyst protos and a Bash quiver for a 3-strut Batwing!

-Pete

P.S. I'm not kidding... (I'll even throw in a delaminated Open Ocean to sweeten the deal).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: