Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Mexican Auto Insurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostSun Aug 06, 06 12:13 pm    Mexican Auto Insurance Reply with quote

So I know I've seen a post about this somewhere but I was unable to find it using the search function.

I am looking to rent a mini van from the San Jose Del Cabo airport from Dec 23rd - 30 this year. My family is meeting me there so there will be 7 of us. Looks like the rental will be around 600 for a week. Does that sound reasonable? Also what kind of insurance will I need to get in addition? How much should that cost for a week? The rental company is Thrifty.

Thanks

adrianczm

Since 06 Mar 2006
89 Posts
Cozumel, Mexico

PostSun Aug 06, 06 7:34 pm     Reply with quote

Hey, I just took a group of kiters over to the Mainland (Tulum area) and we rented a Express Van for 12 pax we where 5 plus gear and paid 110 a day with insurance so if you are getting a van that big for 600 a week that sounds like a deal, Im sure if you look over a little more you can get it may be for a lower rate but make sure you get it from a big brand company cause you might get what you pay for. Also Cabo has more high prices than south Mexico

Adrian

NaishUSA

Since 07 Jul 2005
53 Posts
HR OR

PostMon Aug 07, 06 8:04 am     Reply with quote

Insurance is key as collisions in mexico are considered a felony (at least whoever is found at fault at the scene can be taken to jail) and usually insurance includes some kind of jail bond/assistance.

Ive gotten long term insurance for my rig through an RV group called Vagabundos Del Mar but im sure that you can get (possibly required) insurance from Thrifty.

Have Fun!

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 07, 06 9:05 am     Reply with quote

alwaysalwaysalways

get full coverage auto insurance in mexico. why?:

mexico is governed under a Napoleonic Code, which essentially finds one guilty until proven innocent. if you are involved in a crash south of the border, you must prove the other driver was at fault to avoid paying in full for damages, which can easily exceed the worth of the vehicle!? i have heard reliable reports of gringos becoming guests in the local lockup until things are straightened out.

often, full coverage equals or exceeds the cost of the rental.

well, we did steal tejas and calif from them, afterall.

jimmi

adrianczm

Since 06 Mar 2006
89 Posts
Cozumel, Mexico

PostMon Aug 07, 06 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah Jim, you right, you better get full coverage and hope nothing happend still you are protected!!

Hey Jim I need a doctor, my toe nail is giving me trouble again, can you beleive that? I hate it!!! I want to chop it

Adrian

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Aug 08, 06 7:30 am    not to worry Reply with quote

We use and still carry A.D.A. VIS insurance it is a Mexico and U.S. based (National ) company if you have an R.V. .No double insurance
There is a company that does emergency evacuations (for any reason) ,
Not to worry because of the Napolionic code nobody (almost) gets into accidents .
After traveling Mexico for three years and over 70,000 miles we only saw one fender bender (it was a very big deal) in Merida , a minor dent but the police were all over it as the crowd gathered .
By far because of the laws NOBODY gets into accidents the only place we saw crazy driving is around the Playa del Carmen area when a lot of gringos are put into the mix and want to drive like they did at home ,go with the flow ,when the left signal comes on it could mean going left ,going right or ok to pass .
Any road in Mexico that is wide enough for three cars is a center passing lane and the left signal means go for it ,
And to me the bottom line is these are the best drivers I have ever seen ,and
the most courtious people and even if you race to the top of the hill they will let you in ,
Don't honk or use your middle finger
We did hear that while at a toll booth a guy ran into the back of his friend (minor) BOTH vehicles impounded and both drivers put in jail until sorted out (a couple days) but I think we broke every driving law in the book and never had a problem except for a little mordita on every trip ,TAMPICO $94.00 ,another 1/2 mile and stopped again that time only $5,but when my wife complained he told her in a very aburpt manner "get back in car"(that was worth the fiver he wanted)
I carry a homemade licence and if they say go pay your fine downtown (more Hefe's ,more MORDITA)before you can get licence back,, we just headed outta town

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 08, 06 10:23 am     Reply with quote

my experience is that when you rent the car they will offer you multiple insurance options - none, liability, collision+liability. i pick the middle option - the idea being the liability will keep you out of jail, the collision is just to square things away with the insurance co. never had an accident so not clear if it works or not.

certainly there are gringos brave enough to go without any insurance whatsoever, but im not one of them. the local drivers do seem very non-aggressive relative to drivers in the states.

last time i went the total cost of the rental car was equal to thte total i spent on lodging and food for 2 adults! (more or less) renting a car in mx is expensive relative to the cost of everything else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: