Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

LA - beta...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostThu Jul 27, 06 4:43 pm    LA - beta... Reply with quote

who's got the 411 on the kite scene in LA. I have to head down there for a long weekend in august and i'm itching to bring my gear. i've heard rumblings of places to go but it's hard to decipher what the true beta. anyone have the goods?

launch spots
kite sizes
what to look for in weather
newport? c-street, long beach?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Jul 27, 06 6:22 pm     Reply with quote

JP's down there right now (didn't take his kites though), but he said the wind direction isn't that great for kiting (I think he said it was onshore). I have seen people riding at Seal Beach in the past though... Since the land jets out a bit there, I'm pretty sure it's not at all difficult to ride off the southern point. Sorry that's not much of a help, but if I can get anymore info from JP, I'll let you know.

EDITED: 'cause I can't spell. Sad

Spring Break 2005 - Seal Beach
 Spring Break 2005 - Seal Beach  DSC06223.JPG 

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Fri Jul 28, 06 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Jul 27, 06 6:28 pm    ugh Reply with quote

this time of year the beaches will be loaded and many surfers Belmont is the kite area for the local beaches in that area ,
C St. is the best I have ever got in that area but small and lots of surfs ,go upwind and stay clear of the area below the surf break ,rolling river rocks and no wind

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostThu Jul 27, 06 7:51 pm     Reply with quote

sweet, if you hear more from JP let me know. by the looks of that photo there are some large kites in the air.

i've been watching ikitesurf for that area and it seems really like...sauvies like.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 27, 06 9:19 pm     Reply with quote

only had luck in malibu... took 3 trips visiting my sister before I finally got enough wind, then it was pretty sweet.

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostThu Jul 27, 06 9:24 pm     Reply with quote

Ventura or Jalama would probably be your best bet. Ventura is 1 hr. from LA and Jalama is 2.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Jul 28, 06 7:38 am     Reply with quote

C- Street is sick when it blows, killer waves. Belmont is pretty popular (long beach), lots of kiters, nasty water. Cabrillo (sp?) goes with nasty shore break and a huge windshadow on the inside, oh yeah and launch area restrictions.

A trip to LA will really make you appreciate our kiting scence, except for all the talent lounging on the beach.

Last edited by pacifichigh on Fri Jul 28, 06 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 28, 06 7:54 am     Reply with quote

they do it Baywatch style down there??? Very Happy

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Jul 28, 06 9:21 am     Reply with quote

This site is helpful:

http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/sports/kitesurf/notes/index.htm

I really like Jalama Beach north of Santa Barbie about 3 hrs north of LAX

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostFri Jul 28, 06 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

Sweet site Gman. One place that hasn't been mentioned is Leo Carillo on the LA-Ventura county line (just a bit north is the "County Line", a fun break). Nice access to the beach by parking on the highway (the State Park costs a bit). There are zones for surfing and wind sports. This place gets the same wind as everyone has explained in the thread and typically one of the better chances. When the wind and swell are in, it can be epic. Holds over 10' and two distictive breaks... many bottom turns. "Soul Fly" dvd has some footage but the size was smallish.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: