Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

14M Waroo experience?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostThu Jul 27, 06 1:47 pm    14M Waroo experience? Reply with quote

thinking about something a little bigger for the coast, but have had sluggish experience with bow kites of this size before, and done all right with a 12M and glide board in light conditions, but not lit up of course...can anyone speak to this kite's performance compared to a smaller Waroo?

Thanks much in advance!

Last edited by colby on Thu Jul 27, 06 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 27, 06 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

Due a thread search, I covered this same question a while back. These types of discussions apparantly lead to problems but you asked so I'll give you my opinion...

I have been Kb'ing for 4 years and have ridden a pretty good amount of kites. I fly a crossbow 16 for light days. The bottom line is you have to demo one to see for yourself. But in my experince:

The downsides.

1. The kite really lacks low-end power and is sluggish in low wind.
2. It won't reverse re-launch unless your in the upper part of its wind range.
3. It seems to me it should have more struts to better hold its shape
4. It is really fincky when adjusting i.e. easy to oversheet

The plus sides.

1. Its inexpensive
2. if you don't like it, just return it for a refund.
3. The bar is simple and uncluttered and the depower strap is much better than the CB's

Try one out, I would look elsewhere, but hell try it out and see what you think. I think someone here has a 05 17m machine for sale as well.

Good luck!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 27, 06 2:26 pm     Reply with quote

I think the 14m Waroo is a cool enough kite, not as sweet as the 9m but its a big kite so that's to be expected to an extent.

It doesn't have low end grunt, its a front line flier and likes to be sheeted out and takes technique to get the most out of. I guess you could say it doesn't have much low end, but remember just because some big kites may make you feel "lit" doesn't mean you can jump (higher), or go upwind, or do anything besides plow along.

That all said, stick with your 12m and the Glide. You won't get a lot more (usable) power by going bigger than 12m. Heck I was on the 9m and Glide the other day making it work in uber lightwind.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostThu Jul 27, 06 2:40 pm    cheap is a good thing but...... Reply with quote

I witnessed the great WAROO yesterday in action at Stevenson. Not sure what size it was but in the end it was half the kite. A normal crash on the hard side created a rip in the canopy from leading edge to trailing adge along the middle strut Shocked .

I think inexpensive kites are good for the industry and may get more people on the water however, I dont think a kite that rips to easily is good for any body unless it costs a hundred bucks. better to get the Pro if your on the Waroo Juice Wink Wink

I Bam may have taken a few shots of the destruction.

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 27, 06 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

ryan, admittedly the waroo lack some of the very nice bells and whistles of more expensive kites and the bars for sure blow, but i dont think it is fair to judge a kite by on crash. i and most all here have seen every brand rip in two in many different circumstances. I have crashed my waroo as hard as any kite i have owned on both land and water and have not had a problem.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Jul 27, 06 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

Promised not to post them to save the identity of the rider...

I was out on the rock and suddenly there is a kite on the upwind side of it all wrapped around it and about to take me and my camera gear out...

Thought a second about bailing ship (rock), but some cutie ran down and saved the Bammer's day...

Here is are two from "The Almost Warpooed Rock Shoot"...

Jon

post1.jpg 
   post2.jpg 

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostThu Jul 27, 06 5:15 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for the advice and of course the ass shot Bam! I had a terrible time with a 16M bow for a few sessions some time ago and then the LE blew a 4ft hole down the seam - at Sauvies on a light wind day no doubt. Just wondered if I was cursed or if some of the bigger bow kites have issues...may just stick to my wonderful friend the Glide for awhile...I may have hurt its feelings by making this post Very Happy

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Jul 27, 06 5:35 pm     Reply with quote

Hmmm, flat kite advocates... Please don't take my "Warpooed" comment or the ass shot to be any commentary on my personal opinion of BOW/FLAT kites. Think they do what they do really well and that works for some, but I guess deep down I have a general fear of them that must go back to some deep seeded incident in my childhood.

"Now the question is, do I give her the crotch or the ass"... Tyler Durden...

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 27, 06 5:54 pm     Reply with quote

Those Escalade bindings look ssweet.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Jul 27, 06 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

Fuck, I wouldn't have jumped off the rock... I'm always paranoid as shit when I'm on top of that thing with my digi SLR, let alone when big kites get close! Confused

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 27, 06 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

ryan - I have seen pretty much every brand of kite rip in half at one point or another. I even saw a certain photographer shamefully rolling up a torn in half kite one time. Then again he has been known to be hard on his gear. Very Happy

Best to pass on your condolences to the rider and be happy it wasn't your kite, rather then tempt fate with bad karma!

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostThu Jul 27, 06 9:52 pm     Reply with quote

Nice freakin shots dude!

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Jul 28, 06 7:26 am     Reply with quote

Hey Phillip...

Thanks for dredging up that memory...

Hear ya man, a kite is just a kite. Yeah, that Boxer never had a chance that day at Secret Spot. Some Bam Bam dude slammed dunked it at mach 2 straight into the water, and the outcome was obvious before the kite even hit.

Kite on, Jon

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Jul 28, 06 7:56 am     Reply with quote

Sorry Bammer for bringing it up... Similar thing happened to my 13m Yarga at the very same spot, of course I was on the Washington side at the time and the setting sun, lack of anyone else on the water, long swim, and LE filling up with water made me abandon it.

Shit happens!

To be honest, I can't recall ever seeing a one pump Slingy blow up... I have seen then blow valves on heavy impact a bunch of times which I have heard is a feature. Seems to work because I can't recall ever hearing of one blowing a LE. I have seen a couple cases of a Slingy ripped canopy, but never from impact on water alone.

Tip of the hat to Slingy for that, but pretty much every other brand regulardless of price or age I have seen in blown out, torn, etc.. Good thing those guys at AirTime are so kickass at repairing stuff. Thumb's Up

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 28, 06 8:30 am     Reply with quote

Yeah man Casey and others over there a great! I have been working for them building a new sizing chart and they have been very easy going and real easy to work with!

And those slingys are awesome! Definately built with unmatched quality! Just check out that link! The proof is in the pudding!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Griff_miester

Since 26 Jun 2006
28 Posts
Stevenson Wa

PostFri Jul 28, 06 8:49 am    Contra Reply with quote

hey colby,
you should check into a contra its desgined as a light wind kite with the proformance of a small kite(speed). I have heard nothing but great things about the contra and think you should check one out. Cabrinha is haveing a demo at sauvies this upcoming thursday. Give one a try. if you got a 14 contra with your glide or normal board you would have a dream setup for the coast on a light wind day. Very Happy [/quote]

Griff_miester

Since 26 Jun 2006
28 Posts
Stevenson Wa

PostFri Jul 28, 06 8:51 am     Reply with quote

nice pics bam bam. i feel like a kite hooker exposed, lol
there great shoots keep up the good work man.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: