Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Spokane Kiteing ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostTue Jul 25, 06 8:51 am    Spokane Kiteing ??? Reply with quote

Anybody out there have info on the kiting in the Spokane area? I am heading there next week and am hopeing to get out a couple days. I know there are some large lakes in the area. Any info or contacts would be great.

Cheers,

Ryan

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 25, 06 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Ryan,

Spokane's my home town! Hmm.....where to kite in Spokane????

Yah, there are a lot of lakes, but none of them have cosistent wind. I think the best possible place would be lake Coeur d' Alene. The only thing is that its so big, it would be hard to pinpoint where the wind would be.

On the plus side, kiting is NON existant up there, so anywhere you want to ride you can just pull over and setup shop. The downside is you wont have anyone to help you launch. Crying or Very sad

If you go, let me know how it is! I plan on going back up to see tha fam and would love to take the gear with me! Wink

ptavv

Since 29 May 2006
30 Posts

PostTue Jul 25, 06 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

I grew up in Cd'A and went to HS in Spokane.

I'm heading home in 3 weeks or so to visit my family that's still there, was planning on taking my kite with me.

I don't know where would have consistent wind that's in the right direction, but considering the number of lakes (Coeur d'Alene, Hayden, Pend O'Reille, Fernan, Priest, Round, all the chain lakes), there has to be somewhere appropriate.

The lakes list doesn't even include all the rivers.

If you figure anything out let us know... I'm definately interested.

Donny Baker

Since 13 Jul 2006
80 Posts

PostTue Jul 25, 06 3:41 pm     Reply with quote

Just got started kiting this summer down at the gorge so I've been going down there on weekends but if it blows here I would go to:
1.Sprage Lake cause it's windy there but that slimy green water is scary. I've gone out there twice now and the water looks nasty. Some old local guy told me how much he used to swim in it and he's ok, so I would be ok too.
2. Couer D alene Lake if the wind direction is right. Looks like there is a good launchin site just to the west of the public beach but far enough away to aviod problems.
3. West side of the Bridge at Sandpoint of Pend oreille. Again, need a west of east wind direction I think. I've seen it cranking there before with some descent swell. The lake may be good for the other directions.
4. Banks Lake could be good too I think but not sure. It's 1.5 hr drive so one more 1.5hr and you could be at Roosevelt/3 mile/ or a little more to Rufus. Decisions, Decisions.
Problem of around here is lack of wind consistency but I'm sure you could have an excellent sesssion if the wind is right . I'll bet you might get mauled by the boating onlookers so that could be another negative point.

ptavv

Since 29 May 2006
30 Posts

PostTue Jul 25, 06 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, with how crowded lake Cd'A is on a weekend I'd probably try and avoid it.

Hayden might be really nice, there's a great sandbar on the east side of the lake that would be an excellent launch point if the wind is in the right direction.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostWed Jul 26, 06 11:30 am    Sprage Lake Reply with quote

iwindsurf has a sensor at Sprage lake...there must be some wind there even if it is a green monster.

thanks for the info guys

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 26, 06 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="Donny Baker"]Just got started kiting this summer down at the gorge so I've been going down there on weekends but if it blows here I would go to:

2. Couer D alene Lake if the wind direction is right. Looks like there is a good launchin site just to the west of the public beach but far enough away to aviod problems.[\quote]

what direction is right for CdA?

ptavv

Since 29 May 2006
30 Posts

PostWed Jul 26, 06 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

Well, the city beach and NIC beach in Coeur d'Alene (on the N end of the lake) face either east, southeast, or you can hit the river which has a ton of beaches facing south.

There are a lot of beaches around Coeur d'Alene. You can also head out towards Harrison where the Chain Lakes are and certainly find something. Assuming there is wind anyway.

This link may be useful for finding wind:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/mwmap.php?wfo=otx&map=otxe&list=1&sort=name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: