Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Newbie Heavy Rider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Woodman

Since 21 Jul 2006
6 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 21, 06 2:29 pm    Newbie Heavy Rider Reply with quote

Hi guys!!! this is my first post!

Well I want to do this right and get lessons. Does anybody do lessons out at Sauvie? The reason I ask is cause I live in St. Helens and its hella closer than going to the Gorge. However I'm considering just making it a weekend trip and do the weekend package at New Wind.

I have flew a trainer kite for maybe 10 mins but thats it and it wasn't a lesson. I also used to wakeboard in my late teens and early 20's. However now I'm 32yrs old and have gained a ton of weight. I'm 280lbs+.

So another question I have is what considerations do I need to take trying this as a first time FAT BOY!!! I'm hoping this will help me slim down a little. When I was younger and wakeboarding all the time I was down to 160lb or so, but those days are long gone!.

Woody

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Jul 21, 06 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

You could check out ASI in Portland if you want lessons at Sauvies. New Wind is also a fine school in the Gorge and they have more wind there so its a good bet... but I'd wait for a weekend with a better forecast, this one is looking pretty dismal so far.

As far as gear goes the first purchase I'd make if I were you would be a Slingshot Glide. It'll probably make all the difference for you.

Good luck! Thumb's Up

Woodman

Since 21 Jul 2006
6 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 21, 06 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

I'm just starting to research different kites, so what advantages does the slingshot glide give me for a big rider? I assume that at the lessons they will be able to answer these questions, but I'm just try to not be totally ignorant going into this.

Woody

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostFri Jul 21, 06 2:51 pm     Reply with quote

deffinitly give ASI a shot. we have taught quite a few larger people out at sauvies and at jones beach. the main concern is wind, until you have your board and kite skills down being powered up will let you learn alot faster.

Woodman

Since 21 Jul 2006
6 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 21, 06 2:52 pm     Reply with quote

Does ASI have a website? I did a quick google search and didn't really come up with anything.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostFri Jul 21, 06 3:00 pm     Reply with quote

www.allsurfindustry.com
unfortunatly the website doesnt give much information on the kite lessons. if you would like you can call the shop and ask for nate he is the instructor.

jatkinson

Since 24 May 2006
15 Posts

PostFri Jul 21, 06 3:06 pm     Reply with quote

Get a trainer kite and learn to love it. If you get so that you can fly a trainer with your eyes closed while having a conversation with someone you will be well on your way, and you will get MUCH more from your lessons.

http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/viewtopic.php?p=2782&highlight=#2782

Woodman

Since 21 Jul 2006
6 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 21, 06 3:18 pm     Reply with quote

thanks guys! man there is alot of ppl on the boards right now!

You said they do lessons at Jones Beach? I ride my quad sometimes down there and its really hit or miss on the wind. Or at least from what I can tell, I have been down there maybe a dozen times and I have only seen kiteboarders there once.

Woody

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostFri Jul 21, 06 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

that's because there is a major lack of wind today. Confused

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostFri Jul 21, 06 10:00 pm     Reply with quote

I am a pretty big rider also, although only 215 lbs, but the glide is a sweet board for big guys and light wind. It is super wide and flat, so will have you planing and heading up wind in very light wind. In light wind the board ussually makes more of a difference than the kite.

Woodman

Since 21 Jul 2006
6 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 21, 06 10:09 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Kodiak, I will keep that in mind. I guess its better to be a little underpowered(which should be no problem with my weight) than to be overpowered and a newb and have the kite drag you all around.

Woody

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Jul 22, 06 6:21 am    bigger is BETTER Reply with quote

oh ya the extreme sport for us BIG people

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 24, 06 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

I would avoid the Glide. It is an advanced-expert level board, as the square corners, sharp edges and lack of rocker make the board a real handful in chop or when overpowered. It is excellent in light winds and experienced hands, but not a good beginner board.

Definitely go for a wide board. I'm 215 lbs and wide boards just work better for us big guys. I convinced my friend who's 6'7 and 300 lbs to get the Liquid Force WLF 140 (Wide Liquid Force) and he _loves_ it. Other options are the Underground FLX 152 Wide (my personal lightwind board) or a North Sumo or similar.

Woodman

Since 21 Jul 2006
6 Posts

Kook

PostMon Jul 24, 06 2:06 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks ScottM I will consider that when I go to buy a board. I really want to get some lessons under my belt and rent a few kites and boards to try out a few before I commit to anything. First things first though I need to leard to ride first! lol

Woody

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 24, 06 4:15 pm     Reply with quote

scott - Glide expert/advanced? I have seen more newbs get their first rides on that board with more success than any other. Its almost impossible to not go upwind on the board, which is also a huge plus for beginners. Also you can rig kites much smaller which is safer.

No doubt even a big guy will likely outgrow at some point, but it will still be great in the quiver for moderate/light wind.

I got to admit I have never tried a LF Wide board, I have tried Drops (which are very nice) and I owned an Element for awhile. They are great boards...

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostMon Jul 24, 06 7:12 pm     Reply with quote

Well I agree that the glide takes a bit of finesse and skill to jump or do transitions, but it flies upwind like no other. I ride a LF drop now and have ridden the WLF. THe WLF will get you going in lighter wind than a skinnier board, but not close to the glide, and it doesn't go upwind very well. The WLF is a much better all around board though and a great all around board for a really big guy.

mulder_s

Since 18 Jul 2006
1 Posts
Kirkland, WA

PostMon Jul 24, 06 7:39 pm     Reply with quote

I'm also a newbee to the sport. After taking a number of lessons, I'm able to control the kite fairly well and sustain a decent ride without any major injuries. Wink I'm around 210 when I stay off the cheesburgers, and alot of people tell me that the Slingshot SX 141 is a good choice for my size. Good choice or bad advice?? Let me know...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: