Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Newb to the scene

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
fzrida

Since 19 Jul 2006
1 Posts
Vancouver WA

PostWed Jul 19, 06 9:52 pm    Newb to the scene Reply with quote

whats up ya'll Im going to be getting into kiteboarding in the coming weeks and am looking for people to go session with once I get decent, I pretty much have everyday for at least the next month or so to go out and ride, once I take a couple lessons, practice and at least get so I can hold my own somewhat, Im looking for people to link up with I live down in Vancouver WA so the gorge isnt that far anyone who wants to go out and session hit me up and maybe in a couple weeks we could meet up...ANYONE have any advice for me ?? Bought the trainer kite and am going to be getting a set up hopefully next week...I live near savys island so Im looking at getting like a 16 meter and maybe an 18 meter kite any advice or tips anyone has it would be very appreciated?? Anyone one have any advice on gear Im looking at Rhino kites, 5 line setup?? What kite companies are better than others?? Thanx a ton

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 20, 06 7:52 am     Reply with quote

Hey Frizda,

Cool to see another person taking up the sport! I am actually somewhat of a beginner myself and am always looking for people to ride with. Send me a PM so we can hook up. I usually head to Sauvie's after work and HR on the weekends. If your up for it (or anyone else) we could carpool and save on gas money. Very Happy

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostThu Jul 20, 06 8:47 am    Take a lesson before purchasing Kites!! Reply with quote

Hey Frizda,
I'm an intermediate/Advanced Kiteboarder and I can tell you that the whole Kite Scene is moving away from 5th line Kites. I just purchased a Slingshot Turbo 8 and 12 in early june. The 12 has the 2:1 pully set up allowing for total, and I mean, total depower!!
If you are thinking of buying an 18 5th line without taking a lesson my rec is DON'T. The first time you park it in the water you will not be happy.
In order to increase you "fun factor", you will need to follow the following recipe.
1. Call Jim at New Wind Kiteboarding
2. Purchase a set of lessons
3. Learn to self rescue on 5th line and bow kites
4. Learn to water start
5. Learn to ride IKO Intermediate. This means you can do all of the above safely.

If you do these things you will have a great time.
ron Very Happy

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostThu Jul 20, 06 9:41 am    Re: Take a lesson before purchasing Kites!! Reply with quote

bulae99 wrote:
Hey Frizda,
I'm an intermediate/Advanced Kiteboarder and I can tell you that the whole Kite Scene is moving away from 5th line Kites.
ron Very Happy

Not true. There are hybrids like the ozone instinct and the north rebel that have attributes of bows with 5th lines. Do take lessons and research the forums though.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Jul 21, 06 8:25 am     Reply with quote

You can hit me up with a PM as well. I work in downtown vancouver and go to Sauvie allot. Beginers are always welcome as long as your safe. If you have questions or your thinking to yourself, hmmm, is this right? Then grab someone on the beach and ask them. They will help you out and will probably keep a passive eye on you incase your swimming in the river for hours on end.

You will need a kite for the gorge and a kite for sauvie. I weigh about 190 and ride a rather fat 132. For Sauvie I have a crossbow 16 which has LOTS of power and will relaunch in the lightest winds. If your 175 or less or are riding a bigger board, you are going to be overpowered on that kite.

For the gorge, get yourself a nice 9m or possibly a 7m. As a beginner, I would steer you towards a bow kite. Scour the classifieds here or on ikitesurf and see what you find. It seems that the three most popular bow kites at this time; that you could buy used are:

1. The Cabrinha crossbow- solid kite, great performer, expensive, kind of goofy bar

2. Best Waroo - Inexpensive, good performer, very simple bar, seemingly a little less stout than expensive kites.

3. Slingshto turbo diesel - Never flown one, SS makes quality stuff but I think 06' was a hard year for SS. They had bar issues and then invert issues, I'm sure the kite is fine though, if you can get one on the cheap, your good to go.

One thing that you should keep in mind when buying your kites is that unless your buying something that is 3 years old, it will be fine. Everyone likes to believe that their kite rocks and kite design and performance threads almost always degenerate into name calling. The bottom line is that the kites you buy today are worlds, and I mean big worlds, better than the schwag allot of people learned on years ago. Buy something you can get a deal on now. As you learn how to ride and develop a style of your own, you can better judge which 2008 kite you want to sell your kidney for. Smile

Be safe, have fun, and keep your lines on the beach tidy.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Jul 21, 06 8:52 am     Reply with quote

Hey Monkey Boy and the rest on this thread!!!

One of the best informational posts I have read in quite some time... Nice work!!!

Fzrida,

Don't completely discount a good fifth line setup... What the marketing machine behind the BOWS forgets to tell you is that the newer flat kites really don't have a truly reliable leash system yet. They will get there, and infact the LINK does have an optional fifth attachment. North and Naish also have Hybrids coming out that are blending performance aspects of true BOWS and C's.

Which ever route you go, make sure you really understand the pros and cons between flats and C's and how to set the kite up properly. 100% depower is a myth, and it can turn from bliss to nightmare for a beginner when your "100% depower" inverts from rider error, and turns in 100% pain in the ass. EVERY kite that is attached to you has the potential to create power at any moment, and that needs to be respected. Even a fifth line kite pulls a bit when on its back at the end of its leash, and can be royally messed up with rider error.

Read up on kites, demo some, and then make up your own mind. Like Bulae99 mentioned, lessons are KEY and you will learn lots about gear choices/options from whatever school you end up with. I would recommend that you don't purchase anything until after your lessons.

Welcome to the addiction, and I look forward to meeting you out there somewhere on the water....

Jon

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Jul 21, 06 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

Once you have a couple lessons come back and check this thread... I'd imagine most of it would sound like "greek" until you actually get some water time in on the real deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: