Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Visiting from BC - where are the best coast spots???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jatkinson

Since 24 May 2006
15 Posts

PostWed Jul 19, 06 3:12 pm    Visiting from BC - where are the best coast spots??? Reply with quote

Yeah yeah I know that you aren't going to reveal those "private" wave stashes that you save for locals only but I was hoping for some guidance on some spots.

My wife is somewhat of a beginner and has no experience in waves so I would be lookng for places that aren't going to kill her.

The basic plan is to drive to Floras, and spend a few days there the work our way north up the coast. Where are the best bets along the coast for some relatively mild wave action. Strong wind is OK, I am just trying to avoid sending her out in waves that are way overhead.

From what I gather Sunset, Manzanita, Florence etc. are the best bets.

Cheers,
JJ

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Jul 19, 06 3:19 pm     Reply with quote

the size of the waves has more to do with the forcast then the beach. when the swell is small florence newport astoria should all be doable.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostWed Jul 19, 06 5:08 pm     Reply with quote

ft. stevens hands down.

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostWed Jul 19, 06 6:04 pm     Reply with quote

so where are the best spots to go up there? i'll be heading to squamish in three weeks and by the sounds of it that's an ideal spot. any 411 on winds, launches, websites, etc.

i second the notion for ft. stevens. it really doesn't get much safer and easier.

jatkinson

Since 24 May 2006
15 Posts

PostWed Jul 19, 06 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

bamboo wrote:
so where are the best spots to go up there? i'll be heading to squamish in three weeks and by the sounds of it that's an ideal spot. any 411 on winds, launches, websites, etc

Squamish rocks. It is a thermal, so if it is sunny it will blow. It is really your only option in Vancouver in the summer (unless we get some freak frontal wind). The scene in Squamish is one of the best I have ever seen. Everybody is friendly and willing to help. The launch is a bit sketch the first time, but no big deal. There is a day use fee of $10 or $15 which pays for jetski rescue and the insurance required to keep the site open.

If you have time to hit Vancouver Island then Nitinat lake is sweet. Another thermal, remote rainforest location and great vibes there.

The Vancouver kite website is www.skypilotkiteboarding.com. It's a great site and if there are any answers I missed you will surely get them there

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 20, 06 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

I would love to go to squamish and hang out. My buddies and I used to get all kinds of downhill crazy at the north shore and whistler.

After 3 yrs, like 30,000 miles on my car, three broken ribs, a broken wrist, a seperated shoulder, a major concusion, and two broken frames, I sold all my DH stuff and got into kiteboarding.

I miss it though, my north shore peeps have it made!!

When are you coming down?

jatkinson

Since 24 May 2006
15 Posts

PostThu Jul 20, 06 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

I am planning to head down August 5-13ish.

Is there any way to get a good wind/swell forecast without internet access? We are going to be camping, so probably won't bring the laptop.

Squamish is a fun spot for sure. It is pretty tough to beat the scenery. Come on up and play!

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 20, 06 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

If you have a internet capable phone you can do the ikitesurf.com thing. Or you could call some of the local kite shops and ask them what is going on.

jatkinson

Since 24 May 2006
15 Posts

PostFri Aug 04, 06 1:44 pm     Reply with quote

OK so it's roadtrip time tomorrow. Couple of last minute questions.

What is the fastest way to Seaside (from seattle). Astoria Bridge...exit at Longview... through Portland?

Any great coast or gorge campsites that might not be too obvious to newcomers? For that matter, any that really suck and should be avoided?

Any other tips or spots to check out?

Cheers,
JJ

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 04, 06 2:55 pm     Reply with quote

Take a right off of I-5 through Kelso to Longview, go over the Longview/Raineer Bridge, and head west on the Astoria highway. When You reach Astoria, continue towards Warrenton, and on to Seaside. This is the shortest way for us folks from the north. You could also hit Jones Beach about 20 miles west of the Longview bridge on the Oregon side, it's near Clatskanie. I've only windsurfed there and I can tell you Jones has very steady fan winds. Watch the Ast/Portland gradient to hit .5.

What is the fastest way to Seaside (from seattle). Astoria Bridge...exit at Longview... through Portland?

Any great coast or gorge campsites that might not be too obvious to newcomers? For that matter, any that really suck and should be avoided?

Any other tips or spots to check out?

Cheers,
JJ[/quote]

jatkinson

Since 24 May 2006
15 Posts

PostFri Aug 04, 06 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer. That is what looked shortest on the map, but I have not done that drive for years.

See ya on the water. I will be the one looking like a kook in the waves because I am used to flat water Smile

JJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: