Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Water Level
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Jul 16, 06 7:04 am    Water Level Reply with quote

What's the scoop on the sudden low water level in the Gorge? (btw, the sandbar was pretty sweet yesterday, we got there early and bugged out when the zoo started setting up shop.)

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Jul 16, 06 7:30 am     Reply with quote

I don't know, but the Stevenson launch was kind of a bitch yesterday because of it.

FunShui

Since 16 Jul 2006
146 Posts
Really, really
Stoked

PostSun Jul 16, 06 8:51 am     Reply with quote

The launch was a bitch in Stevenson yesterday. It looked like the river was several feet lower than the day before. I can't tell if my feet are bruised from the exposed rocks or my session.

A guy I was talking to there said he had heard they lowered it to conserve water. With hotter days there is more evaporative loss. Less water in the river, less to evaporate.

The proposed new river plan has irrigators and municipalities wanting more water storage by next July. A hint of things to come?

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostSun Jul 16, 06 9:30 am     Reply with quote

What's the deal with evaporative loss again? Less water for irrigation? Seems like when they drop the level that significantly they're losing it all anyways

FunShui

Since 16 Jul 2006
146 Posts
Really, really
Stoked

PostSun Jul 16, 06 9:47 am     Reply with quote

Some of the flow is managed at the Dalles. When the river flow is lowered they can stash the difference in various reservoirs.

I don't really understand why the reservoirs would evaporate less than the river unless it has to do with temperature and moving water.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSun Jul 16, 06 2:44 pm     Reply with quote

Not sure if the evaporation is the reason, however if you put the water in a place with less water exposed to the air then you have less evaporation. I am guessing resiviours have much less exposed surface area then the river.

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostMon Jul 17, 06 5:49 am     Reply with quote

The snow is pretty much gone from them thar hills now and the rivers are dropping quick. That means warm water! Jeb

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 17, 06 6:28 am     Reply with quote

I heard the sandbar is all gone again... easy come easy go?

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 17, 06 8:18 am     Reply with quote

Yeah the sandbar is gone again. I wonder what the reason is for the difference in levels.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostMon Jul 17, 06 9:47 am     Reply with quote

WOW!!! sure was great on the sandbar this weekend....lots of room for everyone to spread out. Requested Port staff to make some calls this morning regarding the ever-changing water level. Here's what we were told by the BPA Control (Bonnieville Power Administration Control)....Water level went down this weekend due to lack of power demand on weekends. It was raised again last night due to increased week day demands for power and Indian fishing. Fishing will be a factor until the end of July.

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostMon Jul 17, 06 10:10 am     Reply with quote

More on the up and down water level...... tribal fisheries have to have higher water during the week while they are transporting fish. The tribal fishing will end in 2 weeks...and then start up again the end of August. This information is from the Army Corps of Engineers, Reservoir Resource Center.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Jul 17, 06 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Lots of room on the sandbar? LOL

I took the family out to the port beach on sunday, showed up around 3:00. At one point I counted 52, yes 52 kiters on the river at once. There seemed to be an equal amount of windsurfers.

In short, it looked like absolute mayhem.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Jul 17, 06 11:23 am     Reply with quote

I took the family out to the port beach on sunday, showed up around 3:00. At one point I counted 52, yes 52 kiters on the river at once. There seemed to be an equal amount of windsurfers.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 17, 06 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

Sherry why is that such a factor this year? Didnt the same kind of fishing happen last year on the river? We had a sandbar then. maybe you arent the right person to ask. Just some things that I was wondering.

Thanks to the port, at least they are making an effort for kiting to be more accesible.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 17, 06 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:

So... did you go kiting?

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 17, 06 1:23 pm     Reply with quote

FunShui wrote:

A guy I was talking to there said he had heard they lowered it to conserve water. With hotter days there is more evaporative loss. Less water in the river, less to evaporate.

And you believe this? Shocked

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostMon Jul 17, 06 1:24 pm     Reply with quote

I don't understand the weird water level this year either but I'll keep asking...maybe someday we'll get to the correct person and find out how these things work .

"Lots of room on the sandbar? LOL"

I left about 1:30 so can't answer for 3PM but it sure looked like everyone spread out from Swell to The Bar. Yes, there was windsurf racing going on at the Event Site and sailboat racing going on at Cascade Locks so it was a busy day on the river but....it seemed to me that everyone was cooperating and enjoying a beautiful day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: