Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Secret being shut down?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
mmac

Since 15 May 2005
93 Posts
SC

PostSat Jul 15, 06 10:09 am    Secret being shut down? Reply with quote

I was riding out at secret spot last night. When I got back to my car there was a warning informing that it is illegal to park along highway 84 for recreational purposes. It also indicated that the state police are going to start issueing citations for anyone parked there. Not cool! Crying or Very sad

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostSat Jul 15, 06 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

Well...there is a sign that says exactly the same thing there too

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostSat Jul 15, 06 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

It was only a matter of time until the heat got hip to the parking situation.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostSun Jul 16, 06 9:44 pm     Reply with quote

ok, who is in charge of taking that sign down?

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostSun Jul 16, 06 9:46 pm     Reply with quote

no, I have a better idea. I'll just jack my car up and take the tire off and hau l it to the beach with me!!

I can see it now. Kiteboarding? what is that? I just got back from les schwabb!

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 17, 06 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

Be proactive with the fuzz, ask what you can do with the city of the dalles ect, to help smooth this out! I happened to know for a fact that these guys probly have something better to do then screw with kiters, but it does have a sign. Kind of a bummer, i really like riding there. But see what the city has to say about it. Before you get all up in arms and am like "dude the freeway system and the city don't work together!" Oregon has some money issues in the state government and the cities are even worse off, calling the city of commerence and talking to them about it could bennifit the city financially and help out the commuity of kiters! You guys could totally make this work! But it won't be so secret any more.

SG

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostMon Jul 17, 06 1:03 pm     Reply with quote

I would think that it is more of an ODOT thing. You can safely bet that ODOT will never allow people to park on the side of the freeway and there is no way that they would ever ever ever consider building some kind of parking facility or other facility so...

You can either be-friend the state police (yeah, they are usually cool people, that's why they become police Rolling Eyes ) maybe we can do the adopt a highway thing along that stretch of 84, hoping for a little leanency.

Any suggestions anyone?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 17, 06 1:11 pm     Reply with quote

I think the train tracks are the main issue. Nobody wants to be responsible when somebody gets plowed into because they are crossing the tracks near a blind corner.

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 17, 06 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

the adopt a highway gig is perfect, you bring up a good point with the rail road. My uncle is the head of the UP union out of pocetello and they say that they have never hit anyone on that corner that serves his recent memory. If you get the safety board involeved from the UP and the union. They have money for heavily accessed areas to do things like create small tunnels for cattle, roads or even people. Smile Its actually a perfect place for a small walk over bridge. You cold go to the top of the small hill and over and down to the beach! We can't really get upset for them doing there jobs, I'm sure they would rather do something other than get out on the side of a freeway to write tickets when its 100 degress and people are blowing by at 70mph. There is always a way! And if there isn't a way, they'll just have a permanant revenue generator! Smile

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostMon Jul 17, 06 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

It seems that someone has to identify what the concern is at this point and then we can go from there...

I can't even think of who to call? Somehow I doubt the RR cares to much although I'm sure if you asked them they would say "yeah, stay out of there"

It seems to be the state police raising the stink because people are using the side of an interstate highway as a parking lot. Who the hell would you talk to at the state police? I live in PDX so its not like I'm at the secret spot every week but I do really enjoy it when I get down that way.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 17, 06 1:41 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

It seems to be the state police raising the stink because people are using the side of an interstate highway as a parking lot. Who the hell would you talk to at the state police? I live in PDX so its not like I'm at the secret spot every week but I do really enjoy it when I get down that way.

Fishermen have been doing it for years...
I hope the Staters are prepared to enforce that uniformly up & down 84!

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 17, 06 1:47 pm     Reply with quote

No need to get rude. Its simple local politics. You go to the local state police precint, send a request to the state and make sure that you don't just send it to the state patrol, but the department of tourism, chambers of commerces for both hood river and the dalles ect, send it to the local recreation departments for both towns. Force the state fuz to remain "politiclly correct." The rail line is not owned, its leased land and they get federal grant money for safety programs, and yes I know that they can tell you to stay off, but the county would have to issue the ticket for tresspassing, not the state. The state would give the ticket for parking on the side of the road. See what the laws are in oregon, see who works that section of freeway. Pretty sure its the same four or so people. You only have to make friends with a majority of the fuz, the others will follow suit. If you see one, offer lessons or buy em' a cold one off duty. Its called PR baby! Get involved, think should work out!

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 17, 06 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

JP is also right about the fisherman, mabey they need a ally and we can get rid of two problems in one shot?

sg

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostMon Jul 17, 06 1:54 pm     Reply with quote

I'm really not trying to be a dick, honestly, but perhaps the "hey come on guys" approach wuld have worked 30 years ago. Now everything has to go through the proper god damned channels and paperwork, etc. etc. etc. Because as soon as someone gets clipped putting their stuff in the car or whatever, there would be all kinds of lawsuits and noone wants their head on the chopping block.

Believe me, I have worked on acess issues before and its allot of work. And I also do contract work for ODOT and let me tell ya, its one huge, slow, and confusing beast.

Perhaps you can convince the state police to look the other way. That would be the easiest bet. Getting ODOT to remove the sign would be a monumental undertaking.

So does anyone know any state police officers?

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 17, 06 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

Truth Be told I married a piglet! Not oregon though, wash! They will probly never take down the sign, but thats really not the goal. The goal is to get them to not see us as a problem. and yes, your right, someoneis going to get clipped, probly by a drunk. And that is going to hinder access. It doesn't seem to me that this has been a problem for long. Ask some of the old wind surfers what they used to do. I'm pretty sure there is a state trooper building in both cities. Walk in and say hi!

JP------no donut comments, they drink starbuck now! Smile Fun and games, JP and my bride have had some funny back and forths!

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostMon Jul 17, 06 2:16 pm     Reply with quote

I put a call into the local state police office and left a message with the comander...

We will see what he has to say. Then we can talk starbucks.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 17, 06 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

JP------no donut comments, they drink starbuck now! Smile Fun and games, JP and my bride have had some funny back and forths!

Rodeo,

What the fuck are you babbling about?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: