Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Secret being shut down?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 17, 06 2:22 pm     Reply with quote

WAY TO GO! Make sure you tell him that you've been talking with the local parks and recereation and board of tourism. The more people he has to be politicly correct with the more of a chance you'll get a proactive apporach. Also TIC's (troopers in charge) have different personalites. Some are really nice people that beliveve in the "sprirt of the law, rather than the letter of the law." and then........some should have been swallowed at birth! Different personalites work differently:) good luck!

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 17, 06 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

i think many of those fisherman are native american and thus probably have some type of right of way, i thinkyou guys are wasting time if you think anyone from the police to railroad will ever give a shit about that spot, it is dangerous track area and probably dangerous parking area as well. fisherman dont typically park 20 - 30 cars at a time

the "Fishermen have been doing it for years...
I hope the Staters are prepared to enforce that uniformly up & down 84!" is very much the kid in the playground taking his ball home...

there is a big difference between 2 cars gone a fishin and what goes on at ss...

it was a fun ride while it lasted...

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Jul 17, 06 2:35 pm     Reply with quote

jack wrote:
i think many of those fisherman are native american and thus probably have some type of right of way, i thinkyou guys are wasting time if you think anyone from the police to railroad will ever give a shit about that spot, it is dangerous track area and probably dangerous parking area as well. fisherman dont typically park 20 - 30 cars at a time

the "Fishermen have been doing it for years...
I hope the Staters are prepared to enforce that uniformly up & down 84!" is very much the kid in the playground taking his ball home...

there is a big difference between 2 cars gone a fishin and what goes on at ss...

it was a fun ride while it lasted...

That's the spirit!!!! Now go get high and watch daytime television.

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 17, 06 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

Make sure you get ahold of the other state agencies I talked about. It is a limited access freeway! You'll need all the help you can get!!!!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 17, 06 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
i think many of those fisherman are native american and thus probably have some type of right of way, i thinkyou guys are wasting time if

I wasn't aware that 84 was on the reservation

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 17, 06 3:11 pm     Reply with quote

This is how I understand WHY they want to ticket.

The same situation happened on the other side of the river at Doug's Beach.

Before the RR was build, people used to access the river to go fishing. They therefore established the "we were here first rule", which is still respected. It is somewhat looked-the-other-way if you want to cross over the RR track to go fishing. However, it is illegal to cross the RR tracks to do anything else.

The windsurfing community help to raise the $100,000 to install the pedistrian RR crossing at Doug's Beach.

We used to use the following technique at Cape Cod and Cape Hatteras to surf, sleep, windsurf, kite, and hangout 24/7: stick a fishing pole in the sand next to our gear pile on the beach.

Got Worms?

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 17, 06 3:26 pm     Reply with quote

there are many little spots along the columbia where native americans whether legally or not have little fishing spots we have all seen them. my main point is there is a big difference between 1 or 2 cars and 20. I would imagine if 3 or 4 cars were there no one would say anything, my guess is thought of as a safety issue for motorists, pedestrians etc... when there are 20. as far as getting high... i am just being realistic, common sense you dictate that there is no chance anyone is going to open that as a kite site...

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostMon Jul 17, 06 3:58 pm     Reply with quote

Is there that many cars there!!!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 17, 06 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

jack wrote:
my main point is there is a big difference between 1 or 2 cars and 20.

Yo Jack, you don't know Jack!

There is no difference asides from the number.

All cars are breaking the law.

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 17, 06 4:09 pm     Reply with quote

yo jp, there is a difference when it comes to leniency... it is hard to ignore a huge line of cars... easy to look past 2 or 3... apply some common sense and you will see the light

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 17, 06 4:10 pm     Reply with quote

much like 66 is technically still speeding, but usually ignored while 80 will probably get you a ticket

tch

Since 08 Aug 2005
17 Posts

PostMon Jul 17, 06 6:20 pm     Reply with quote

ODOT is the agency for determining highway safety guidelines, any signage along state highways are placed there and determined by ODOT. The reason ODOT has the no parking signs is to be able to determine liability when something bad happens.

If some moron leaves the roadway and crashes into your parked car, that is illegally parked at SS, you will face a significant liability for the gravity of damage - hopefully not injury. The legal argument is that the crash would not have been as severe if your car had not been parked there.

The other issue comes with people trying to enter or exit a freeway without an exit/enter lane. I'm sure they have the statistics to validate their position on highway safety - that it is very dangerous merging into 65 mph traffic from an emergency shoulder.

The partnership needs to be with ODOT and the other pro-usage agencies that have been mentioned. Talk to the Trooper when you see him. Ask for suggestions, ask if he/she knows anyone to to talk to with the local ODOT office, and don't be an ass.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostMon Jul 17, 06 8:23 pm     Reply with quote

tch wrote:
and don't be an ass.

so, you think I should not use the words "pigs" "copers" or "state bulls" when I talk to them?

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 18, 06 8:32 am     Reply with quote

its hard to show respect to people when they don't show it to you......... A little respect goes a long way. Remember, every time they have to talk to someone they get excuses and most of the time there "clients" aren't freindly.

Rolling Eyes

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostTue Jul 18, 06 8:37 am     Reply with quote

very few of the fishermen on 84 are native american. the indian fishing is mostly checking nets with boats out of their private marinas. Most of the people parked on 84 are sturgeon or pike minnow fishing white guys or duck hunters in season.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostTue Jul 18, 06 9:09 am     Reply with quote

stevegriffith22 wrote:
its hard to show respect to people when they don't show it to you......... A little respect goes a long way. Remember, every time they have to talk to someone they get excuses and most of the time there "clients" aren't freindly.

Rolling Eyes

Word. Being a police officer has to be the most thankless job out there. They have to deal with the dregs of society all day and even when they are dealing with generally decent people like myself handing out speeding tickets and the like, they still get comments like " thanks for the ticket, but just for the record, would this fall under serving or protecting?" Laughing

We'll see what he has to say and I will relay it here.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostTue Jul 18, 06 9:14 am     Reply with quote

remeber cops do not make the rules. And most of them do not waste time enforcing stupid ones untill some complains and the orders come down from above.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: