Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Where to go Memorial Day Weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
IceZ1974

Since 03 May 2005
10 Posts
Redmond, Oregon

PostMon May 23, 05 8:25 pm    Where to go Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

HI,

My wife and I moved here (poulsbo) from Germany and learned to kite last summer. We still cant stay upwind though so we are looking for a place to kite Where it is shallow. We were at the sand bar last weekend but everyone says its too crowed on weekends like this, and we dont have a boat to get out to jetty! SO anyone have another sugestions? It would be nice to find a place on this side of the sound.

Thanx

Chad

PostTue May 24, 05 8:42 am    MEMORIAL DAY Reply with quote

THE SAND BAR IS YOUR BEST BET FOR LARGE SHALLOW AREAS. IT WILL BE REALLY CROWDED AND IF THE WATER IS HIGH COULD BE CRAZY. I WOULD SUGGEST LYLE WERE THE KLIKITAT RIVER ENTERS THE COLUMBIA.

IF THE WEATHER STAYS NICE AND THE FORECAST FOR THE COAST IS GOOD, LOOK INTO FLORUS LAKE ON THE S. OREGON COAST. GREAT CAMPING AND A SMALL SHALLOW LAKE IS GREAT FOR BEGINNERS.

MOSTLY, I WOULD LOOK FOR A SITE THAT HAS ALOT OF CURRENT, TO OFFSET YOUR INABILITY TO STAY UP WIND, LOOK INTO SOME INSTRUCTION ON HOW TO STAY UP WIND, AND FIND A SITE THAT HAS A LONG BEACH SO YOU CAN WALK BACK (CHECK OUT SAUVIES ISLAND NEAR PORTLAND FOR THAT)

HOPE THIS HELPS

PostTue May 24, 05 10:47 am     Reply with quote

Hey Chad - Floras Lake is really great...if it's not too windy...5 hr. south of Portland, shallow coastside lake

Check description here

http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitebeaches/viewspot.php?id=1201

PostTue May 24, 05 8:23 pm     Reply with quote

I would second Flora's lake. Watch the wind and if it looks good, it's a nice spot to camp/kite. Try to get there alittle early on Friday, when it's a nice weekend the camp ground can fill up.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed May 25, 05 5:25 am     Reply with quote

Floras Lake for sure. It is a drive, but this weekend should be good.

Check them out. Make sure to go and see Will, he owns the house/shop on the lake.
http://www.floraslake.com/flw2.htm

Port Orford or Bandon are equal distance from the lake, if you don't want to camp at the park.

if you go you will see me there this weekend

PostWed May 25, 05 6:38 am     Reply with quote

the lake is great. get htere early I am sure the campground will fill up quick. There will be lots of windsurfersthere. If you can stay upwind all is good with them though. The only bad thing with the lake is that it gets crowded in the kite area when several riders are there throwing down tricks for your wife and kids. Whiskey run is there to , with side or side on winds the beach is safe and very user friendly. All things eventually come in board ,kite,ect.. have fun it should be a great weekend for wind .

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed May 25, 05 6:44 am     Reply with quote

Yes, Whiskey run is a great place to just practice on riding, cause you can drive on the beach, there is no worries about trying to stay up wind, enjoy a nice downwinder, plus the wind tends to be much smoother than Floras, which can get gusty depending on wind direction. Enjoy

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostWed May 25, 05 7:57 am     Reply with quote

hey guys,

where is whiskey run in relation to floras? is that right across on the ocean side? is it actually marked as whiskey run? i have never been to either but, we are thinking floras for a long weekend sometime in june.

kt

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed May 25, 05 8:04 am     Reply with quote

Here is a Topo Map of Bandon and Whiskey run, let me know if you need more info.

bandon.jpg 

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostWed May 25, 05 9:58 am     Reply with quote

hey brandon,

thanks very much, this looks great.

kt

IceZ1974

Since 03 May 2005
10 Posts
Redmond, Oregon

PostWed May 25, 05 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Thanks for all the responses……. I think I might head down there… Not to far from Klamath where I grew up!

Thanx again
Chad

PostFri May 27, 05 6:47 am     Reply with quote

look for seven devils rd. then whiskey run. When heading south if you see bandon dunes you went to far. you can camp on the beach just stay out of sight of the road.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: