Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

uh... getting started..?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostWed Jul 12, 06 4:40 pm    uh... getting started..? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about trying kiting for the first time this year. I'm an accomplished windsurfer (I can jump and jibe, all that good stuff) but I would like to give kiting a try and I'm wondering what the best way is? Should I get one of those little trainer kites and then take a lesson, or just take a lesson right away or what?
I am a little nervous as I have heard a lot of horror stories like losing fingers or being dragged under-water, and then of course the good ole lofted or tea-bagged scenarios. I'm 40, and really don't want to get injured. I'm at the point where I have an awful lot of control on my windsurfer, I just don't get nervous or intimidated like I used to, and strong winds just mean better sailing. Still, the kiting looks fun, especially the guys that play up in the swell coming off the White Salmon.
Suggestions? What about kites like that Rebel in the other thread? Are they a lot safer now? Basically all my windsurfing buddies say "don't do it, kiting is really dangerous..." but I'm wondering if that's not a bit of hold over from the earlier years of kiting.

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostWed Jul 12, 06 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

in my case i bought a trainer after a 9m foil kite,...lol

but the trainer really helps tone my skills and even though i feel i dont need it,...its still really fun to fly.
and to be honest the majority of kiters i see are grey hairs, if you want to be safer i'd say bow kites are the ticket.
i'm glad you want to try kiting, most pole boarders i talk to wont ever consider it...than agian they never get airborne on there sticks Wink

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostWed Jul 12, 06 5:23 pm     Reply with quote

Well, I don't know why kiters hate windsurfers so much, and get into the silly name calling of "pole-boarders" (its "dopes on a rope" from the other side, if that's your thing btw). The name calling and anti-windsurfer sentiment is one of the things that really puts me off getting into the sport. I've now helped nearly a dozen kiters out on the water, I've even towed a kiter into shore, and twice given stranded kiters a lift with all their gear back to the spit. There is a guy on this forum with the handle "Scooter" that can attest to that.
I'm not looking at getting into kiting so I can snub windsurfing. It just looks like another fun windsport to try. I have no problem getting air on my board, not anything like what some of the kiters are capable of, but then its a different sport. I just thought it might be a nice alternative for those lighter wind days.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostWed Jul 12, 06 6:28 pm     Reply with quote

Actually I know alot of kiters who were old windsurfers, myself included. Lots of folks use the term pole-boarders, but in most cases it's not really meant in a derogatory manner. Most windersurfers I have met are pretty cool towards kiters. As for me, I could really care less what get's someone else stoked, as long as they are having fun on the water. Thumb's Up

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostWed Jul 12, 06 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

dont mind me, i'm not bashing windsurfing i just think pole boarder sounds a lot better than windsurfer...imo

the same rivalry is on the slopes,...skiers' vs snowboarders

its just what happens when you mix testosterone (sp?) with any sport.

kiting kicks arse!!!!!!

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Jul 12, 06 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

Yo Lizard,

Excellent to hear that you planning on giving the dark side a whirl. I have been windsurfing for over 15 years in Hood River, and took up kiting about six years ago now. I still sail, but kite about 95% of the time now...

My advice would be to take lessons right away and also get that trainer kite. Take this sport slow at the start, as that is the period when most of the kitemare stuff is likely to happen. In terms of safety, kiting has rapidly matured over the last three years and if you take a safe logical approach to learning the danger level is quite small. Either a good fifth line C-Kite, or Bow will do the trick. Most schools are teaching with C-Kites, but I am sure that Bows are slowly finding thier way into schools as well.

In terms of heckling each other, I call myself a windskipper, pole boarder, dope on a rope, and string surfer all the time. Laughing at yourself is great medicine.

Have fun, Jon Malmberg
www.jbamphoto.com

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostWed Jul 12, 06 7:29 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Jon. So could elaborate a little on why you prefer kiting over windsurfing? I'm not trying to start a debate, but because you are an experienced windsurfer/pole boarder like myself, I'm very interested in what aspect of kiting keeps you coming back for more. Might give me an idea of what to expect or be looking for.

Also, are there any "ok, the first time you try to fly your kite in a lesson, make sure you don't..." suggestions to watch out for?

Sol, thanks for the reply bud. I won't take the "pole boarder" thing to heart. I snowboard, don't ski. We had the same rivalry back in Alberta, and they predicted in 2001 that there would be more snowboarders on the slopes than skiers by 2013. I think it was just over a year later that snowboarding over took skiing, it was just amazing how fast it caught on.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Jul 12, 06 9:16 pm     Reply with quote

Hmmmm, what keeps bringing me back... Guess just the feeling of being more free on the water. Flying along on a small 130cm plank with only a small 18" carbon bar in my hands, and the ability to move my power source over this huge area and make stuff happen in an instant. Kiting up past tunnels and then back down to the sandbar in under two hours, and not really working hard to get up and down the river... Hard to quantify, but there is definitely something about the sport that activates the little kid in me. I am 38 going on 12!!! Wait until you get 30ft up, and then in the same reach throw a F16 and get yanked 30ft horizontal in an instant... Two very different feelings on the same gear in less than 200 yards...

Windsurfing is cool, but after getting good at kiting it always felt like I was trapped behind a 4.5m wall on my sailboard...wait, I was!!! I was not a great windsurfer, but I was good enough to throw the occasion forward, back, and could SPLAT push loops with the best of em... Of course now I am lucky to get a decent 10ft jump in. I still windsurf because of the speed and the power of windsurfing in 30mph plus winds, but kiting is where the heart is. A good windsurfer still impresses me way more than a good kiter because I KNOW how hard the sport is.

Jon

PS: In terms stuff to watch out for... Your instructor will be there every step of the way and is your best source for those questions. We are lucky to have some good ones here in town...

Check out:

Justin at Big Winds
Jim Bison at New Winds
Jim Grady at Kiteboarding Oregon
Carlos through 2nd Wind

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostWed Jul 12, 06 9:26 pm     Reply with quote

also all surf industry is still teaching from portland. nate appel is taking over for amery.

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostWed Jul 12, 06 11:15 pm     Reply with quote

thanks guys, you're getting me stoked! I'll definetly get out there and give it a try!

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Jul 13, 06 7:30 am    lizard I too poled around for 25 yrs. Reply with quote

If you have been pole-dancin for that long you will need something a little easier as you age and kiting is a lot easier at least in the waves ,doesn't look easier in the gorge becuse of traffic

NaishUSA

Since 07 Jul 2005
53 Posts
HR OR

PostThu Jul 13, 06 7:33 am     Reply with quote

Get on it!

Windsurfing and kiteboarding are really quite complimentary sports Kite till 30 and then rig a 4.2....I love living in the gorge Very Happy

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Jul 13, 06 7:40 am    mebbe not here in Florence Reply with quote

kiting here doens't begin until 30 M.P.H.
And after watching the Robby Naish Shockwave vid I decided not to think so much Naish anymore after 3 quivers of their product( Bad kites in each one of them ) some replaced some still pulling
Seeing one of the best kiters /watermen in the world trying to sell a expensive kite while dingle-dangling a mushy open ocean wind swell
I moved on

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 13, 06 8:56 am     Reply with quote

SLipin..

I would definately pick up a trainer kite and practice for awhile. I even have one you can borrow if you want as I never ever touch it anymore. It gets boring quickly but learn to fly the kite without using the "steering wheel" technique. Then fly it with your eyes closed.

I'm not a windsurfer but I think the appeal is this..

1. Kiteboarding is easier in the long run.
2. It's cheaper
3. You can boost way higher
4. And the big reason for me is there is hella less gear. At any given time I have all of my kiteboarding stuff in my trunk. wetsuit, board and a couple kites easily fit in any car. No cargo van, monsterous roof rack with all manner of tubes and trays needed.

I tried windsurfing several times and although I could stay upright and all that, the second I got on a kiteboard and felt the AWESOME power of the kite pulling me, I was instantly hoooked.

Screaming across the water, edging like a maniac, boosting huge air; its like riding lightning!!!

PS. Don't tell anyone else.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Jul 13, 06 11:10 am     Reply with quote

Your sooooo HARDCORE Blowhard...

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostThu Jul 13, 06 11:38 am     Reply with quote

Slipin Lizard wrote:
could elaborate a little on why you prefer kiting over windsurfing? I'm not trying to start a debate, but because you are an experienced windsurfer/pole boarder like myself, I'm very interested in what aspect of kiting keeps you coming back for more. Might give me an idea of what to expect or be looking for.

I'll chime in on this, having windsurfed for 15+ years, I found myself needing more and more wind and bigger waves to have fun. The epic days that I wanted were farther and farther between sesh's.

So with kiting the fun wind threshold is much lower, the stuff to try that's fun is almost endless (and lot's of it is easier to stick), less gear (2 kites + 2 boards = 10 to 40 knots for me), and what makes up an epic is totally different. Windsurfing I needed 4.2 or better and overhead terrain to have fun, with a kite 15 knots on a warm sunny day I'm stoked. Now with the new kites the limits just got pushed back, 25-40 knots on my small Bow is more fun that I ever had windsurfing since the damn sail isn't in the way, I had a few sesh's this spring at Arlington riding waves that blew away windsurfing as far as what you can do on a gorge swell (IMO).

Still, lit up 4.2 windsurfing with some decent terrain is awesome and I don't see stopping, I'll just sail when it's 3.7 now

Mike S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: