Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Beware of that Smell: It's the Willamette

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 12, 06 4:19 pm    Beware of that Smell: It's the Willamette Reply with quote

Beware of that smell; it's the Willamette

FROM KGW.com today:

"PORTLAND, Ore. -- Portland's combined sewers have overflown, due to the most recent rainstorm.

The Willamette River flows through Portland.
So Portland officials said anyone having fun on the Willamette River should be careful. Due to recent rains, the city's sewers have overflowed.

The overflows are common after rain as stormwater and sewage share a system. The environmental services of Portland are asking people who have contact with the river to wash their hands.

And for people who decide to eat fish caught in the Willamette, the city warns the fish should be cooked throughly to kill bacteria."

Not sure how this affects Sauvie's and for how long.... Sad

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Jul 12, 06 5:11 pm     Reply with quote

Nice that we Portlanders pride ourselves on being clean and green. Yet everytime it rains we pump raw sewage in our rivers. Rolling Eyes

www.naishkites.com

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostWed Jul 12, 06 6:08 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! Right Arm!

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostWed Jul 12, 06 8:58 pm    Re: Beware of that Smell: It's the Willamette Reply with quote

tonski wrote:
Beware of that smell; it's the Willamette

FROM KGW.com today:

"PORTLAND, Ore. -- Portland's combined sewers have overflown, due to the most recent rainstorm.

The Willamette River flows through Portland.
So Portland officials said anyone having fun on the Willamette River should be careful. Due to recent rains, the city's sewers have overflowed.

The overflows are common after rain as stormwater and sewage share a system. The environmental services of Portland are asking people who have contact with the river to wash their hands.

And for people who decide to eat fish caught in the Willamette, the city warns the fish should be cooked throughly to kill bacteria."

Not sure how this affects Sauvie's and for how long.... Sad
oh wow !!!thanx for the heads up, i,m on my way..will stop at the rock bottom for some dinner first...then go and troll around in the clean oregon river..........fresh poo alert....

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostThu Jul 13, 06 5:58 am     Reply with quote

It all ends up at your beach so you can have a tast twice Shocked

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jul 13, 06 6:27 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, plus it's not like your precious Necanicum is immune to CSO! Twisted Evil

Many rivers aren't. But I thought PDX had a major project underway to fix it. Anyone have any info about that?

At the end of the day:

If it's blowin, I don't care if it's CSOn', I'm still goin' Laughing

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Jul 13, 06 7:19 am    hey i thought we were going not talk shit??? Reply with quote

let's keep it clean ,,no k

broadbandito

Since 26 Apr 2005
342 Posts
CSO headwaters
WheatHead

PostThu Jul 13, 06 7:34 am     Reply with quote

That little sprinkle made a CSO? Slither, the solution costs $12 billion and takes 27 years to implement. Somehow you know it will still overflow when it rains hard...

Here's the real solution: As the kiting community grows, we gain power. Turd power. That's right. If you live around the CSO headwaters and it's raining in the summer, don't flush. Or just do your business in the backyard. Whatever you do, for every gallon of Eau de Toilette and every school of wrinklefish that stays in the small pond until the sun comes out, there's less in the river.

Otherwise, keep your head above water.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 13, 06 8:40 am     Reply with quote

OK, so the straight dope on the combined sewer overflow problem is this:

1. When it rains, surface runoff (from streets, roofs, parking lots, etc.) enters the city's storm water system. The volume of this storm water is too great for the current system and it overflows into the sewage system, thus flushing fecal matter and all manner of polutants (including hormone laden urine from chicks on birth control pills which can turn fish into hermaphrodites but that is getting off the subject). So in short, not flushing your toilets is not going to help as there is always some amount of sewage sitting in the pipes. DISCONNETCING the downspouts on your house however, will help.

2. The EPA was threatening a lawsuit against the city fining them for violation of the clean water act. Portland (a little reluctantly) set-out to complete the Big pipe project to alleviate the problem. OR at least 94% of the problem.

3. To do so, the city is building a series of pumpstations and installing larger capacity storm water conveyance pipes to handle the greater capacity and intercept combined run-off.

4. The entire project is slated to be completed in 2011 and the total cost will be around 1.4 billion. And for anyone owning a home or paying the water bill..this cost can be seen in the "special projects" section of your water bill (and storm water).

5. Outside of paying taxes and water bills, if you want to help the situation then you need to do the following things..
a. Disconnect the downspouts on your house and let the water infiltrate instead of sntering the stormwater system.
b. Choose gravel or pervious pavers for that new walkway instead of concrete. (or pay extra for pervious concrete)
c. Oppose projects that fill large portions of wetlands.
d. Learn how to hold your poo for several days and then take a big dump in some gresham McDonalds.

Wink

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 13, 06 9:25 am     Reply with quote

Good info monkeyboy, here are a couple of sites that will help you determine if you can save money on your sewer bill by helping the cause (brought to you by the Bureau of Enviornmental Services and those wacky City of Portland web developers):

http://www.portlandmaps.com/?action_override=RiverRewards

http://www.cleanriverrewards.com

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Jul 13, 06 9:55 am     Reply with quote

SWEET LINK PK!

I already installed a drywell system on my property to prevent my basement from leaking. My total savings on my storm water bill will be 70% when I fill out the form!!

A drywell system is uber easy to construct and install if anyone is interested.

Basically your downspouts drain into PVC and then flow to perforated pipes in your yard. It will definately help keep your basement bone dry by channeling water away from your house.

Takes a trencher, abs pipe, and a weekend to install.

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostThu Jul 13, 06 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:

My total savings on my storm water bill will be 70% when I fill out the form!!

A drywell system is uber easy to construct and install if anyone is interested.

Basically your downspouts drain into PVC and then flow to perforated pipes in your yard. It will definately help keep your basement bone dry by channeling water away from your house.

Takes a trencher, abs pipe, and a weekend to install.

hey monkeyboy,

i did this except i call it a 'french drain' my downspouts connect to flexi pipe and then into one sytem which drains downhill in my front yard.

what do you mean by forms? do i get a tax break for doing this?

thanks
kt

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Jul 13, 06 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

different term, same thing.

yes you can get the forms using the second link PK posted. It seems that they will process the forms (or be ready to hand them out in august).

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostThu Jul 13, 06 2:12 pm     Reply with quote

its the stormwater rate incentive program. the city is trying to get more people to do what pdx has done to get more stormrunoff out of the public system, since in much of the city's sewer and storm system is the same pipe.

beware of DEQ and the evil hand of Barbara Priest. most single family dwellings that collect roof water only do not fall under her jurisdition however, if you collect any water from a driveway or road you are required to register the drywell, sump, french drain whatever with the DEQ as it is classified as a UIC (underground injection control) and water quality treatment will be required as well.

EPA as well as DEQ is working to protect the ground water. Ground water now falls under the clean water act.

DEQ does have the authority to issue serious fines.

isnt stormwater fun Very Happy

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostThu Jul 13, 06 2:12 pm     Reply with quote

its the stormwater rate incentive program. the city is trying to get more people to do what pdx has done to get more stormrunoff out of the public system, since in much of the city's sewer and storm system is the same pipe.

beware of DEQ and the evil hand of Barbara Priest. most single family dwellings that collect roof water only do not fall under her jurisdition however, if you collect any water from a driveway or road you are required to register the drywell, sump, french drain whatever with the DEQ as it is classified as a UIC (underground injection control) and water quality treatment will be required as well.

EPA as well as DEQ is working to protect the ground water. Ground water now falls under the clean water act.

DEQ does have the authority to issue serious fines.

isnt stormwater fun Very Happy

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Jul 13, 06 2:27 pm     Reply with quote

Are you sure a frenchdrain is classified as an injection well? The surface water isn't flowing into the water table..its most likely subsurface water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: