Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Beginner Question -- Why not leash boards?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ptavv

Since 29 May 2006
30 Posts

PostFri Jul 07, 06 7:26 pm    Beginner Question -- Why not leash boards? Reply with quote

Why don't kiters leash their boards to their ankles to keep them from floating away? Seems like I hear that kiters lose boards a lot, and an ankle leash seems a pretty easy way to keep it from happening.

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 07, 06 7:34 pm     Reply with quote

You might as well tie a noose around your ankle and hope for the best. What frequently happens, is the boared comes off but the kite keeps pulling. Suddenly when the two forces compete (the board being held by the force of the water/kite pulling you away from the board) the board will lose. This means you have a projectile with sharp things attached, coming for you head at a high rate of speed. I've seen a couple of nasty wounds from people getting hit by boards. Lose the leash and learn to body drag back to your board. You should be able to body drag upwind before you put a board on your feet.

ptavv

Since 29 May 2006
30 Posts

PostFri Jul 07, 06 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

I don't ride with a leashed board, and I can body drag to my board. I was just curious as I've never had an experience where it would have injured me (or at least that I've realized it would have).

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 07, 06 8:02 pm     Reply with quote

Then you're stoked! It's just scary because I've seen people get taken out with their boards and I wouldn't recommend it. I've seen the retractable leashes people wear on their harnesses and those seem to work fine. Better yet, ride with someone better than you and have them get your board for you. Wink Twisted Evil

ptavv

Since 29 May 2006
30 Posts

PostFri Jul 07, 06 8:38 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm completely hooked. In fact, I've got a bruised/swollen knee because of my last session. Doesn't seem like a leash would have changed anything though Smile

adrianczm

Since 06 Mar 2006
89 Posts
Cozumel, Mexico

PostFri Jul 07, 06 10:32 pm     Reply with quote

There is two ways of getting your answer of why No leashes:

1 By hearing what the people said about them
2 By getting hurt by the board attached to your kite

If I had a chance to make that question again I would choose number 1 explanation

Adrian

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 07, 06 10:59 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah it feels awesome when your board leash slings the board into your head, and then you get knocked out and drown. Stay away from the leash, and if you want to use one that bad, wear a helmet, and thigh guards, and a back protector and ...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kitegrrrl

Since 22 Mar 2006
31 Posts

PostSat Jul 08, 06 6:35 am    painting boards Reply with quote

Is there any reason why I shouldn't paint the bottom of my board? I have a Jaime Pro. The black and white coloring blends in to the water much more than bright orange, pink or yellow. Does anyone have a reccomendation for a certain type of paint?

thanks

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Jul 08, 06 8:19 am     Reply with quote

Body dragging upwind is a great skill to learn when you are learning to kite as it will teach you good kite control. My girlfriend learned to body drag upwind before she ever tried to ride the board, so she has never needed a leash.

A couple times she hasn't been able to drag back up to the board but in those cases somebody else would just grab it for her. Good kiters always keep an eye out for someone who's lost a board, so as long as you aren't kiting all by yourself you got nothing to worry about. Thumb's Up

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Jul 08, 06 8:22 am     Reply with quote

Try some bright stickers on your board.

As for the board leash, lose it. I've been hit in the back of the head (used a helmet) at Rooster. I'm convinced I would be dead because I would of been knocked out. I was dizzy the rest of the day and the mark on the helmet was about 1/16 of an inch into the hard plastic.

The only time I can see using a leash is when your alone with light winds and or opposing current (ie sailing on a ebb tide in some coastal bay) and or if your sailing way past the break in the ocean with big swell.

If u must use it, get a helmet. I've got an extra for sale, cheap . . .

Lose it before u start trying airs.

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostSat Jul 08, 06 10:39 am     Reply with quote

While windsurfing I towed some poor soul named Ethan to the Washington side with his kite. His buddies were there to meet us. I don't why he was stuck, but he was right in the channel, well on his way to the Hatch when I got to him. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to retrieve his board. I actually had it on the water, but just couldn't carry it, and we had to just let it go floating off into the sunset.
Most of the windsurfers out there will be willing to help you out. Much of the time we don't intervene because the kiter is perfectly capable of body dragging to their board.
I was told you can put one arm through the footstrap of a kiteboard and sail that way, anyone seen that done?

jatkinson

Since 24 May 2006
15 Posts

PostSat Jul 08, 06 11:39 am     Reply with quote

Here is a sample of what can happen with a leash. This rider was using a reel leash, and I believe was also wearing a helmet.

http://www.skypilotkiteboarding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3319

brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts
Running around the pool with scissors.

PostSun Jul 09, 06 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

I agree w/ PKH. Learning how to body drag upwind should be a basic skill and something you should know how to do before you start trying to ride or jump. You might be surprised that you can get back to your board if you ditch the leash. I think a lot of people use it as a crutch and never properly learn how to body drag upwind. I took a crack to the side of the jaw using a real leash and that was enough for me. A new board is a lot cheaper than dealing with injuries, or paralysis or memory loss or............................................................um....what were we talking about again??

adrianczm

Since 06 Mar 2006
89 Posts
Cozumel, Mexico

PostSun Jul 09, 06 3:50 pm     Reply with quote

very true Brokenlizard. totally agree with you

Adrian

PS by any chance did you forgot a kite a the beach on your last session? Smile

PS Jatkinson, I would love to use a leash if I were the dog on pic numer 3 of the link you post LOL

rebel4hell

Since 09 Jul 2006
2 Posts

PostSun Jul 09, 06 5:24 pm    leash Reply with quote

i totally agree about the upwind thing but sometimes when somebodys learning (working on kite skills and beginning to ride) they need to use a leash for a bit. I know when i was first getting up, all my skills were somewhat amature. I never ever got hit with either two of my boards when I used a leash, though I was doing basic stuff, no jumping. I feel once you can get rid of it you should; but you can definatly avoid getting hit by it and leashes are made out to be way worse then they really are. The easiest way is to watch it when it comes off your feet (make sure it doesnt slingshot back at you) also sometimes when being dragged boards will submerge, in this case you should be safe though the leash will surly break or have hella pressure. I recommend no use once you got the upwind figured out tho, its just another thing you have to worry about.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jul 09, 06 10:57 pm     Reply with quote

Slipin Lizard wrote:

I was told you can put one arm through the footstrap of a kiteboard and sail that way, anyone seen that done?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

In the last blow out in the section that took out half the fleet trying to stand on their boards & pump in ~8-10mph I body dragged down wind 'ontop' the board by holding one foot strap in front of me with and one tip under my chest.

I passed Rene hanks, standing & pumping at the moment...
I smiled. She smiled. She dropped in & on and passed me...

DOH!

Finished 19th out of ~36 that finished out of ~66 that started.

Will there be a blow out for the us this year?????????????????????

JP

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jul 09, 06 10:58 pm    Re: leash Reply with quote

Quote:
i totally agree about the upwind thing

It is at some schools

JP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: