Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Beginner Question -- Why not leash boards?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Jul 10, 06 8:42 am     Reply with quote

I painted my fins safty orange It really helps spot the board.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 11, 06 10:46 am    my thoughts Reply with quote

As a beginner you will lose your board - without a leash you must rely on others to retreive. If using a leash a helmet is mandatory. Also make sure to use a reel leash versus a static line and attach the leash to your harness versus ankle so you don' t get drawn and quartered. Attach the leash to your harness with a quick release type clip or climbing caribeaner. You want to be able to release the board when leash wraps around your neck or anthing else.

As you crash keep your eyes forward/downwind until both the kite and board have come to stand still because the board is coming right at your head. Better to catch it in the back of the helmet versus the face. Even with helmet, a board has split through a Protec helmet and delivered 7 stiches into the back of a skull. Boards and fins are sharp. I use my old fins to dice onions.

With the ability to attach and detach the leash you can disconnect in high wind where being attached is more dangerous and you have enough wind to body drag upwind anyway. And stay connected in light winds where you are more likely to loose the board when your kite goes down.

I keep my reel leash on harness at all times. Only connecting to board when I need to and always don a helmet. Helmets get the chicks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: