Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Disappearing Kiters in the Gorge?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Jul 07, 06 7:32 am    Disappearing Kiters in the Gorge? Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that it seems a lot of kiters (some who were really good) you don't see any more? Are they all just doing dawn patrol sessions? Are they at some super secret spot that only the 3l33t know about? Have they moved on from kiting? Is there a giant sturgeon swallowing them?

Any ideas? Am I just not seeing these guys or did I imagine them in the first place?

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostFri Jul 07, 06 7:46 am     Reply with quote

i don't know but i saw some out of control shiat taking place at the spit over the weekend. those brothers on the Cabrinha....nutso.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Jul 07, 06 7:48 am     Reply with quote

bamboo wrote:
i don't know but i saw some out of control shiat taking place at the spit over the weekend. those brothers on the Cabrinha....nutso.

Hey don't get me wrong, I am not saying there aren't still lots of amazing kiters in the Gorge (especially some of the ones from out of town.) But I can think of a few faces that I haven't seen in the last couple of years that I used to see all the time.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 07, 06 7:49 am    Re: Disappearing Kiters in the Gorge? Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Has anyone noticed that it seems a lot of kiters (some who were really good) you don't see any more?

no, just avoiding the gay bar as much as possible. There's some 100 + miles of river out there most of which has better wind the bar... Drive it keep your eyes wide open.

jp

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostFri Jul 07, 06 8:35 am     Reply with quote

I agree with J.P. as people are finally starting to spread out. There is so much river and lots more access being found all the time. Just have to be willing to drive sometimes. I say leave the Sandbar to the kite schools and for the after-work locals who want to grab a quick sesh or for those in town who don't know any better.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Jul 07, 06 9:32 am     Reply with quote

I guess that could be it.... I get around to different spots quite a bit though, and I see lots of the same people each time. The savvier guys usually all end up at the same spots because we all know where its going to be good. I pretty much never go to the sandbar (unless its at the end of a downwinder.)

Just wondering if anyone knows of people (no need to name names) who have moved on from kiting in the Gorge or rarely go out any more.

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostFri Jul 07, 06 9:43 am     Reply with quote

Would be nice if some of the local riding spots would thin out a bit but unfortunatly it seems for every one kiter that fades away five newb's emerge. Not knocking newb's but this sport is still growing so fast.

I think the longer people ride the more wind-picky they get as well or maybe they are more willing to let their priorities change as their stoke-level fizzles. But all-n-all most of us are still junkies and would sacrifice our first born for an epic sesh. Laughing

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 07, 06 10:08 am     Reply with quote

Those brothers on the cabs = Gay, but they do have superior dangle skillz.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostFri Jul 07, 06 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

I dunno...i think a few have moved on. I know a guy who used to tear shit up in his day, and was on his way to really making it, but now he's a beer distributor.

A few have also moved on to better locales. Padre, Maui, Mexico, Hatteras...

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 07, 06 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

you have got to be kidding, or must be bitter that you were shown up at your home spot? chill, not everyone is fixated on what you think is cool.

Inept_Fun wrote:

tacksharp

Since 06 Dec 2005
91 Posts
The Hood
Photographer

PostFri Jul 07, 06 8:14 pm     Reply with quote

It is a different scene than it used to be. I think quite a few have moved almost strictly into wave riding, like Tobias, etc., and the shift of team riders among the Gorge kiting companies really dictates who shows up during the summer. I think a few years ago it was incredible, say 2003, but since it has tapered off in terms of the number of regular pros you will see on the water in a given area. On another note, I'm glad too see everyone spreading out. There is so much good river out there. I just got a call from Joe T. yesterday - he's got a new surfboard - it could be game on out east. Twisted Evil I hope the good riders keep pushing new areas, exploring, looking for something new. There is sooooooo much more than the sandbar. Just my two cents..

adrianczm

Since 06 Mar 2006
89 Posts
Cozumel, Mexico

PostFri Jul 07, 06 10:29 pm     Reply with quote

May be they realized the have a job dude!!!!

Same happens here in Cozumel, when its too much kiting and business needs attention we then disappear for a while. Funny thing is that here they dont ask were kiters are like you did.

I hear more stories like:

yeah that kiter is no longer on the beach cause he is affraid of the wind...
Yeah, he is scared of kiting...
Ohhh he is a pussy and dont want to kite any more...}
But would never say:

Yeah, he is working his butt hard to make a nice living!!!

Man, what have I done with my life? I dont want to become a beach bumb, home less kiter Smile

I think I need to balance Kite and work

Sounds Familiar?

Adrian

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 07, 06 10:56 pm     Reply with quote

Gabe first of all, im not making this a competition, i could care less about getting "Showed Up" at my home spot, tho in my opinion what they were doing wasnt close to getting "Showed Up". Ive seen peoples dads do hooked in sent front rolls, a million times in a row. I could even send it and spin my first year of kiting. Im sorry im not FIXATED on what you think is cool. Im not trying to be BETTER than anybody, or compare myself to anyone either, im trying to do my own thing, and have my own style.

I didnt realize calling someone a dangler meant that i am bitter, and got showed up?

Sweet im out.

BTW wind was sick at the sandbar today, and no one was there to "show me up" either. hopefully no one "shows me up" tomorrow, or i would cry Sad .

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 07, 06 11:53 pm     Reply with quote

good, you can do your thing and they can do their thing, but they are very good kiters and hardly classified as "gay" just because their style isn't your style. they dont sit around maui calling every pro who doesnt do monster kite loops in 40kts gay. it's a maturity thing.

Inept_Fun wrote:

adrianczm

Since 06 Mar 2006
89 Posts
Cozumel, Mexico

PostSat Jul 08, 06 5:23 am     Reply with quote

Seems you guys have some of the same sh..t we have here.

Kiteboardings nature is to show off and till you decide if you want to compete every one and be the best or just have a great time at the water then you will have a happier riding.

Most people out there are just looking at and trying to be better than others. If thats the case, go and compete do yourself am atlethe (sp?) a have a good time beating everybodies butt.

I found it more fun manking friends at the beach/water and have a better time.

At my age, I aint compete with a 14 year old Sick Kido!!! So I better have a great time and enjoy the sport.

Adrian

PS: Who is who to say whats the best style? A pro? Hehehehehe I have meet a few and some of them still dont know what is life about Smile But they are happy that way:)

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Jul 08, 06 6:42 am    BEACH BUMS Reply with quote

Hey wussamatter wid being a beach bum? I worked most of my life to to fuck off
Sorry never kited the gorge, so pretty much off subject sailed it a bunch though

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostSat Jul 08, 06 6:43 am    Re: Disappearing Kiters in the Gorge? Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Has anyone noticed that it seems a lot of kiters (some who were really good) you don't see any more? Are they all just doing dawn patrol sessions? Are they at some super secret spot that only the 3l33t know about? Have they moved on from kiting? Is there a giant sturgeon swallowing them?

Any ideas? Am I just not seeing these guys or did I imagine them in the first place?

Giant sturgeon is swallowing them.... it's a documented fact. I read it at the Discovery Center in The Dalles.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: