Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

LOCALISM(it's ugly) lot's of sandbars on the beach
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 03, 06 9:28 pm     Reply with quote

I think this was him actually

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 03, 06 9:52 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
The sand bar is always full of stupid ass people. It's the nature of the place and probably one of the reasons that they don't want to open the port up to us.

That's a good point... if the sandbar is any example of how things would go, its no surprise they haven't opened up anything else.

I like Hein's idea of setting up some kind of launch up at the Hook. Keep it all rocky even to scare away the kooks.

I was riding up there again today and the wind wasn't that bad, if anything it was better than the wind at the current "rock bar."

NaishUSA

Since 07 Jul 2005
53 Posts
HR OR

PostWed Jul 05, 06 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

The hook was the original designated launch spot in town but folks moved down (smartly) to the greener pastures and goose shit of the sand bar. The ramp leading down to the water was one of the Port's initial concessions to the kiteboarding population. Unfortunately the crowd at the sand bar will drive more folks up there (the hook) and while it is a doable launch for an experienced kiter in the right conditions its not too suitable for half of the sandbar population on a good day and downright sketch when the wind is really SW. Id hate to see the hook get like the current Stevenson Circus 'cause someone WILL get hurt.

Opening up the Marina Beach is not the solution, there is too much potential user conflict as well as established historical use~ i hate to burst anyone's bubbles but the dollar contribution of the families that live in hood river year round and use the marina beach & marina itself greatly outweigh the economic contribution of visiting kiters. If kiters took over the beach there would be nearly zero swimming access in town.

The solution is new infrastructure and access- which all costs money and doesnt happen overnight. Its nice to see Sherry interested in alternatives like the suggested outer hook platform. Id personally like to see Wells Island turned into a kiteboarding access with a footbridge. It is certainly underutilized and could clear up some of the congestion on the river. Slave...errr...volunteer labor could also go a long way to defray costs for cleaning/clearing the island.

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Jul 05, 06 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

Someone should row a boat over to Wells Island - place a flag and lay claim like Columbus.

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 05, 06 1:37 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe NaishUSA could provide a company flag if we named it "Naish Island" Laughing Laughing

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 05, 06 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

I have noticed when ever going upwind from the spit to the hatch that the best wind and most wide area is just upwind/ at well's island. Also windsurfers launch from the small sandy beach. It looks ideal but where do you park? How do the windsurfers access the spot? park and thread water for a ways? I would personally choose that spot over the spit for alot of reasons that are obvious.

NaishUSA

Since 07 Jul 2005
53 Posts
HR OR

PostThu Jul 06, 06 9:27 am     Reply with quote

Alot of windsurfers sail up from the event site or launch at the hook and kick it at the beach on wells- currently the only other way is to swim/paddle/boat. While the beach may look nice from a distance, the current state of overgrowth supports a healthy population of mosquitoes.

That being said if someone raises a flagpole Ill provide the flag and schwag for the effort Smile

Portland Pete

Since 08 Mar 2005
145 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostThu Jul 06, 06 11:25 am     Reply with quote

A lonely afternoon at Wells Island a couple summers ago
I think that is a Naish Flag in the background on the beach

Wells Island
 Wells Island  wellsisland.jpg 

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 06, 06 11:33 am     Reply with quote

There has to be another way to get there than sailing. I've kited upwind of wells and people had coolers/ BBQ the works so they musta parked near and threaded water a little, but where did they cross?

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 06, 06 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

Looks pretty isolated to me.

Wells / Naish Island
 Wells / Naish Island  Wells Island.jpg 

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Jul 06, 06 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

Ok lets put a zip line from the hook to the island, and another one back...

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 06, 06 8:06 pm     Reply with quote

Could be good marketing for Naish to get a claim on the island if something like that does happen. It would be awesome marketing when people asked "where you kiting today?" NAISH ISLAND bro!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NaishUSA

Since 07 Jul 2005
53 Posts
HR OR

PostFri Jul 07, 06 10:14 am     Reply with quote

Unfortunately I think it is either state or county land...but if you wanted to set up a squatter's camp Id shuttle you hot dogs and bug spray Very Happy

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Jul 07, 06 2:03 pm     Reply with quote

If someone has a boat then I have two VERY burly and VERY expensive gas trimmers that will get rid of any brush, weeds, twigs, etc in a hurry!!

It would be cool to have a little raft with eyelets on it that a weighted rope ran through. You could then pull yourself hand over hand to the island and the rope would be out of sight and not pose a risk to people.

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostFri Jul 07, 06 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

Just some back ground information.....

Wells Island is located on the Oregon side of the Columbia River at River just northwest of the city of Hood River. The island, approximately 1/2 mile long and 1/4 mile wide, is a result of the filling of the Bonneville Reservoir, the pool behind the Bonneville Dam.

According to the Friends of the Columbia River Gorge Website, 2006.....
"... The island is covered with willow and cottonwood trees and meadows, where cattle formerly grazed in the summer. It is one of the best bird habitats in the Bonneville Pool portion of the Columbia Gorge. Many Canada geese nest, brood and graze on it, and it supports an active heron rookery at its western end. There are also other bird species, including several bald eagles, which use it regularly ..." It is a designated bird santuary controlled by the National Forest Service.

The first name for the island was "Morrison Island", named after the owner of the property when the island developed. In March 1940 it was purchased by Dr. Stanley Wells. The name "Wells Island" was made official by the U.S. Board of Geographic Names in 1986. It is was donated to the National Forest Service in the mid 1980s by the Port of Hood River as part of mitigation for "development" of the Hook.

I've windsurfed off it, which was a blast but a pain to get to and back because of "wind shadow"....but I have never kited from it.....looks like fun though!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 10, 06 12:06 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, it was at notsosecrets later this afternoon.
I consoled a rather hot blond today who got the ‘tude while landing with what was obvious in my eyes...

if that faction gives this shit to hot riders, well... then they're obviously fargon idiots…

Yes good move MC Fargon Flys…. Good move… chase the single women away with your ‘tude’… nice...

dickheads!

jp

ps. phil, is this too harsh?????????

Last edited by J.P. on Mon Jul 10, 06 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 10, 06 6:38 am     Reply with quote

J.P. wrote:
ps. phil, is this too harsh?????????

I don't know, I thnk you may be right, and for some reason girls seem to be picked on more often by a certain breed on the beach.

hey but who cares, yesterday was schweeet!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: