Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Deceiver Kite bag suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 29, 06 2:33 pm    Deceiver Kite bag suggestions Reply with quote

I travel to NY a few times a year and have decided to get a “Golf Bag”. I have 2 boards 1- 130 and 1 -140. I would like to fit 3 kites in it at some point (bows) but I only have 1 now. I remember hearing that the NSI Golf Bag has been tagged by the airlines and a board bag. I also know nothing will be safe from fees forever.

Also, do any of the shops stock them? I have not been to HR or GP in a while and don’t know if they stock them.

Any ideas or thoughts?

ED

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 29, 06 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

Used one on American Airlines a couple months ago to Florida and they didn't say a word. Also, if you can get a skycap to check it for you outside (don't forget to tip well) they will usually do it without charging you.

http://offdal.stores.yahoo.net/28-decever.html

offdalip.com has them for $145.00. They are fast with shipping as well.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jun 29, 06 3:11 pm     Reply with quote

I use a dakine snowboard bag with all the logos blacked out - holds two boards 157 and 122 and all the misc stuff - If you keep the weight under 50 lbs they seem to overlook the oversized length and always check curbside if they have it - tip nice - sometimes oversize items end up forgotton on top of the truck.

If they ask what it is, I mumble golf clubs, never had a problem. I usually put my kites in a separte second duffel.

alankitesurf2

Since 21 Jun 2006
81 Posts

PostThu Jun 29, 06 3:15 pm    Golf bag Reply with quote

Just go get a real golf bag down at the local discount golf store.Then put a couple of lightweight golf clubs like a driver or two in for show and you can say with confidence " yes its a golf bag and my clubs are in there-wanna see? " At that point just make sure the weight is ok and you'll be fine with any airline.Even worked for continental...

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostThu Jun 29, 06 3:40 pm     Reply with quote

Used a small Wipika kiteboard bag with kiteboarding covered (held 2 kites and a board) weighing 45 pounds checked curb side on Hawaiian. Just smiled and told them it was a snowboard and had no problems either way. Keep it light, check in early and be polite with a smile and a tip ($5 for the kiteboard bag) seems to work every time.

chrisf

Since 06 Jan 2006
17 Posts
White Salmon

PostThu Jun 29, 06 3:54 pm     Reply with quote

I used the Deceiver on Continental going Mexico in Feb. worked great on each end of the trip. I checked in at the ticket desk no questions asked.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jun 29, 06 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

Never had any trouble with the NSI bag, probably 10 trips now. Even if they do suspect its not golf clubs there is nothing they can really do about it and they don't want to open your bag. Just make sure its under 50lbs.

Oh and don't lie to the security folks, tell them exactly what it is. They won't tell the airline, and you don't want to screw with security.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jun 29, 06 5:45 pm     Reply with quote

Naish split bag! packs 3 kites, my board, and 2 golf clubs!

No Q's asked! Cool

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostThu Jun 29, 06 6:25 pm     Reply with quote

whatever your bag is make sure you dont end up with the pycho bitch baggage checkers. you can see it in their eyes from the end of the line. i got charged once for a 30 lb bag with on tiny board in it. no amount of deception could have saved me.

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostThu Jun 29, 06 6:56 pm     Reply with quote

i grabbed a nike golf bag that is padded all the way around and has a thermoplastic spine that runs up 3/4 of the bottom. it fits my 134 slingy board and two slingy fuels with enough room for harness, gear, etc. i always stuff clothes at the top so that if i have to open it up it just looks like a bag full of stuff.

i also roll right up to the counter and park that thing standing up with the logo's facing the counter. if it's standing up they will instantly think clubs because it's in that shape and honestly, who would lay their clubs flat on the ground?

all this may be to naught as i've heard the airlines are allowing them now...

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 29, 06 7:35 pm     Reply with quote

Ever since we switched to Deceivers from the Da Kine Airwagon (always charged!), no charges as long as we keep them underweight. We always carry a club or two in each bag in the event an agent starts drilling us.

Adding a "Honey, can you grab our Golf Bag?" right as you get up to the agent has helped so far. Laughing

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 29, 06 7:36 pm    Re: Deceiver Kite bag suggestions Reply with quote

EddieGPDX wrote:
Also, do any of the shops stock them? I have not been to HR or GP in a while and don’t know if they stock them.
ED

We have the NSI Deceiver Golf Bags, as well as some Prolimit Coffin Cases, in stock.

As for airline issues, it is always wise to research the specific baggage requirements for the airline you are flying(strangely enough, rules vary a good deal between airlines). It is my experience that many of the airline ticketing agents actually are very limited in their knowledge and understanding of what their rules are and how they pertain to different types of luggage. I also print out a copy of their baggage requirements from their website and bring it with me just to make sure I have all bases covered. This helps to keep you from getting screwed at the last minute without any defensive strategy.

Pepi
2nd Wind Sports LLC
(541)386-4464
2ndwind@gorge.net

www.Purestokesports.com

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 29, 06 8:11 pm     Reply with quote

this one is big enough for your kites and boards
http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=SKB2SKB-5020W/328.0

i use this case for a sit down hydrofoil. after i get my ski and wetsuit packed, i throw a bag of golf balls in and lay a couple of drivers on top. Then I drop it off at the drive up check-service and hand them a 20 + $2 ($2 a bag). I tell them I have golf clubs in there, no questions asked, goes through.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostThu Jun 29, 06 8:31 pm    Re: Deceiver Kite bag suggestions Reply with quote

EddieGPDX wrote:
I travel to NY a few times a year and have decided to get a “Golf Bag”. I have 2 boards 1- 130 and 1 -140. I would like to fit 3 kites in it at some point (bows) but I only have 1 now. I remember hearing that the NSI Golf Bag has been tagged by the airlines and a board bag. I also know nothing will be safe from fees forever.

Any ideas or thoughts?

ED
KITEWORLD .NET.....SHIT I FORGOT TO PUSH THE CAPITAL BUTTON...OH WELL .. WHERE ARE YOU...EATSHITKITE ...HAVE YOU SEEN MIKEHAWK??

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 29, 06 9:42 pm     Reply with quote

i want to thank everyone for thier help. even the troll. i was waiting for it's input and now, along with everyone else, i would like to thank them for your help. i really beleive in this forum and wish there was one like this in ny. if i end up returning there, i'll start one with this in mind. thx phil.......

ed

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostThu Jun 29, 06 10:24 pm     Reply with quote

EddieGPDX wrote:
i want to thank everyone for thier help. even the troll. i was waiting for it's input and now, along with everyone else, i would like to thank them for your help. i really beleive in this forum and wish there was one like this in ny. if i end up returning there, i'll start one with this in mind. thx phil.......

ed
IF YOU CANT SPELL DON,T TRY...JUST FAKE IT...THE TROLL

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 29, 06 10:51 pm    nice riding taylor!!!!! Reply with quote

ok i suck at spelling and grammer Laughing maybe this will let taylor know that spelling and english and that other stuff is important. my loss will hopfully be his gain.

nice riding taylor!!!!!!!!!!

ED

(opps i found the shift/caps lock key)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: