Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Don't know if I should get more lessons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Xand

Since 29 Jun 2006
2 Posts
West Linn, Oregon

PostThu Jun 29, 06 11:51 am    Don't know if I should get more lessons Reply with quote

The last time I had lessons was at Hood River about three years ago, it was a group lesson deal and we didnt get on the board since the lesson ended short.

I finally got my kite and board this year, after having asked my parents for well over 3 years now, so i really want to get on the water.

In the lesson we had with the instructor, we practiced with trainer kites as well as some 4m 4 line kites. I have had a trainer kite for over 3 years now as well, and can say i have put in about 10 hours on it in many different wind ranges. Also, I have practiced with my 12m 4 line for a total of 3 hours now.

I bought a DVD called "The Complete Kiteboarding Guide" a year ago, and it has been very helpful, I have watched it about 2 times now.

I am just curious for anyone's imput about whether I would be alright in the water and somewhere like sauvie's island without having to dish out some more cash on lessons-

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 29, 06 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

Since you did not get to ride your board, you may want to spend the bucks for another lesson. Not only will you and everyone be safer but your learning curve will be shorter too.

Also, launching, landing, water re-launching, and self rescue are critical to kiting.

Oh, and there is now a Sauvie Island Safty Patrol and you don't want a ticket. I hear they shoot first then hold a spelling bee for new recrutes Laughing

Give ASI a call about Kite Night tonight. It might be on and its a good place to talk to people about ability and next steps.

Did I miss anything guys?

ED

Xand

Since 29 Jun 2006
2 Posts
West Linn, Oregon

PostThu Jun 29, 06 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

Alright, I will try to get another lesson in, does ASI offer lessons in any location where you can kite, or will they pick a spot? I just don't want the price to go up to much-

Thanks for the feedback

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 29, 06 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

ASI does offer lessons and Emery is the one who taught me.

see this thread...

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-1807.html

Generally lesson are taught where there is wind and it's a safe place to learn.

I would give ASI a call.

ED

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jun 29, 06 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

I would definately book a session with Emery. You'll thank yourself for spending the money.

Don't be afraid to ask someone on the beach to look over your stuff or give you a hand if your unsure of yourself---after you take another lesson.

Everyone will be more than willing to lend you a hand.

The last thing you want to do is be reckless or generally unsafe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: