Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Waroo or Warpoo?
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jun 28, 06 8:55 am    Waroo or Warpoo? Reply with quote

OK, I'm not trying to offend anyone here, just trying to get the straight dope on the waroo line before I drop some cash on them.

I hear all kinds of great things about the kite and realize that they are cheaper and not as burly as some other kites but here is the rub..

I have tried my buddies new waroo 14 out twice. Each time I tried it I just came off the water and was completely lit on my CB 16. With my kite trimmed for complete depower I am edging like a madman and have the "ape arm" thing going on just to sheet out to stay on the water.

I get on my buddies 14 and I'm barely powered! I'm pumping the kite and there just isn't anything there. When I look at the kite in the air there is allot of material just kind of flapping around and the struts are correctly inflated. I've never seen a kite with more "loose" material. Lastly, the thing does NOT like to relaunch when it is directly down wind to you. Learning to kite 4 years ago on a really old kite at rooster in the fall, I am well versed in re-launching kites. I can always relaunch my CB. This thing just won't "grab" the edge of the kite and rotate it. Several times I had to reef like a madman on one of the back lines and pull the opposite inside line and hold them away from each other to get the kite to turn on its side.

Another friend flew the kite and when he landed I said "I'm not so sure about the waroo thang' and this striking look of recognition was on his face and he says "I know!!, where is the power? and it flies like a garbage bag in the air with all that flapping"

Soooo, I'm thinking that maybe its just the bigger sizes that are not so great?

Did best not put much thought into their bigger kites and just upsized their 9's?

It seems like it needs more struts? My CB16 has 7 and the waroo has 5.

Was some asian guy sleep deprived when he sewed the kite and it should be returned as defective?

Does anyone have experience with the bigger waroos? And how about the 9's? I'm looking for a good deal on a small bow for the gorge.

Thanks anyone for thoughtfull comments! I mean no offense to existing waroo owners.

Smile

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 28, 06 9:00 am     Reply with quote

it sounds like your friend didn't have the kite rigged on the right rear bridle knot. If the kite was flapping, he had probably rigged too loose. I can't remember which knot (out of 6) you are supposed to rig to for the 14, it's the 3rd knot for the 12.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Jun 28, 06 9:04 am     Reply with quote

Most kites have a "sweet" kite. The Waroo seems to be the 7 and 9.

www.naishkites.com

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostWed Jun 28, 06 9:04 am     Reply with quote

He was rigged on the 3rd knot the first time and the very upper not the next. Plenty of back line tension and it didn't seem the kite was doing the "kite edges pulling in, loss of power, I don't know what you call it, that aint right thingie" (circa 02 Slingshot torque Laughing )

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 28, 06 9:24 am     Reply with quote

search for 14m on the bestkiteboarding message board and there is a long discussion on this.

with the 9+7 i find that you can pull in the center strap and make the back lines too loose and the kite gets all flappy but still has back line pressure. you know the back lines are short enough when it stops flapping and locks in tight.

but it could be the 9+7 are sweet and the 14 is a dog.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jun 28, 06 9:42 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Most kites have a "sweet" kite. The Waroo seems to be the 7 and 9.

The 12m is pretty nice too, but yeah I think the bigger the Waroo, the less amazing performance. They just don't jump that great until you get them into a lot of wind. The 12m jumps great in tons of wind, but by then you could be on a 9m and jumping even higher.

I just got a brand new 06 Yarga 13m, had it out at Sauvies the other night and it was sweet. Super smooth and lots of power/depower. Looped real nice and jumped great and all that. My conclusion: Stick with C kites 10m+, Waroo's 9m and below.

If you read around, this seems to be the conclusion many have come to.

broadbandito

Since 26 Apr 2005
342 Posts
CSO headwaters
WheatHead

PostWed Jun 28, 06 9:44 am     Reply with quote

I have 12 and 7 waroos which both seem to fly well and have a lot more power than my mid aspect C kites of the same m2. Maybe the 14 is just the wrong design? I was at SI last week and noticed I was better powered on my 12 than another guy was on his 14 waroo.

I can't explain it and I haven't flown a 14 yet.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jun 28, 06 9:45 am     Reply with quote

Ooh one exception to my conclusions on sizes... I still would have a 12m Waroo if I lived on the coast... the flat kites are just so much fun in the waves, and I am pretty sure 12m+surfboard would get me out in bugfart wind and be awesome in the waves.

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostWed Jun 28, 06 10:27 am     Reply with quote

I own a 12,9, and 7 waroo and am happy with each size. there is a learning curve with the waroo. these kites need to be flow with speed to work well and they don't have the low end grunt of a C kite, but will perform great if ridden with speed. i have been out on my 12 and the glide and been the last person on the water while everyone else went in because the wind was dropping off. if you live and ride in oregon and are under 180lbs i don't think you need any waroo larger than a 12.

bandito

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 28, 06 11:04 am     Reply with quote

I have never flown a big waroo, but I doubt the 14 is a dud because they designed this after all the other kites and took a while to do it. It’s true you need to ride fast to get power out of them, and sheet them efficiently—maybe it’s a different technique than you are used to. In light wind they are somewhat technical to fly well, which is fun.

The kites shouldn’t flap when you are sheeted in. They do flap a lot when depowered or during turns. But, there is nothing clearly bad about this that I can tell. If you watch a waroo sanded on a beach, it flaps a lot (like most kites), whereas an xbow seems like it is totally firm. Xbow’s appear to behave more like wings that look the same across different angles, and the waroo is more like a sail that backwinds as expected. Not clear that one is actually better. Compare the sizes of the struts and LE though, and there is a big difference.

Still, I would never buy a kite that big anyways. For light wind, the advantage of flat kites is that you can get a lot of power out of a small size.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostWed Jun 28, 06 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

I was riding a 14 last night and had all the power i could handle. I had to pull in on the depower to avoid riding with the bar sheeted out all the way. You are correct that they are really sensitive to getting the line lengths correct also Best made the Waroo bar with different length front and back leaders just to confuse the issue. I added another knot on the back bridle closer to the kite and that gave me more power.
You are right about them being rrustrating to relaunch from dead downwind in lighter winds, I am still trying to get that a bit better.
Earlier in the year i had a 16 but decided it was bigger than i was going to need and switched it for the 14. With a big ply board the 14 gets me up just fine in light winds, just have to get the faster relaunch figured.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 28, 06 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

Decent review: Waroo 20 Real User Review

Maui Masked Man

Since 09 May 2006
37 Posts
Portland

PostWed Jun 28, 06 3:12 pm    Waroo - unhooked jumps Reply with quote

I am wondering about the Waroo also for other types of riding. I have flown my friends Waroo and it is great for floaty jumps and fast smooth turns. However, I ride unhooked most of the time and when I tried to jump unhooked, it was not so good. It seemed like the kite was not able to provide the lift and power as a C-kite. Perhaps it has something to do with the lack of bar pressure which is required for unhooked jumps. Does anyone have this issue or have a solution I can try? Question

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostWed Jun 28, 06 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

I read about the lnes being different lengths, how stupid is that? The best people said they did that so that you could use other people's bars. What, they don't like their own bar?

I'm going to tell him to add a knot and see how that feels. As far as not needing a kite bigger than a 12 bow in oregon..not so sure about that. I don't kno0w how many dozens of times I went to sauvie and just sat there before I bought my CB16. That thing is a bull dog!! 190lbs with a 132 board and I have yet to move the lines from the first knot on the rear bridle.

As long as people like the 9's and 12's then I feel comfortable buying one..I guess. I guess there is a reason they are so inexpensive though. Sad

What do you guys think for an oregon coast and gorge kite.. 9 or 12?
Thanks!
Brian

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostWed Jun 28, 06 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy,

why are you going to buy a waroo? are you just a lemming following the crowd or do you have anything good to say about the waroo that would lead you to want to spend your hard earned money on one? i haven't read anything from you about the waroo that is good. you don't need to do us a favor and get one just to join the club, we'll still let you kite with us.

Bandito

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostWed Jun 28, 06 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

Ummm, no need to go on the attack ya know. Although it may seem like it, Im not out to solely diss the waroos. Just trying to find out if my buddies Waroo is bunk or the whole line behaves the same.

What's good about the Waroo? People seem to really like the smaller sizes and they are $600 cheaper than the diesels and crossbows. It is a known fact that they are not made as well but I'm willing to sacrafice as I am broke.

Give me $600, I'll buy a crossbow and let this post die. i'll even throw a couple free shuttles in to boot.

Smile

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostWed Jun 28, 06 4:41 pm     Reply with quote

"Best Kiteboarding warrants its products to the original purchaser in the form of a 30-day performance guarantee. If you are not satisfied with any of our products, you may return the products for a full refund or exchange within 30 days of documented delivery of the product as certified by the shipper."

Buy it, try it and return it if you don't like it.

What else is there to say!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: