Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Oregon Coast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kitecreep

Since 27 Jun 2006
2 Posts

PostTue Jun 27, 06 4:26 am    Oregon Coast Reply with quote

Hey all,
I've heard the Oregon coast gets good wind and waves in the summer. I'm planning to spend most of August out your way and was wondering if anybody can point me towards inexpensive lodging or campgrounds that would put me near the preferred launches. I've been kiting since '99 and I live on Cape Hatteras and mostly kite the ocean there. Another friend of mine is heading towards the Astoria area (he's got a relative to stay with).
I know the wind moves around and no spot/area is skunk proof but what area would put me in the best "zone" for wave kiting? I don't mind driving and plan to bounce around to different spots anyway. Not really interested in the Gorge as flat/swell water doesn't do it for me anymore and Hatteras has mucho flat water in the sound. (If you don't know Hatteras is a barrier island with great surf on the ocean side and flat, flat water on the sound as it stays shallow (knee to waist) for about 3 miles.)
Anyway any info is appreciated.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Jun 27, 06 5:46 am    Hatteras fun Reply with quote

You fine folks from the great state of North Carolina are always welcome at my beach ,Florence.
When I was in Avon a couple years ago everybody made me feel right at home so come on down (and bring yer smokes)
One of my fondest memories of the week spent there was watching your top dog pull up in his Escalade while his minions launched him ,,he boosts a huge air while smoking a cig gives it a flip into the water and rides off into the sound,,the right stuff

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostTue Jun 27, 06 8:25 am     Reply with quote

The gorge can be flat a 'boring' but in august the eastern gorge can be great with big winds and big smooth rollers. may not be your choice for the whole time but something every kiter should experience, there arent many places like it when its windy.

on the coast i would stay in the newport/florence area. N. Coast doesnt get as much wind especially in August and the S. Coast is almost to windy.

kitecreep

Since 27 Jun 2006
2 Posts

PostTue Jun 27, 06 11:53 am     Reply with quote

Blowhard
I think your talking about Captain Ty Luckett though I never remember him driving a Caddy. One of the few kiters down here who smokes. He is also one helluva kiter, one of the first 2 on Hatteras. Got me started.
Glad you were treated well here. We've got so much access we miss alot of the crowding issues you get in places like Hawaii, etc.
Florence is one of the spots on my list to hit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: