Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Beaches and Bullets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jun 26, 06 6:48 pm    Beaches and Bullets Reply with quote

About a mile north of the Sunset beach access road they sometimes block beach access while the military does target practice. The restricted area is about 500 yards wide.

Today, I downwinded from the Iredale to Sunset. As I approached the the north end of the restricted area, I headed out well past the break to dodge the bullets. I'm out a ways, and the switch flips. Up until that point I'm LIT on my 12M. Suddenly I'm struggling to keep it in the air.

Shocked

No longer able to plane, I pump and loop myself silly and finally get into shore about 200 yards south of the restricted zone. Later I went up and talked to the guard at the south end...."Oh, that was you!...I had to stop the shoot!!" he says. I apologized and explained that my wind died. He said he could tell and seemed to have some appreciation for the sport. I told him I would spread the word and I asked him what the rules are.

He said the no-fly zone extends to the outside of the break. So just draw a line from the beach barriers, straight out past the break a ways, and stay out of there.

I learned today to not under estimate the drastic changes in wind strength that can occur as you travel up and down the North Strip. I knew it was 16m at Sunset when I parked my car there, but it had notched up at the wreck and I figured it notched up down at Sunset as well. Instead Sunset was even lighter!

Jahmbi, you can ...LOL... your troll tail off, but the hand holding line didn't work on the 18 year old from Kelso, and it's not going to work on me!

You can fix those bullet holes right up with sail tape!

Alien

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostMon Jun 26, 06 7:16 pm    lack of wind Reply with quote

sorry to hear of your bad time Crying or Very sad don,t get me started slither Shocked seems you made the wrong choice Twisted Evil ..why did,nt you point out the direction for the kid from Kelso...he said he asked for asst. from the forum ,are you not a moderator???did you hear about the crows in saquatchs car ,eat the pistacios??? Laughing Laughing Laughing you should have stayed up with us today Smile Smile ........troll

tch

Since 08 Aug 2005
17 Posts

PostMon Jun 26, 06 8:10 pm    no harm Reply with quote

I don't post here much, but I'm one of the often lurkers. I shoot at Rilea several times a year and that whole beach guard stuff is a complete joke. There is absolutely no chance of getting hit by a bullet fired at the range. Anything shot off range is not a live round.

The range is dug well below sea level and there is about 100 ft of elevation gain before about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile of thick trees, then there is a large dune prior to the beach.

Sorry your wind died off, but the military is way over doing it on the beach guard stuff and you shouldn't feel guilty about it at all. They stop shoots for boats and vehicles, but they should only stop if someone is walking on top of the dune prior to the beach.

On a side note, it is a total pain in the a$$ when you are on range and one of the crusty beach guards holds up a perfectly good shoot for an hour or so Evil or Very Mad .

Good Winds,
Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: