Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Busy Sunday at Sauvies
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 26, 06 10:34 am     Reply with quote

I was also very surprised how many newbies had board leashes, no helmets, and were launching without kite leashes! I had to yell at one guy to put his kite leash on because it was dangling from the bar.

Also, several newbies kited to the far side of the river and had to be rescued by boaters - They are very fortunate that a lot of boats were on the water to assist. Remember the rule - don't kite farther out than you can swim!

I say let's not be afraid to give a shout out to someone when we notice something unsafe. It only takes one serious accident to create a ban - Shocked

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Jun 26, 06 10:58 am     Reply with quote

All the beginer stuff aside, perhaps it would be a good idea for the forum to create a "rules of kiteboarding" sticky that lays out some of the nautical and not-so-nautical rules fo the road.

I.e.

Don't daudle on the beach- launch and land quickly.
Don't ask a non-kiteboarder to land your kite
Down wind kiter keeps his kite low when two kiters pass each other.
Don't try your new tricks next to the beach.
Don't boost without plenty of downwind room.
If your learning and your not sure who has the right of way, take a seat and let people pass.

Basically how to interact with other kiteboarders on the river when there is lots of traffic.

Whatdoyathink?

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Jun 26, 06 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds good, I would add:
Starboard has right of way (standard boating rules) (ps thats right hand in front)

NO Jumping and tricks right in front of the crowded take off and landing portion of the beach. Go up wind/down wind 100'. It scares the newbies into crashing their kites. We are better than that.

Smile and have fun. NO attitudes.

Lauch/ land one more kite than you launch/land yourself.

The best part of this sport is the people. Lets continue to be helpful and make some new friends.

www.naishkites.com

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostMon Jun 26, 06 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

Kudos to everyone that kept yesterday event free at SI. It is imperative that we step up and self police our scene, one bad incident could be all that it takes to threaten access. The CGKA is having its first board meeting tonight, with the main objectives being access preservation and awareness.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Jun 26, 06 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
The best part of this sport is the people. Lets continue to be helpful and make some new friends.

You hit the nail on the head! The # 1 reason I never bought surf gear was due to the fact that almost everyone I ever bumped into on the water or on the beach was either a total in your face jerk-off or simply too cool for school. The better they could surf, the bigger jerks they were.

It's refreshing to see kiteboarders that can absolutely SHRED helping people in the water, towing people around, retrieving boards, and generally just being humble and cool to people.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 26, 06 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

Ditto on this one and include wakeboarders. Razz I used to wakeboard at Texas Ski Ranch and I tell you what, those guys were sooooooo full of themselves. Completely ruined wakeboarding for me. Couple of kiters started going there to practice board skills on non-windy days and got me hooked. Thank god for kiting.

I'm glad I could help and I enjoy helping newbies succeed. I will always consider helping a newbie higher priority than getting my self on the water. Kiting will always be better if everyone kites another day, and there will always be wind! Also, I try to show newbies that helping is the appropriate thing to do. That way when they're successful, they're first reaction is to help the newbies around them.

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
You hit the nail on the head! The # 1 reason I never bought surf gear was due to the fact that almost everyone I ever bumped into on the water or on the beach was either a total in your face jerk-off or simply too cool for school. The better they could surf, the bigger jerks they were.

It's refreshing to see kiteboarders that can absolutely SHRED helping people in the water, towing people around, retrieving boards, and generally just being humble and cool to people.

benji712

Since 30 Apr 2006
34 Posts
Boardman

PostMon Jun 26, 06 1:23 pm     Reply with quote

yea forsure, i gotta say thats the one great thing about kiteboarding is the peeps are chill and laid back, much diff from surfers.

just a note on the waroo guy learning, on saturday I was boarding around him and he was super safe for a learner, he might have been just having a rough learning day or somethin on sunday.

next time im at sauvies all try and clean up a bit o trash, it has been busy, gotta keep that spot in good condition. see ya'll out there. ben Surprised

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: