Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Take down
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostWed Jun 28, 06 7:50 am     Reply with quote

Lots of good points here. Rolling Eyes Long and short is...SI is a cool place to ride. Very Happy

Let's all be responsible and act like adults no matter where we ride, we are all ambasadors to the sport!!! Very Happy Cool Laughing

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Jun 28, 06 8:07 am     Reply with quote

Guess when someone gets seriously hurt or dies, you can tell us all that "you really had to be there". Come on people, wake up... If one of my friends dropped a bomb on me like that, there would be some serious yelling on my part... Shit happens fast, and one of these times the outcome won't be something that can be laughed off...

Be responsible out there. We all make mistakes, but some people seem to learn less from them than others... Jason is a great guy, and I am not intending to single him out... More I am amazed at some of the ha, ha, funny...response of others...

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 28, 06 8:32 am     Reply with quote

Say one kite powers up OMG OMG OMG what do you do? Drop the bar dont be idiots, I have gotten my kite tangled plenty of times. Usually nothing bad comes from it. But if something is about to happen just drop the bar. I dont consider crossed kites too dangerous. I would be a lot more worried about kites crashing onto other people. My friend Jon got a kite crashed on him 2 summers ago, and that was scary. Lines got wrapped around his neck, and lines trapped his bar into his harness, his kite powered up and looped a couple of times. The other riders lines cut into him and shit, it was intense. Definately not a laughing matter. A lot worse things can happen in kiting than kites getting wrapped. I wouldnt sweat the small stuff like this.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 28, 06 8:41 am     Reply with quote

Inept, I suppose if kites are tangled in the middle of the river, no innocent bystanders can be harmed.

However, at Sauvies when a powered kite diving toward the water came at my kite as I was tacking near the shore on the most crowded day of the year, I had to dive my kite towards shore to avoid a scary situation.

I don't think it's "small stuff" and everyone should be careful doing powered moves close to a crowded shore.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostWed Jun 28, 06 8:52 am     Reply with quote

I rode today,
never mind
what I said

Last edited by Hein on Wed Jun 28, 06 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jun 28, 06 9:29 am     Reply with quote

Yeah I'd say Tonski has it right on, for Sauvies just ditching your kite saves you from the danger but is putting everyone downwind (which includes beach goers if the wind is onshore) in danger.

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostWed Jun 28, 06 9:56 am     Reply with quote

tonski wrote:
Inept, I suppose if kites are tangled in the middle of the river, no innocent bystanders can be harmed.

Wyo Kiter wrote:
You don't want any kite related accidents there, it will get shut down for sure.

I think If kiters get hurt it could get closed down just as fast as an inocent bystander got hurt.

So lets keep it real, Real fun, Real safe, Real responsible, I know we all can get along...Self Police, use your head Twisted Evil

I'm out................

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

sentone

Since 10 Feb 2006
66 Posts

PostWed Jun 28, 06 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

first off im not picking on anyone im sure jason did not do this purpose and given the same situation his choice would be different i understand a yellow card was handed out (thanks) i guess sauvies is the closest place to kite from the big city...........people learn,,,advance and rip there aka newbie????show up all summer long......im not gods gift to kiteing but i have been rideing since 2 line and pickel forks ive seen my share of carnage yes this fourm is fun AND educational but for those who are just leaning they need to know the pros and cons of this sport those of you waiting for the dark day at your spot stop.............silke gorldt was my friend and a upstanding member of ARE(kiteboardering) FAMILY a loose kite upwind.... wrapped..................thats why im so confused about your what ever tude............your new to kiteing ,go to silke gorldt founddtion this is REAL people and NO i didnt have to be there........ Idea Idea Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation .

JNETTE

Since 02 Feb 2006
149 Posts
PORTLAND
Stoked

PostWed Jun 28, 06 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

JUST ONE MORE POINT....MY "HILARIOUS" COMMENT WAS MORE TOWARDS THE FACT THAT IT WAS CAUGHT ON CAMERA....NOT THE FACT THAT IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. I AM 3 YEARS NEW TO KITING AND HAVE HAD SEVERAL "OH SHIT" ACCIDENTS AND ALMOST ACCIDENTS AND HAVE LEARNED A GREAT DEAL FROM THEM.
NO MORE BAGGING....I JUST WANNA RIDE SAFELY AND PEACFULLY!

PS: HEY PHIL....I MAY JUST TURN BACK TO A "LURKER". Sad

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 28, 06 2:13 pm     Reply with quote

Perfect example of what can happen >> Accident on Kitebeach in Cabarete

You’ll have to wade through a lot of chatter in the thread, but the info is there. ~D

Added another one >> Kiter injured in italy

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jun 28, 06 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

I just have one question, if you feel compelled to bust out risky moves near the shore or you want your picture taken for all the fame and glory, why can't you poeople just do all that showboat shit about 150 yards up the beach where there are almost always less kites and kiters to tangle with?

I think people actually know why........and its pretty high on the lame factor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: