Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

help on a 360 front or back roll?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue May 17, 05 4:21 pm    help on a 360 front or back roll? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any advice on how to complete a 360 front roll or back roll. When I try, I only get to about 270 of the 360 and my kite in nose down into the water and I go splat and get worked. Any help on kite position etc.

I seem to get stuck at the 180 point

When I see others do it, it looks so easy..not sure what I am doing wrong.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostTue May 17, 05 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

try your front rolls first. send the kite for a small jump and roll your head twords your leading armpit. once your backwards in the air turn your head to look at the water ahead of you and around where you should land. if you got enough air you should land going the direction you were looking in. your body will always pivot to line up with your head. try and keep your movements small so you wont get hammered on the landing. taking your backhand off the bar can help. really its practice. good luck!

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostTue May 17, 05 6:00 pm     Reply with quote

As far as speed of rotation and getting all the way around, when hooked in try tucking your legs in farther. The more you 'tuck', the faster your rotation will be.

When trying to keep control of the kite, keep your hands as close to the centerline as possible. This will reduce any inputs you make on the bar and keep things simple.

If you want more info, try picking up kiteboarding 101. It goes over things like jumping w/ and w/out the kite, rotation and a ton of basic wakesyle stuff. Good luck

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue May 17, 05 6:20 pm     Reply with quote

Are you doing it with or without sending the kite at all? It's definitely easier to start by sending the kite a little bit to give you a second or two to complete the rotation. Just make sure you are pulling on your front hand during the rotation so the kite comes back down in front of you and you land with power.

I think backrolls are easier because you can initiate the rotation from the water. Rather than frontrolls where you get your pop and then try to start the rotation. Like Nate was saying it helps to keep yourself in a ball with your legs underneath you if you are under rotating. Over rotating is solved by extending your body and putting your legs more out in front of you.

The best example I heard of it was if you sit in a spinning chair and try to spin yourself around. Stick your legs out, you slow down, bring them in you speed up.

Keep looking over your shoulder until you spot your landing. It is possible to whip yourself around 180 degrees at the last second if you do this. Also keep an eye out for some chop or swell to jump off of, it makes it a lot easier.

Thumb's Up

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostTue May 17, 05 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

Dropping my back hand off the bar the moment I leave the water is the only way I figured out backs (I still suck at them though), also putting my front hand close to the center of the bar helps bring the kite back forward for the landing without having to think about it.

I had no problems doing forwards but while doing a back I would pull on my back hand without realizing it while rotating, which sent the kite further back across the window and I would get my ass handed to me. Of course all this happens with your back to the kite and you can't figure out WTF is going on, it took me awhile to figure out to drop the back hand off the bar.

Mike S

Ian

PostWed May 18, 05 7:44 am     Reply with quote

Ok,

Well I remember learning back rolls at the beginning of last year. I would say that for backrolls you dont have to send your kite at all to do one. Just learn them with your kite high.

Ride to your better tack with some speed.

When you are ready edge like a big gust hit you and you wanted to edge up wind, when you do this look over your shoulder and hop.

This will throw your feet up over your head. If you have enough power after you hop you should get pulled up just enough by your kite to finish the back roll.

Keep looking over your shoulder until you finish and some part of you hits the water.

Also you will want to keep your hands as close as possible to the center of the bar.

I wouldnt worry about landing powered or anything yet, just try to get the rotation down and once you can rotate it practice everything else. If you try them constantly while you are out on the water you should have them down after a couple of days.

Hope that everyone that posted on here was helpful.

PostWed May 18, 05 9:24 am     Reply with quote

bro,

the easiest way is to find a tree or something to hook up to in your garage.

put your harness on and hook in so that your just on your toes. now spin in either direction to get the feel and use your toes to stop you...then put the board on and do it.

after that hit the water and send the kite up to twelve and spin. half way through the spin pull the kite back just a bit and whalla! very easy once you have the feel. If you overshoot it just pull your legs back in and go for another spin! Very Happy

J

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed May 18, 05 10:29 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions..now all I need is some frick'en wind so I can go try.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: