Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiteboard Access Port of Hood River Waterfront
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostWed Jun 21, 06 10:12 am    Kiteboard Access Port of Hood River Waterfront Reply with quote

Below is a press release to clarify the Commission's position after all of the discussion and input last week. Thanks to everyone and the kiteboard community for participating in this discussion regarding a difficult issue. Please believe that ALL of it was carefully listened to and considered and it is very appreciated. We will continue to study/address the access/safety issues related to kiteboarding and other water based recreation and strive to work together so that all of our waterfront users can have fun and be safe.

Port of Hood River affirms kiteboard policy

After meeting last week with its Waterfront Recreation Committee and discussing options with nearly two-dozen kiteboarders present – at a meeting prompted by Columbia River access that has become difficult due to temporary high water – the Port of Hood River has affirmed its policy of allowing kiteboard launching only at two designated sites, the Spit and the Hook.
Temporary kiteboard launching at other Port sites, including Port Marina Park, were explored at length. Problems with any of the short-term sites are many and complicated, especially with increased use by families and visitors, says Sherry Bohn, Port Commission president. Safety is the key reason, and the high potential for an accident involving a non-kiter, she adds.
“While we recognize and understand what the high water has done to the kiteboard schools and kiteboard launch area, the Commission is not changing its policy at this time and will continue to limit the sport to the designated areas at the Spit and the Hook,” Bohn explains.
Bohn says safety to all users of the waterfront is key to that decision. The Port’s policy does not allow the mixed use of kiteboarding and other water-based recreation, whether passive or active, due to safety and liability issues. Because of the large space required for launching and landing of kites the Port has and will continue to limit kiteboarding only on the Spit and at the Hook.
“The Commission is working with the schools to mitigate some of the financial impact on their operations,” states Bohn. “While the issues of safety, access and mixing uses on waterfronts are not unique to Hood River, the Port is aware of the contributions, both economically and recreationally, that the kiteboard community brings here. The Port will continue to work with the various groups in order to help find the balance for all waterfront users now and in the future.”
The Port encourages kiteboarders to use launch sites identified for their sport to help ensure that kiteboarding can continue in Hood River. Launching anywhere other than the Spit or the Hook is in violation of the Port’s Ordinance 22 can result in a citation of $250.
For more information about the Port’s kiteboarding policy and launch points, visit www.portofhoodriver.com and follow the “Events” link. Other details are available by contacting the Port of Hood River at 386-1645.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 21, 06 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Its funny how your only excuse is safety, yet you have placed the families going to hang out at the beach directly downwind of where we are launching kites. Yeah you guys are using your brains....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostWed Jun 21, 06 10:29 am     Reply with quote

yup, inept, while you and i were on the water sun (i think it was you...freaking white boots:)) there was a kite lose tumbling towards the marina beach.

with the crazy winds on sunday that's safe??

guess we just have to continue to be and feel second rate to all other activities that use the columbia near HR and wait for the water to drop.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Jun 21, 06 10:59 am     Reply with quote

same problem same respone year after year. kites and sailboards can mix when there are less 10 or so sails out at the event site. Or on windy days when no one is at the maina.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Jun 21, 06 11:06 am     Reply with quote

First off, excellent job by the people who organized what will hopefully become the ressurection of the CGKA and bringing this issue to light.

Now, I would suggest that this group works hard to force the Port into looking into possible ways to improve the Sandbar and make it a safe launch even during high water. If the Port continues to limit the launch options for kiters, then they should also bear some of the responsibility in regards to making that access safe.

Seems that a simple retaining wall extended down the Hood River from Mark Worth's kite school and backfilling with sand (which there is plenty of in the late summer) would provide a pad of sand that would remain during high water...

Jon

Last edited by bambam on Wed Jun 21, 06 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

scooter

Since 23 Apr 2005
99 Posts
hood River

PostWed Jun 21, 06 11:08 am     Reply with quote

Sherry, thanks for your efforts. easy there inept... we have to get along in order to make progress here. peace!

guy_davis

Since 21 Jun 2006
1 Posts

PostWed Jun 21, 06 11:16 am    Clarify location of Hook for a non-local? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could clarify the location of the Hook? I assume the Spit is the "Hood River Sandspit".

I'll be visiting HR in late July and want to be sure to abide by local regulations and guidelines. The link posted above for the Port of HR site doesn't indicate the location of the Hook. Is it part of the Sandspit somehow?

Also, do these regulations mean that some of the launches listed on kitebeaches.com are off limits? For example, the "Waterplay" launch described at:
http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitebeaches/viewspot.php?id=2598

Thanks in advance,
Guy

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Jun 21, 06 11:42 am     Reply with quote

that is the marina no kitting. the hook is all the way to the end of the rd west of the event site. it is like a jetty and a very hard launch with out help.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jun 21, 06 11:47 am    temp dock for launching Reply with quote

Plop a temp dock/structure that floats and will allow a couple people to stand to launch and land kites. Anchor it with a big tire filled with cement (something removeable, but stout enough to endure current and forces imposed upon it by use). When the water goes down it can be removed/stored. Sturcture should have a surface friendly to kites and lines.

Placement of temp dock/stucture far out enough to attain better launching wind. Was thinking downwind of the West jetty end, near the pier with the flag. Somewhere with deeper water.

Kiter could rig at the parking lot, attach lines, then wrap up lines and walk kite out to of temp dock/stucture. Someone would have to be on the dock/structure to aid in the unwrapping of lines and launching.

This is just a suggestion and I don' t anymore time to think about it and or shoot holes in the idea. It mostly avoids and enviro issues I think

I like the SB when there is beach. Its any easy drive from PDX and I launch and jet up wind where there are better conditions and less crowds.

However, "the Sand Bar becomes the gay bar when there is no sand bar"--Wind Slither-- and f'ed-up, dirty wind launch with no downwind outs.

See ya when/if the waters go down.
Shocked Mad

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Jun 21, 06 11:53 am     Reply with quote

Am I right in assuming that the port commissioners are elected officials? If so, perhaps it’s time to try and elect a kite friendly commissioner. Anyone want to start their career in politics?

Good Winds!
Nak

railrat

Since 17 Jun 2006
5 Posts
Hood River, OR
Kook

PostWed Jun 21, 06 11:58 am     Reply with quote

tstansbury wrote:
that is the marina no kitting. the hook is all the way to the end of the rd west of the event site. it is like a jetty and a very hard launch with out help.

See the attached google maps pic

hook.jpg 

railrat

Since 17 Jun 2006
5 Posts
Hood River, OR
Kook

PostWed Jun 21, 06 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Am I right in assuming that the port commissioners are elected officials? If so, perhaps it’s time to try and elect a kite friendly commissioner. Anyone want to start their career in politics?

Good Winds!
Nak

heh- did you see who authored the original post?

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jun 21, 06 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

So for $250 I can launch at the marina beach?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well, at least we have some work ahead of us. Kiting is dangerous, that is the bottom line. I mean, you CAN see where they are coming from.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but inwater structures are expensive, not only to build, but also to permit (if they can be permitted).

I spend lots of hours behind my computer doing exactly that. Starting costs to permit a floating pier in the Columbia River are in the 14-16k range. Your also looking at a 2-year time period as well.

You would be better off building something by hand that would retain suspended sediment from the hood river as that is all the sand spit is anyways. The nasty currents a the Columbia/Hood river confluence that are the bain of some kiteboarders are also the reason for the sand deposition in the bar region.

Late night rip-rap moving party anyone? LOL

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Jun 21, 06 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

You know someone would break somthing trying to slide or jump any dock

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 21, 06 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

Improving the launch at the spit is the answer. Bam's got it right on. An earlier post said CGWA wanted to partially dredge sand from the marina - We got the perfect place for it. 1.Block the area where the Hood river comes through close to the parking lot with some large rocks 2. Backfill 3. Cover with sand 4. Clear upwind brush/trees for cleaner wind 5. Remove debris (logs etc.) from water/ spit area. This project shouldn't be much more difficult than the parking lot project of last year. The parking lot project was a saftey issue - so is this one. Environmental concerns?

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jun 21, 06 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

boardrider wrote:
Improving the launch at the spit is the answer. Bam's got it right on. An earlier post said CGWA wanted to partially dredge sand from the marina - We got the perfect place for it. 1.Block the area where the Hood river comes through close to the parking lot with some large rocks 2. Backfill 3. Cover with sand 4. Clear upwind brush/trees for cleaner wind 5. Remove debris (logs etc.) from water/ spit area. This project shouldn't be much more difficult than the parking lot project of last year. The parking lot project was a saftey issue - so is this one. Environmental concerns?

You wouldn't need any permits at all to do that. You should go rent a dozer at united rentals and start working on it soon!

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 21, 06 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

"You wouldn't need any permits at all to do that. You should go rent a dozer at united rentals and start working on it soon! " - mnkyboy

- Sounds like FUNN. But seriously - The hook, event site and marina were all projects with the same implications at one point. Yeah, it might not give us instantanious gratification - but a long term solution is better than no solution at all - or even a temporary one for that matter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: