Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

lowdown on Floras lake?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Jun 19, 06 10:24 am    lowdown on Floras lake? Reply with quote

Hey I'm sinking Floras for the long 4th J weekend, but I have no idea what's up with camping there and how to forecast the wind. Any pointers? Will it be super-crowded?

Thanks!

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 19, 06 10:49 am     Reply with quote

It wasn't too busy last year as far as kiting goes, the campground will start to fill pretty qiuck but I've always been able to get a spot (even arriving late). Look for N/NE winds, those should be pretty consistent by then. Here's a helpful link

http://www.floraslake.com/flw2.htm

sentone

Since 10 Feb 2006
66 Posts

PostMon Jun 19, 06 11:54 am     Reply with quote

the campground is nice hot showers grass field water but not to many sites try to get there a day or so early the wind will be hopefully n nw and the crowds will be nill as the days are so long not uncommon for 7 oclock sessions day or night tents work best but stalls for rvs are there to lot of wind surfers down wind so if ya cant stay up wind ask will for a pick up session on his jet ski for a minor cost will and liz have a nice set up right on the spot always talk to them first no better knowledge than local if your good and like waves................the wiskey run is where youll kite most days anyway about half hr noth up near bandon world class a 4x4 is best but not mandatory o the 4 of july fire work show in port orford 10 min south and battle rock is a MUST at all cost dont miss it have fun go big Exclamation Idea Arrow Exclamation

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Jun 19, 06 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

Do they take reservations for the camp spots?

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Jun 19, 06 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

Also, what's going on there as far as evening entertainment goes?

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostMon Jun 19, 06 4:33 pm     Reply with quote

no reservations but if it is full there is a KOA just down 101 a couple miles. Langlois is a very small town. No Atm even. Bring quarters for the showers. Not much going on in Langlois. Bandon is 15 miles away and Port Orford is 13 miles away. Last time I was there we caught dinner and a movie in Port Orford. There are fish in the lake and miles of beach to walk.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Jun 20, 06 7:10 am    tired Reply with quote

usually everyone is kinda tired for any further action and bedtime is at dark but you can usually sail till dark

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Jun 29, 06 6:28 pm     Reply with quote

One more thing I need to figure out: is camping allowed anywhere on the beach? I remember on the Olympic peninsula it was Ok to camp but you had to have those ugly big barrels with you for storing food so that bears won't be able to get at it.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Jun 30, 06 6:40 am     Reply with quote

the illegal beach camp patrol will be out parading. and remember no fireworks on Oregon beaches beotches.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 30, 06 7:13 am     Reply with quote

Its legal to camp on some Oregon beaches. The rules are kind of confusing, but here's the lowdown: No camping on "state park" beaches (those beaches that front state park upland property) no beach camping within the city limits of Seaside, Cannon Beach, Manzanita (and just north of Manzanita to Neahkahnie Mtn.), Rockaway, Lincoln City, Newport, Bandon, and Gold Beach, and last but not least, no camping from the mouth of the Necanicum to the Columbia River S. Jetty. Everywhere else is OK - just clean up everything real well, don't leave a mess, pack it in pack it out, don't crap on the ground, etc.

You can check out these and other regs at http://egov.oregon.gov/OPRD/RULES/oceanshores.shtml#Permits_and_forms

Steve

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 30, 06 12:18 pm    also thinking of heading down.... Reply with quote

I'm also thinking of heading down that way. What sensors on IKitesurf or the web should I be looking at and what speed/ direction? I also won’t be down till Sat. If anyone hears that camping is full, please post Laughing Laughing

ED

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 30, 06 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

floras has its own sensor and is pretty accurate. Look for N & NE wind directions. Forecast looks favorible.

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 30, 06 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

I was just thinking of wetsuit size? any recomendations on sizes for the lake vs ocean?

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 30, 06 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

I'd bring a full 4/3 for both. The lake can get warm but the wind keeps things pretty chilly. I wear my full 4/3 pretty much all year down there.

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostFri Jun 30, 06 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

Hey thanks guys, useful info. If there's Cingular coverage over there, hit me up with an e-mail to nwkite at azazello.net and we'll hook up. I'll be there Sat-Tue, probably mostly on the ocean side depending on how my injuries hold up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: