Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Physics question of the day
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon May 16, 05 9:38 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Hein,

Come on man, lift is an equation that deals with many variables... One of them is velocity, which is basically the apparent wind that the foil encounters... Stop making people scramble for those aeronautical textbooks that we all just happen to keep on the coffee table...

Portland Pete

Since 08 Mar 2005
145 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostTue May 17, 05 1:08 am     Reply with quote

Hein
I'll bite, Here is a guess at an FBD from the board's perspective.
The board is on an upwind tack going across the river.
Water Current adds partially to board speed vector since it is not directly
inline with the board's direction of travel.

So my answer is no, 10+4 does not equal 14.

The numbers in the picture dont exactly match the question posed by Hein
but the vector magnitudes and directions are close to scale.
Pete

FBD.jpg 

PostTue May 17, 05 2:05 am     Reply with quote

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostTue May 17, 05 7:14 am     Reply with quote

Regards,,

I think it's clear that we are capable of simple.

We are more or less a simple folk.

It's when we stop patting ourselves on the back and handing out awards that we find we don't really have a clue about how it all works.

You can pump down a vacuum jar and as you approach a total absents these virtual particles precipitate out of the nothing; they exist in pairs and annihilate each other when they collide.

near the event horizons of black holes where space itself gets shredded some percentage of these virtual pairs lose their partners and become real particles.

Yup something from nothing, they call it Hawking radiation.

And because of it Black holes glow white hot.

We've no clue....

We're a simple folk; the bother of ants under a billion billion stars...

fokiten the malignant, wink,,lol

PostTue May 17, 05 8:04 am     Reply with quote

Pete,

But, what if the relative velocity of the wind (speed with a directional vector) was directly opposite the direction of the current (relative boat speed)... Hmm, suddenly 10+4 does indeed add up to the full 14...

But this all is just theoretical since in real life the kiter is moving relative to the wind and steering the kite, and thus your relative windspeed at the kite becomes an angular component of all that crap anyway. So, why ask why anyway?

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue May 17, 05 3:35 pm     Reply with quote

Here is some more technical info about a windsurfing board and wind..Lots of drawings for angle of wind to the sail etc. Maybe someday we will see a kiteboard site about apparent wind.

http://www.bluefinz.com/technique/apparentwind/apparentwind.asp#TrueWind

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue May 17, 05 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

Great link Trevor... I wonder how many kiteboarders even think about apparent wind?

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 17, 05 8:20 pm     Reply with quote

Portland Pete wrote:

Water Current adds partially to board speed vector since it is not directly
inline with the board's direction of travel.

So my answer is no, 10+4 does not equal 14.

while true that 4kts of upwind current doesn't necessarily equal a 4kt increase in the kiter's apparent wind (depends on kiters direction of travel)--this is also true of a 4kt gust. but the point is that 4 kts upwind current is still the same as increasing the wind by 4kts. this is part of the reason it's actually clearer to describe this as something like "true" wind in the floating world, because the kiter's velocity still affects it, and creates the final apparent wind.

i still contend that 20kts wind with 0 current is functionally identicial to 0 wind and 20kts current.

also, point taken about semantic differences b/w forces and vectors, but it doesn't affect the argument.

i suspect that most kiters have some intuitive sense of apparent wind--power increases as you build speed. also going dead downwind in a big gust lessens the power a lot. but overall, kiting is so dynamic, and so responsive to wind increases, that it's not very precise in terms of angles like sailing. apparent wind is a huge issue in skiff sailing, because the boats go very fast, angles are important, and the sails need to be trimmed precisely.

in regards to guests post about current not mattering so much because the kite is still moving--yes, but the current affects the wind you will feel when stationary in the water, and that's fundamentally what you are working with. if 14kts of wind is better than 10 kts of wind, and much better than 6 kts of wind, then it matters a lot.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue May 17, 05 10:13 pm     Reply with quote

If I'm going back and forth across the river then I think some current is better than the equivalent in more wind. Can't deny that a powered kite and a bit of current is a sweet combination.

Maybe its due to the fact that the apparent wind phenonemom dilutes the power of more wind to a greater degree. Current seems like it has a more direct effect on the board. Maybe it acts at more advantageous angle. Since it seems that no current and all current are not as good as some wind and a smaller amount of current then there must be a sweet spot where the ratio of wind to current is ideal. Wonder what that is?

Can't believe no one has invoked the 2 shot rule on me for this thread.
-Hein

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostTue May 17, 05 10:33 pm     Reply with quote

Regards,

I'd suggest that there is no current for folks afloat, only for folks ashore.

Meaning wind is wind, be it apparent or God given.

You the rider cannot distinguish the difference, therefor the question becomes moot.

Example:

Einstien call his theory "equivalence" not relativity,,,

It's like this, one cannot distinguish between being accelerated at one "G" in a box in deepest gravity free space,and being in the same box in the presents of a (local) one G gavitational feild.

You can do all the tests, drop stuff,,,falls at the same acceleration,,,etc, etc. they are equivalent,,,in his theory,,but now after tests, also some stuff , in fact.

This is how he decided light must bend in the presents of a gavitational field,,,,

you see,,
The accelerated box would move as the beam traveled through it,,,Ahem,, appearing to bend!! and since they're equivalent in theory...bingo

Genius is pretty simple eh? amazing

Same thing for you,,you cannot measure current and wind separately it's equivalent/ or better said "all the same to you" you the dude in the river.

fokiten

PostWed May 18, 05 12:24 am     Reply with quote

Hein wrote:
If I'm going back and forth across the river then I think some current is better than the equivalent in more wind.
-Hein

you probably like current b/c the beach does in fact matter in practice, and upwind current let's you very easily get back to the launch site--thereby letting you kite at lower upwind angles, and thus be more powered. also psychological--if you're upwind of where you started from you feel good and can have more fun.

i think this is far more plausible than your other theories.

PostWed May 18, 05 6:50 am     Reply with quote

Not wanting to fuc with you all but,

If you kite at lesser upwind angles (you say>"and thus be more powered") you'd actually be less powered,,Hey no biggy...

I think ya gorgies are current obsessed, when in fact in terns of being in the flow there is no current independent of you, and without a shore to measure your movement against no way to tell your moving,,,That's the problem with the wind is it natural wind? or apparent wind?? without a sationary refference complete with it's own wind meter, there is just no way to know.

Again, standing on shore in a one Knt. breeze is equivalent to bobbing in a one knt. current in no wind.

They are indentical or equivalent in thier effect on wind sensors.

No biggy

I'm currently done with this,,,
regards
fokiten

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 18, 05 7:12 am     Reply with quote

Ok,,

I see what you ment,,,you can kite on a beam reach,,and still make ground to winward gratis the kindly current.

Point to consider, aside from hawking radiation there is no free lunch.

example:
Courtesy of this kindly current your beam reach will still feel identical to that upwind course you have forgone.

no gain, nothing whatsoever in fact your getting fucked by that current in nuken,,,you'd have to run down wind just to breck even,,,

sorry I'll shut up now

Carry on gentelmen
out

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 18, 05 7:36 am    talk about wind Reply with quote

all this talk about wind is interesting, but for me its kinda' like talking about love-i would much rather be hangin' out with my gal. . .

i was on kitebeaches.com the other day, thanks to the person who put up that link, its useful.

great site, thaks again to the folks that keep it going, and to nw kiters, the friendliest i've met yet. stay on the high roads bro's.
jimbo

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 31, 05 12:17 am     Reply with quote

sorry to bring up such an old thread, but i had made many strong theoretical arguments about this topic, while people suggested that actual experiences might change some of my views--specifically that current has no effect on dragging to a board. now, months later, after kiting in a very wide range of currents, and bodydragging back to the board 100x more than any other kiter since i have been strapless, i feel that i have a very strong collection of data points.

and these confirm my theoretical understanding that there is zero current effect on a bodydragging situation (as long as you and the board are in the same current of course.) i believe this is a myth created by the fact that most people don't body drag often and when they do it's after a huge crash that disorients them and makes them swim to relaunch, and they blame the problem on "current." so next time, no excuses--just be more efficient body dragging, and relaunch the kite faster so you can keep the board in sight. of course, if you leave the magic carpet and enter the beach to ditch your ripped kite, the board will be long gone.

of course, i also still contend that 10kt wind + 4 kt current is equivalent to 14kt wind. but the former feels better because you can kite lower angles while still getting back to the launch--basically a downwinder. i realized something basic but kind of amazing: if you are in 2kts of current at rufus for example, and you kite for 3 hrs, you will have done a 6+ mile downwinder! in these terms, no wonder it feels so fun... makes you never want to kite still water again. that's a lot of ground to make up.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Aug 31, 05 5:49 am     Reply with quote

What's interesting to me is the other day at SI, the current was coming in so strong with the wind that nobody could stay upwind, even though there was plenty of power. Nobody that is, except Tonski who was having no problem. She was taking her first ride on a new board.

You guessed it, a Hein. Shocked

West-bound this week folks....let's get 'em.

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Aug 31, 05 7:43 am     Reply with quote

gabe wrote:
sorry to bring up such an old thread, but i had made many strong theoretical arguments about this topic, while people suggested that actual experiences might change some of my views--specifically that current has no effect on dragging to a board. now, months later, after kiting in a very wide range of currents, and bodydragging back to the board 100x more than any other kiter since i have been strapless, i feel that i have a very strong collection of data points.

and these confirm my theoretical understanding that there is zero current effect on a bodydragging situation (as long as you and the board are in the same current of course.) i believe this is a myth created by the fact that most people don't body drag often and when they do it's after a huge crash that disorients them and makes them swim to relaunch, and they blame the problem on "current." so next time, no excuses--just be more efficient body dragging, and relaunch the kite faster so you can keep the board in sight. of course, if you leave the magic carpet and enter the beach to ditch your ripped kite, the board will be long gone.

of course, i also still contend that 10kt wind + 4 kt current is equivalent to 14kt wind. but the former feels better because you can kite lower angles while still getting back to the launch--basically a downwinder. i realized something basic but kind of amazing: if you are in 2kts of current at rufus for example, and you kite for 3 hrs, you will have done a 6+ mile downwinder! in these terms, no wonder it feels so fun... makes you never want to kite still water again. that's a lot of ground to make up.

Regards gabe,

What? I say what are you saying here?

I've read this twice and still cannot parse it out.

What? I say, what are you saying?

Thanks
fo

PS. I just went back and found your earlier posts...

We were of a like mind then, so I must assume nothing has changed...regards

PPS. In local gavitational fieds things not only fall at identical rates they also follow identical paths through space time...

Hey,,,who cares? right? right...

regards
fokiten

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: