Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Physics question of the day
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSun May 15, 05 6:54 am    Physics question of the day Reply with quote

Is 10 knots of wind apposing 4 knots of current equivalent to 14 knots of wind?

Support your answer.

-Hein

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun May 15, 05 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Hmmm.

The "true" wind is always the same regardless of current or hull speed. The "apparent" wind should feel like 14 knots when just floating in the current. Not sure about once your under way, but from experience around here it sure feels like the current has a direct affect on power that is atleast equal to it's speed.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun May 15, 05 8:14 am     Reply with quote

I'd say so, though I can't give you the physics to support it.

It's a trip when you are riding in an area with heavy current, and then you hit a spot on the water where there is a jetty or something causing a neutral or opposing current, and you feel the whole kite depower.

PostSun May 15, 05 8:17 am     Reply with quote

Why do I always get sucked into these types of questions? I can't resist. Trying not to get this too nerdy and I am not a physics person. My guess would be no. The friction of the board on the water plus the weight of the rider would be completely different compared to a stationary point and wind speed.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSun May 15, 05 9:38 am     Reply with quote

some music while you contemplate the answer...

http://www.discoverynet.com/~ajsnead/theme/midi/ppanth2.mid

want a hint?

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostSun May 15, 05 9:43 am     Reply with quote

Regards,

Once one considers that the state of physics today, unlike yesterday, when dudes said yeah, there is this eather stuff...and folk just bought into it, today we know we can't answer even the most basic of questions.

Gravity foe expample, we still have no clue what's up with that.

no gavitron, just wack theory,, einstien f-en puked,, he worked on it for fifteen years,, finally said f-uc this, I'm getting drunk instead.

turbulent flow, we can't do that, too f-en complicated.

We know very little, very well.

Same deal here, yeah sit in the current feel the true wind add the apperent wind indroduced by the flow, yup, we can do that.

start moving and it all goes out the window, too f-en complicated.

Hey,,,no sweat,,,take a tip from einstien,,,fo-get-a-bout it...

Hell,, you want weird? think about the conservation of angular momentum,,

The tip of a whip goes from lazy ordinary speed to brecking the sound barrier in the course of like three inches.

Why? fuc-it, we got no clue,,,,,we just call it the conservation of angular momentum....

Time dilation anyone? (fo knows)

fokiten

PostSun May 15, 05 11:30 am     Reply with quote

yes, it is exactly the same, as long as you disregard caring about land. but if your world is just the water, then this is exactly the same as stationary water with 14kts of current. it's just a relative frame of reference. i can't believe this isnt recognized. if you never looked at land, and if there weren't any weird rip effects from the actual current on the surface it would be impossible to know the difference in theory. this is very basic stuff. you know einstein on the train with the speeding bullet etc--that is an extension of this. also feynman apparently got a question like this(a much harder variant) right in some high school physics competition because he just ignored everything else and realized that the water was all that mattered and that was the frame of reference.

some people talk about losing a board in current. if you are in the same current as the board, there are no effects. of course you might get pushed away from the beach, but you and the board are riding on the same magic carpet, and you both have the same wind.

technically the 14kts is the apparent wind, and then your speed with add or subtract from this in the usual way. but you could easily just call the 14kts the true wind b/c it is constant for your world and is what you feel when stationary. then your motion through the water affects it as usual.

there was an article in one of the international kite magazines a couple months ago about some of the maui people kiting on a fjord or something in alaska. once they passed some sandbar the current increased 10kts opposing the wind. which meant they would go from powered to totally overpowered--just like a huge sustained gust. at the point of transition there must have been weird affects on the board--getting grabbed and yanked upwind--but that is just at the boundary. once in the new world, the increased wind is the reality.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun May 15, 05 11:53 am     Reply with quote

[quote="Anonymous"]
some people talk about losing a board in current. if you are in the same current as the board, there are no effects. of course you might get pushed away from the beach, but you and the board are riding on the same magic carpet, and you both have the same wind.

Yeah, but the board is much more areodynamic than a dragging person with a kite. If you get separated at Rufus when the currents really pumping, you'll know what I mean.

wheels

Since 14 May 2005
29 Posts

PostSun May 15, 05 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="Anonymous"]
technically the 14kts is the apparent wind...but you could easily just call the 14kts the true wind b/c it is constant for your world and is what you feel when stationary. then your motion through the water affects it as usual.

But doesn't this assume that you'll never leave the water surface? If you do leave the water, then are you saying that the 'true wind' would be 14kts? Is it really a constant?

If a kiter launches off the water and is in the air for 6 seconds, will the wind speed in his/her world still be 14kts, just prior to landing back on the surface of the water. Assuming that one would launch off the surface, somehow this 14kts doesn't seem very 'constant'.

-bw-

Dr Sloth

Since 05 Mar 2005
27 Posts

PostSun May 15, 05 3:18 pm     Reply with quote

How about 4 knots of wind opposing 10 knots of current? Would that be the same as 14 knots of wind with no current? I can't see how it would be.

PACK OUT YOUR TRASH!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun May 15, 05 5:55 pm     Reply with quote

Doc, according to the apparent wind calculator, you would have 14 knots apparent wind.

http://www.sailingusa.info/true_wind_calculator.htm

I am assuming that a person floating in a 10 knot opposing current is no different than a boat traveling at 10 knots straight up wind (0 degrees in no current).

Also, I have noticed first hand that when jumping in an opposing current you seem to lose power in the air whereas jumping in a non-opposing current you seem to get more power after leaving the water. It makes sense.

PS were those SW'erlies sailable on the coast today?

PostSun May 15, 05 6:00 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:

Yeah, but the board is much more areodynamic than a dragging person with a kite. If you get separated at Rufus when the currents really pumping, you'll know what I mean.

i don't believe this matters. let's look at the forces. the board is moving at 4kts upwind and feels 14kts of wind pushing it downwind. it moves upwind relative to land.

the person is moving at 4kts upwind (on average) and feels 14 kts pushing downwind (if the kite is trapped) or helping pull upwind if the kite is flown properly. if the kite is trapped the person may be stationary compared to land or even moving downwind. if the kite is flown the person will move upwind maybe 4.5 - 5 kts. this is exactly the same if there was no current and 14kts wind. yes, if the kite is trapped you will move away from the board. but if you are dragging upwind you will get closer to the board every minute. all the forces are the same. have never tried this at rufus, but i don't see why this would not hold to the theory.

PostSun May 15, 05 6:06 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="wheels"]

But doesn't this assume that you'll never leave the water surface? If you do leave the water, then are you saying that the 'true wind' would be 14kts? Is it really a constant?

If a kiter launches off the water and is in the air for 6 seconds, will the wind speed in his/her world still be 14kts, just prior to landing back on the surface of the water. Assuming that one would launch off the surface, somehow this 14kts doesn't seem very 'constant'.

this is a good question. we might think that leaving the water and entering the air means we feel the windspeed that the land feels. however, we have inertia at 4kts upwind. if you jump off the water and are in the air you will still be doing 4kts upwind relative to land. yes, the kite at 12 o clock will create downwind drag and reduce this. but that is also true for normal kiting. in the air you will begin moving downwind and this will reduce the apparent wind.

objects in motion stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force.

PostSun May 15, 05 6:25 pm     Reply with quote

Dr Sloth wrote:
How about 4 knots of wind opposing 10 knots of current? Would that be the same as 14 knots of wind with no current? I can't see how it would be.

yes, i believe it is the same. take a more extreme example. 0 wind on land. 20 kts current (in any direction.) on the water you will feel 20 kts wind from the opposite direction as the current. there will be chop and swells and everything. of course, it is very rare for this to happen without the water moving through some kind of narrow channel with crazy surface effects and standing waves from rocks below etc. but if a big deep section of the ocean moved 20 kts it would be indistinguishable from "real" wind.

would you lose your board? no. only if your kite was pulling downwind, and in that case you would lose it on a lake anyways.

what would happen if you jumped? you would feel 20 kts of pressure because you keep moving upwind as you jump (jump off a train and you will land ahead of where you jumped). would the kite fall out of the air? only if you managed to go 20kts away from the wind direction.

would you be able to get back to the launch? not in practise. in theory, maybe, if you ride downwind angles that "pull" the apparent wind forward enough to keep riding lower without your speed reducing the apparent wind. this is what windsurfers and catamarans do.

but the answer to that question is the same as whether someone can do 20kts VMG downwind in 20kts of true wind. i don't know.

looping the kite helps go downwind with speed, but if you really go downwind fast enough to kill the apparent wind, the kite will collapse.

you might say--but the speed of the kite looping gives *the kite* apparent wind. that is true of course. but if you get a kite looping and shut off the wind, will it really keep looping? no, because how can the kite produce energy if no energy is put in? it might go for a while on inertia, but would not last. that would be a nice energy solution if true.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun May 15, 05 7:14 pm     Reply with quote

Hey all you smartypants, login so we can tell our friends who you are and how smart you are! Thumb's Up

PostSun May 15, 05 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

the water is dangerous

Dr Sloth

Since 05 Mar 2005
27 Posts

PostMon May 16, 05 4:38 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
PS were those SW'erlies sailable on the coast today?

I wouldn't know as I was locked in the house doing house slave work, er remoldeling. Mad Sometimes it is better for me mentally to not know or care about what is going on outside if I can't go do anything anyway.

Question about all this physics stuff. If you are opposing the current kiting, then you are splipping the current as well to plane. This tells me that there is no way you are traveling at the current's speed in the currents direction, relative to land, to be able to fill your kite. This discussion is all about a kiting comparrison, right?

PACK OUT YOUR TRASH!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: