Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

stevenson downwinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 15, 06 11:43 am    stevenson downwinder Reply with quote

heya,
the recent kb mag includes a nice gorge guide, and mentions a downwinder from stevenson to some 'ville on the washington side, maybe something like homevalley?

has anyone made this trip. i am thinking stevenson for saturday, and my daughter is still having some issues staying upwind. (okay, i'll fess up, its really me having the issues. . .dang-it!)
whats the landing look like downwind?

thanks ahead
jimmi

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostThu Jun 15, 06 11:50 am     Reply with quote

the homevalley downwinder is fun but its tough to land solo this time of year. later in the fall it has a nice big sandbar. if you go with a good sized group though it should still be good. The coast still kills everything else for downwinders.

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostThu Jun 15, 06 11:54 am    gone costal Reply with quote

kiteboard117 wrote:
The coast still kills everything else for downwinders.

yup!

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Jun 15, 06 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

Jimmi,

Being the guy that wrote that article... Here are some tips...

1) Know that there are no easy exit points ANYWHERE on this downwinder. If your going, at least your riding and downwind skills need to be pretty good. Self rescue needs to be wired, and expect a scary walk through the wilds out... If either of you get nervous in open water without support/easy exit, then maybe you should rethink. Wear those booties...

2) High water right now does pose a pretty interesting landing challenge. I would drive down to Home Valley first and scout out the landing zones so you know what your in for. If you take the first right before the baseball fields into the windsurfing beach, you will notice that there is a little point that you can duck inside of and out of the wind. The water is shallow enough to stand, and you can just deploy your safety and have the kite drop into the water.

3) If your up for a cool five mile adventure, then go for it... The river is nice and straight which makes for fun swell to play in. The wind usually picks up slightly along the stretch and can be a kite size smaller around Home Valley.

Enjoy, Jon

PS: Did they put a "ville" in there instead of Home Valley??? Need to read the article carefully to make sure there are not any other typos... Hey Tucker, obviously you have not done any of the big out east downwinders, but yeah in general the coastal experience kicks serious butt.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Jun 15, 06 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

You should also beware that the launch is more difficult. If you are still practicing your staying up wind skills I would be wary of stevenson at this point in your career. Just my opinion.
Mark

www.naishkites.com

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jun 15, 06 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

Good advice - bambam

knowing where you are going is key - last time i did this I came ripping into the cove and dropped the kite in the wind shadow right at the put in - keep in mind it is shallow and rocky - I blasted off one my fins but fortunately no face plant

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 15, 06 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

Yes the coast is very fun and was a good place to learn for me. I could only do the landboard thing before last weekend and I did downwinders (in water) at Sunset beach last saturday and sunday without issue. i just did turns on the inside and eventually found myself maybe 1.5 miles downwind. even got a ride back to my car on sunday, thank goodness as my legs were toast from walking the day before. i will deflate and roll up my kite before walking next time Very Happy

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostThu Jun 15, 06 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

yea john i havent done any big east downwinders Crying or Very sad where are the good ones?

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Jun 15, 06 2:21 pm     Reply with quote

Tell ya "offline".... Jon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: