Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Flat Kites and Safety Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 14, 06 3:54 pm    Flat Kites and Safety Questions Reply with quote

I've been reading the previous thread on flat kites, and have seen some flat kites working real good here on the coast- huge hang time, big range, etc... For me one of the main safety considerations is how the kite can be self-landed safely, especially in overpowered conditions.

Almost all of the time, I'm landing my kites on my own, especially during the week, when I'm likely to be flying solo. With 4 line kites, this was accomplished by bring the kite down to the edge of the window, dropping the kite down on its LE and releasing the bar while pulling hard on one of the OS grab handles. If this worked right the kite spun around and ended up on the beach nose into the wind. If it didn't work right, the kite would spin downwind into a spiral pattern, eventually crashing on the beach, but resulting in the lines being wound up into a mess. With 5th line kites, now I can just let go of the bar, let the kite gently fall, and then "walk" up the leading edge line to retreive the kite. This works pretty good, unless you're really lit, and then its hard to hang on to the 5th line and work your way up to the kite. One solution for this is to tie off the leash to a driftlog or some other object. Works good if there's something to tie off to.

So, my question is: what is the proper technique for self landing a flat kite, and can this be done in a predictable and safe manner, even in overpowering conditions? Also, how is it self-launching a flat kite? Any problems or issues? These are big considerations when kiting alone with no beach support. Needless to say, we don't have issues with user conflicts or lack of beach space here....yet. Being self reliant is the main issue. Thanks for any feedback.

Steve

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostWed Jun 14, 06 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

pretty much its the same as your old 4 line. the only special thing is that if there is a log you can fly the kite down to the side and hook your chickenloop to the log. the kite just sits on its tip untill you get it. also you wont feel the same need to self land because with all that depower it has to be crazy storm winds to give you the urgent need to self land. earlier this spring at rosster rock jeff (takashima) walked from where he had been blown downwind in an easterly, through the parkinglot, and back to his car with his kite in nuetral the entire way.
Last edited by kiteboard117 on Wed Jun 14, 06 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 14, 06 4:54 pm     Reply with quote

im in the same boat as you mocean.

so far so good on launching and landing SLEs without help. like the above guy said, it's pretty similar to C shape. maybe a little tougher to self launch and a little easier to self land.

also pulling the safety leash (with the kite low on a self launch gone bad - the dreaded tumble) worked fine with no death spiral.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jun 14, 06 9:09 pm     Reply with quote

Here's a good vid of a smooth self launch (no sand involved):

http://home20.inet.tele.dk/pf/kite/video/NovaLaunch9m2.wmv

And landing:

http://home19.inet.tele.dk/pf/kite/Nova1000.wmv

I honestly haven't self launched or landed my Waroo yet, so I will have to holdback on any comments.

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostThu Jun 15, 06 7:25 am     Reply with quote

More then one way to skin a cat (or launch and land a kite).

www.dlight.net/crossbowlaunch/crossbowlaunch.htm

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 03, 06 9:59 am     Reply with quote

i was watching the master pupeteer proudly self launching and self landing his wahoo yesterday. it was a pretty stiff breeze which does not inspire shenangans, but is seemed pretty clear to me that once you figure out which line to pull when these kites are better then the old buckets for unassisted kiting.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu Aug 03, 06 11:15 am     Reply with quote

If you have a fixed objest to hook your chicken loop on you are set I have launched and landed my waroo 9 in up to 35mph easy. If you don't you can sand bag launch it and to land it bring it down sheet out and then grab the front upper line and pull hard.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Aug 03, 06 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

I did the sand bag thing on my CB about two weeks ago.. A little sketchy but worked fine. I dunno about landing though. When in doubt, pull out.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Aug 03, 06 1:03 pm     Reply with quote

pjc wrote:
i was watching the master pupeteer proudly self launching and self landing his wahoo yesterday. it was a pretty stiff breeze which does not inspire shenangans, but is seemed pretty clear to me that once you figure out which line to pull when these kites are better then the old buckets for unassisted kiting.

So, how did he do it? I have tried the anchored CL method, but only in lighter winds. It worked well.... I also tried the self launch with just pulling the rear around, it worked good too.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 03, 06 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

what you said pkh. pull the rear bottom line around to launch and pull the top front line to land. (correct me if im wrong blowhard).

i guess i was impressed because i had never seen it live before. i watched it on the internet but i just assumed those vids were in modest wind.

now i will have to start launching and landing that way or risk looking like a kook.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 03, 06 2:27 pm     Reply with quote

self launching on a nice beach is a piece of cake. i always do the reverse relaunch on the coast. the key is to walk upwind of the kite to get the angle right, instead of having the kite slide far downwind. rig your lines downwind if you do this.

for self landing, i have been walking up the front lines. do it at your own risk, but i have had good experiences. you can also plop it LE down like a c kite, but i find that kind of sketchy in high winds. with a flat kite, the sheeting line is so long, it can be hard to reach the front line to spin the kite.

people who kite on the coast with giant sandy beaches can't complain about launching and landing.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 03, 06 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

i've done both (self launching and landing) at sunset in pretty high winds for a 12.

for launch, i did it two different ways... one, I rigged up wind, then tied my chicken loop to the tailgate of my truck. then I walked to the kite, and walked it up to the side of the window. Once the wind filled it, it just sat there until i got back to the bar and hooked in (i ran to the bar, but didn't need to).... the other, i rigged downwind, hooked in, and walked up wind of the kite. I slid the kite around on the LE until it caught wind and launched.

for landing, I tried crashing it on the LE, but the best was is to lower it to one side until it just touches the sand. Let your bar go, and tie the CL to the tailgate of the truck again. It just sits there, and I go get it and lay it down... pretty cool....

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostFri Aug 04, 06 6:39 am    it will make snow-kiting a lot easier Reply with quote

To land;

Fly the wapoo(or goofy kite of choice) to the ground gently , while on the ground(still flying) ,pull the top leading edge line to you it just collapses leading edge down ,give a tug to swing around into wind .
To launch, with the strings in the same position as from landing (behind kite ) gently pull farthest leading edge line to you as it tucks under it will pick up wind from other side of kite and roll over hold the line until it rolls back and sheet out it will fill in and pop up .
When I rig(with lines upwind) I just pick up kite and walk it forward until lines are behind it ,
STONE AGE KITER-BOYS WILL NEED SAND TO DO THIS Crying or Very sad

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Aug 04, 06 6:56 am     Reply with quote

Any inversion landing quick tips. Smile Hell of a rangy kite. Just as powered on a 7 wahoo as a 7 C and no more low end. thats range. Laughing

Damn if I only had a 5m waroo or a 10 m Shocked octane for the days of late.

In high winds do you think the self landing will be as easy w/o the wind shadow.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostFri Aug 04, 06 7:11 am    afterwards Reply with quote

after the 3rd invert I always just come in (fuckhead)
you better get yer shit together and get in yer car and git offline(or it's going to be tooooooooo windy again)

oh ya I forgot to mention the waperdo did some flips and some other wild shit and after a while it looked liked it was not going to correct I pulled the plug
Thanks for reminding me

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostFri Aug 04, 06 7:14 am    landing Reply with quote

the biggest problem with high wind landings w/o the wind shadow is I cant reach the line as my sheeting is now a mile long ,
so I grab the line before it gets close to the ground (and slack)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: