Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

skimboard wind range?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
biggins

PostFri May 13, 05 11:32 am    skimboard wind range? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm 210lbs and trying to figure out the range of a skim in ALL winds. I only use it now only in light winds but am really curious to hear the windrange on different sized kites on different line lengths etc.

Thanks,

J

Spencer,
I know you use the cabal on 13m lines. Ever use it on "regular" lines with say a 12m etc. in light winds? I know that Rufus has got the current so I'm trying to figure out the range without the current. thanks.

PostSat May 14, 05 7:51 am     Reply with quote

In super light wind I use an 11m or 15m fuel on 23-25m lines. Normal length lines are totally fine for the light wind days.

I like the skimboard best with less kite power, and lots of board speed. However, it will definitely hang in there even if you're overpowered. Since it's got so much surface area, you can go really slow to stay in control and still keep it planing.

Spencer

PostSun May 15, 05 7:42 am     Reply with quote

Spencer,

Thanks, exactly what kind of winds are you riding in with what sized kites? i.e. what's the low end of say the 11m? and how much current if any etc.? At what wind do you switch the line lengths/kite size?

Thanks again,

J

PostMon May 16, 05 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Ideally, it would be best to have a different bar length and line length for each kite. I'm too lazy or cheap, so I just have two bars. I use a longer bar with about 23m lines for my 11m and 15m. I use a shorter bar with about 12m lines for 7m, 5m & 3m.

I'm not sure about exact windspeeds for each kite. I can stay upwind on the 15m when there are few or no whitecaps. Just a little more wind than that, and the 11m seems to get me going. If there are any windsurfers at all out on shortboards with 5.5m or smaller sails, I can definitley get going on my 7m. I use my 5m kite when typical windsurfers are on 3.7m - 4.2m sails. The 3m emergency kite is for solid spray conditions. More current is always more fun!

Don't know if this info helps at all.

Spencer

PostMon May 16, 05 11:37 am     Reply with quote

Yes, that helps tons! Thanks bro. 3m, that's nuts! Shocked how do you keep the board from blowing away? Thanks again,

J

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: