Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Flat kites are for cheaters...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 12, 06 10:14 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll leave the Troll to his roadkill scraps and his Troll-a-torium.

respect the troll or learn like the rest.....

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Jun 12, 06 10:54 am     Reply with quote

I feel like I shoudl know who this troll charector is....

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostMon Jun 12, 06 10:59 am     Reply with quote

HE loves "PDX"ers, the PDX cube farm raised meat is ultra tasty.
Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostMon Jun 12, 06 11:58 am     Reply with quote

Wyo Kiter, what exactly do you do?

I'm guess you are a cable installer? Anyone else want to venture a guess?

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostMon Jun 12, 06 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:

I kiteboard? When I am not doing that I am a motivational speaker. I have been known to lay some cable?

What do you do, monkeys or boys???

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 12, 06 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

What do you do, monkeys or boys???

R.O.T.F.l.M.A.O.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostMon Jun 12, 06 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

I just wanted to know what this means...

"Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels."

That's all. No reason to imply I'm some kind of pedophile or into beastiality.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 12, 06 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

So you come at him with a dig and then whine when he hits you up side the head with cyber frying pan?!?

What part of “you asked for it” do you not understand?!?

Quote:
I just wanted to know what this means...

"Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels."

That's all. No reason to imply I'm some kind of pedophile or into beastiality.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostMon Jun 12, 06 8:17 pm    Some Pics from Manzo yesterday Reply with quote

Some pics Janet took from Manzo yesterday.

Mark.jpg 
   Lee.jpg 
   Kurt2.jpg 
   Kurt.jpg 
   Jim&Kurt.jpg 

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostTue Jun 13, 06 6:35 am    ! Reply with quote

Nice shots, Manzanita was great Sunday. So pimpin' when it is socked-in everywhere on the N coast except a big windy and sunny bubble at the Mountain... rippin' winds...ahhhh. Glory!

ps. Never mind the haters RT, they don't know what a good heart you have. You could have eaten both of my kids but instead left me one so I could continue my bloodline. That's love and a small price to pay for a lifetime in the Hunny Hole.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 13, 06 6:40 am     Reply with quote

barfly - forgot to thank you for the shuttle on the downwinder, sweet that I got there just in time!

Maybe RT could do a sacrafice of some sorts to bring back the North Pacific high pressure?

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostTue Jun 13, 06 6:45 am     Reply with quote

Please! Looks like we might not see hi pressure back on the coast until Sat (keep an eye on Fri, it may be a late blow):

COASTAL WATERS FROM CAPE SHOALWATER WA TO CASCADE HEAD OR OUT 20 NM

.TODAY...S WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 5 FT AT 9 SECONDS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS. .TONIGHT...S WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 5 FT AT 11 SECONDS. .WED...SW WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 5 FT AT 14 SECONDS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS. .WED NIGHT...S WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 5 FT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS. .THU...S WIND 15 KT. WIND WAVES 3 FT. W SWELL 5 FT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS. .THU NIGHT...S WIND 15 KT...VEERING TO SW AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES 3 FT. W SWELL 7 FT. .FRI...W WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 7 FT. .SAT...NW WIND 15 KT. WIND WAVES 3 FT. W SWELL 7 FT.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 14, 06 7:51 am    Re: Flat kites are for cheaters... Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
I'd say just about everything except unhooked stuff is just easier.

I forgot to mention that I added a second slider under the bar to prevent the kite from radically powering up when unhooked.

It worked much better than screwing with sheeter prior to unhooking.

Check out what Papa Doyle’s been sporting on his C’s….

BTW

What bar are you flying your 7 on?
I flew a stock BEST bar at Raweiner Friday & just laugh at BEST claims for zero or light bar pressure... Perhaps if your flying it off a slider or knote but holding in on their arms. Zero pressure?!? WHATEVER!

j.p.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jun 14, 06 8:11 am     Reply with quote

JP -
I bought the Wiley setup but returned it, the reach on it was just too far for my liking (I like to use a big chicken loop which I think was the main problem.)

Now I am using the Waroo bar, and although the bar pressure isn't zero, it is very light. I am finding holding the kite sheeted in one handed while jumping isn't hard at all. The only time I am missing the stopper is on heelside to toeside transitions.

After a couple hours my arms are more tired than with a regular bar with stopper, but I am getting used to it.

The one thing I really like about the Waroo bar is its very simple and light. I have sworn by Slingshot bars in the past, and side by side the Slingy bar looks way more solid. But using the Best Bar has been changing my opinion.

Still not sold 100% on anything yet. We'll see!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 14, 06 8:29 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
JP -
I bought the Wiley setup but returned it, the reach on it was just too far for my liking (I like to use a big chicken loop which I think was the main problem.)

Now I am using the Waroo bar, and although the bar pressure isn't zero, it is very light. I am finding holding the kite sheeted in one handed while jumping isn't hard at all. The only time I am missing the stopper is on heelside to toeside transitions.

After a couple hours my arms are more tired than with a regular bar with stopper, but I am getting used to it.

The one thing I really like about the Waroo bar is its very simple and light. I have sworn by Slingshot bars in the past, and side by side the Slingy bar looks way more solid. But using the Best Bar has been changing my opinion.

Still not sold 100% on anything yet. We'll see!

Agreed!!!

Check out Papa D's current setup up. If & when it hits the market, I'll be buying it. His solution keeps things all nice & tightly and most importantly within ones reach.

If you want to build your own and you don't have access to a CNC, check out bison's bar. He's build the same thing however mounted the cleat such that it doesn't eat up the real estate in front of you.

J.P.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 14, 06 9:16 am     Reply with quote

you should just buy the SS lock n load part separately for the chicken loop and integrated cleat. i use that and the wiley stopper and it is best in the business. it doesn't use up as much length. you can really use any bar that has a wide enough hole. i could add a separate stopper on the bottom if i cared about not oversheeting.

the bar pressure is lighter when less powered. when just powered it's almost nothing. if it's "heavy" you can be on a smaller kite.

NaishUSA

Since 07 Jul 2005
53 Posts
HR OR

PostWed Jun 14, 06 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

I think the Flat/SLE/Bow designs hit a segment of the kiting population right in the sweet spot and it is not surprising that they are so popular. I am of the opinion however, that they are not inherently more safe than a standard 5th line equipped Trad. Inflatable. Granted there is more depower range which makes the ride more comfortable and keeps the rider in more control, but when things go wrong they can really go wrong (broken bridle/line death spiral comes to mind). I think it would be doing the new participants to the sport a disservice to claim that this category of kites is the be all/end all of kiteboarding safety- especially since there is not yet a spinning leash system on the market (that I know of anyhow).

/discuss?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: