Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

heading up from California... advice on riding spot
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 02, 06 3:21 pm    heading up from California... advice on riding spot Reply with quote

hi guys,
I'm heading up to the Hood from Cali next week and am breaking the trip up into three days. I wanted to hit a coastal spot in Oregon and was thinking of Florence or Newport. Any recommendations on which is better and maybe even a hotel that takes dogs?

thanks for any advice you guys can provide:-)

Marina

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jun 02, 06 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

Hey M,

Check out Whiskey Run, it's north of florsis lake.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jun 02, 06 4:06 pm     Reply with quote

florence is generally more of a wind-hole then newport, which usually means florence is better (but sometimes florence gets too windy)

florence is better then whiskey if you are going to stay upwind. whiskey is a better spot for downwinders (or so im told)

dogs generally run free at florence while their owners ride.

early next week looks promising for oregon coast.

bunches of hotels at coast take dogs - probably at least one in every town.

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 02, 06 4:30 pm     Reply with quote

We'll be ripping at Florence monday and tuesday. Come on up!

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 02, 06 8:58 pm     Reply with quote

Florence is great if you like blowing sand and a long drive out to the jetty via the sandspit. In Newport you can stay in town and be 5 minutes to the South Jetty, South Beach, or Beverly Beach. Free day use areas with amenities, minus the sandblasting. Many hotels to choose from, and campgrounds right at our 2 best spots. Just waiting for another good wind cycle right now - Monday and Tuesday look hopeful.

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 02, 06 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, go to Newport

marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 03, 06 4:49 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions! I prefer ocean/wave riding to flat water....

what about somewhere in Bandon?

Sailut

Since 31 May 2005
72 Posts
Utah

PostSat Jun 03, 06 6:28 am     Reply with quote

Mocean wrote:
campgrounds right at our 2 best spots.

What are the campgrounds you refer to?
Can you kite from the campgrounds?

Thanks in advance..

-Marty Cool

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostSat Jun 03, 06 7:02 am     Reply with quote

Whiskey run is right outside of Bandon. North of the golf area. I can't remember the name of the road but I wanna say it has "six devil" in it or something. Floras lake is between Bandon and Port Orford. It is worth taking a look at. You can walk back and forth from the Ocean and Lake with your kite in the air.

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostSat Jun 03, 06 7:25 am     Reply with quote

Sailut wrote:

What are the campgrounds you refer to?
Can you kite from the campgrounds?

Thanks in advance..

-Marty Cool

the campground for floras lake is called boice-cope. it cost $12.00-16.00 depending if u drive an R.V.. its probaly my favorite place at the moment,...100yds from launch, showers, smells like sweetgrass, and if you talk to WILL BRADY (instructor) maybe he'll let you use his suana Cool

the way to get to whiskey run is SEVEN devils rd....about 5 miles north of bandon, turn left on seven devils,...go about 3 miles till you get to whiskey run rd....turn left toward the ocean....cant miss it....i've camped out at whiskey but be aware of the tide!!!

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Jun 03, 06 10:18 am     Reply with quote

Go to whiskey for good open ocean riding and beach driving usually done by multiple downwind shuttle runs. At florence you can get a great wave time after time from the south jetty. Newport same more or less than florence but wave doesn't develope as nice USUALLY. And the wind is a bit weaker in newport which is usually a good thing on 25 plus days. But hey if you can drive an hour plus further to save 5 minutes of driving that sounds like a great deal Laughing south beach in newport has water to rinse off with when done which is nice. A couple tacks upwind and your to the jetty there. Florence is raw no ammenities. but you can drive out on the jetty w/o risk of getting stuck.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Jun 03, 06 10:50 am     Reply with quote

Pretty sure Steve was refering to the South Beach campground, right by the South Beach access parking lot. It's within only a few minutes walking distance, so that's not a problem, but if you're hauling a few kites and are lazy (like me), I'd just drive over... And because the jetty is a little further north (less than a mile) of the South Beach, it'd be a longer walk, but definately still managable. I think they have showers and everything you'd need too, but I'm not for 100% sure (never have camped there before - normally hit up Beverly)! Thumb's Up

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostSat Jun 03, 06 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

where exactly is the launch in florence? South jetty from the bike offroad area?

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Jun 03, 06 10:15 pm     Reply with quote

drive by the 4 wheeler area continue around hard right corner,past several lots, for about 6 miles. At the end stay left through large end paved lot continueing on to rough gravel area then continue driving on rock jetty. drive on the jetty until you come across large rocks blocking further suv westward motion. inflate kite next to your car walk 200 ft and get in ocean. You do NOT need to buy park pass if you park on the jetty itself. Come on out. Please don't let your kids swim in large rip current along jettty and clean up after your dog and self. Shocked

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSun Jun 04, 06 11:35 am    Florence,,Newport Reply with quote

Camp on the Florence south jetty for free ,hang out behind the jetty where it's warm ,swell looks not too hot in the near future ,fairly flat behind jetty but if you loose your gear it will be hard to get near jetty.

Not sure if there is a condition by the Newport jetty out of the wind ,on the northers it was very windy right along the jetty to offshore,but a lot of smooth waves inside and regular open ocean sailing at South Beach, with a couple tacks would be in the smooth stuff up by the jetty .
Are you the Marinachang from iKite?

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 04, 06 2:52 pm     Reply with quote

Finally!!!!!! Tomorrow looks like it might happen. Keep your fingers crossed

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSun Jun 04, 06 3:46 pm    tomorrow Reply with quote

D,
may not happen for me tomorrow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: