Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Waroo potential safety issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue May 30, 06 2:25 pm    Waroo potential safety issue. Reply with quote

I am not trying to bash Waroo only bring up a potential safety issue. In fact, I am considering purchasing one. I found this on another forum. Hope it helps. Here is the full thread.

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2328494&sid=d7c65a6b81ccd539806a1865ec609373

Mark

..........................................................................................................
First of all, I want to clarify that:
- I own 2 waroos
- I truly believe there are the most fantastic toys I have ever had.
- In one session on the waroo 9, I was feeling so confident that I managed to do things I never did in a few years kiting with regular C kites.

So I am not a Best basher, just the opposite as I managed to convince quite a lot of people to buy waroos and they bought waroos indeed and are very satisfied with this choice.

There have been some reports on the Best official forums about potential problems when activating the security release grabbing OSH (Oh shit Handle), all the reports were mentionning that the kite was going into death spirals for quite a long time before crashing. (OSH are mounted on the backlines.)

So I decided to give it a try to make myself a proper opinion on this.
Here is what I observed (Conditions: gusty 20knots with a brand-new (pre-modded) waroo 9m)

Test 1- If you grab one of the OSH and leave the bar go still hooked in
-> It does not kill the kite or put the kite as a flag as expected, it just make the kite turns even faster in one direction or another. I tried it several times and it always responded this way.

Test 2 - Grab one of the OSH and activate the security release on the chicken loop.
-> The kite started spinning like hell, and the pressure in the handle is much bigger than the pressure on the chicken loop when you are 100% depowered. It lasted for more than 5 minutes, lines and brids starts getting tangled and I got very scared to a point where I considered releasing the handle and leaving the kite free, when it finally crashed (by chance?). -> VERY VERY SCARY to me and for all the witnesses. For obvious reason I did NOT dare repeating that test!

Conclusion:
The only active security you can fully rely on is the 100% depower assuming that the kite is trimmed to allow 100% depower, it works very very well, and pressure on chicken loop is almost null.
Then if something really bad happen, don't loose time with the OSH, there are very difficult to grab, and not effective at all. The bad news is if you don't use the OSH you will loose your kite (becoming a real danger to the other kiters downwind and all the by standers)

Now I am considering two options:

Option 1: Try to mount the equivalent of OSH on one of the front line. Has anyone try this? How does the kite behave when the only line left is one of the front line? Can you flag the kite this way?

Option 2: Buy a new bar with a 5th line, and mount the 5th line on the kite.

Thank you very much for your recommendation.

Yannick
.........................................................................................................

www.naishkites.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue May 30, 06 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

Good stuff Mark, thanks for posting.

I wonder if a front line leash would work better than the side line ones?

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostTue May 30, 06 3:29 pm     Reply with quote

I use a front line release on both my windwing rapture2 and my turbo diesel and it's works fine. From what I have seen and read, it just seems that bows are not really designed for rear line release.
Jim

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostTue May 30, 06 3:52 pm    Re: Waroo potential safety issue. Reply with quote

Yannick wrote:

Test 1- If you grab one of the OSH and leave the bar go still hooked in
-> It does not kill the kite or put the kite as a flag as expected, it just make the kite turns even faster in one direction or another. I tried it several times and it always responded this way.

Test 2 - Grab one of the OSH and activate the security release on the chicken loop.
-> The kite started spinning like hell, and the pressure in the handle Shocked ??? is much bigger than the pressure on the chicken loop when you are 100% depowered. It lasted for more than 5 minutes???LET GO!, Idea lines and brids starts getting tangled and I got very scared to a point where I considered releasing the handle and leaving the kite free, when it finally crashed (by chance?). -> VERY VERY SCARY to me and for all the witnesses. For obvious reason I did NOT dare repeating that test!

Yannick
.........................................................................................................

I am not sure about these new kites but with my Slingshot (FUEL) bar, the OSH are on the outsides, rear lines. You have to unhook and let go of the bar and hold one OSH to get it to depower. Just Yannicking on one OSH while still hooked in, or holding the bar, would, i assume cause the death sprial condition this chap is describing. I think any kite would do what Yannick is saying if you don't LET GO OF THE BAR.

Anyway keep testing out these bows for me guys. I know they ride great I have tried a few, and the upgraded SS TD with the centre line 100% depower works if you unhook and let go of the bar.

no kite is worth a life, lets be careful out there

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 01, 06 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Contact John Bellacera at Best, he lives in White Salmon and should be reachable through Best website. John developed the bar for Windwing that has a higher sheet ratio so that when you sheet out you get double the depower for the same amount of movement. You can effectively get 100% depower when the bar is fully extended away from you. Seems like this might be logical solution vs 5th line, which I believe would add too much line craziness to bow kite bar.
-- Shocked

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 01, 06 9:34 am     Reply with quote

what would be so complicated about adding a 5th line to a bow kite bar? does not seem that it would cause any problems?

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 01, 06 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

dont you just connect a suicide leash? When you let go of the bar the kite keeps flying but it is completely depowered.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 01, 06 4:40 pm     Reply with quote

not true, common misconception. however, the xbow style bars do this. reducing the needed throw has no effect on the safety system anyways.

Yardsale wrote:
Contact John Bellacera at Best, he lives in White Salmon and should be reachable through Best website. John developed the bar for Windwing that has a higher sheet ratio so that when you sheet out you get double the depower for the same amount of movement. You can effectively get 100% depower when the bar is fully extended away from you. Seems like this might be logical solution vs 5th line, which I believe would add too much line craziness to bow kite bar.
-- Shocked

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 02, 06 9:20 am     Reply with quote

jack wrote:
what would be so complicated about adding a 5th line to a bow kite bar? does not seem that it would cause any problems?

I was just thinking extra line tangles because of the pulleys and center depower handle adjusters-seems like kites should be getting simpler, not more complex. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: