Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

NEW RIDER WITH NEW QUESTIONS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostFri May 26, 06 11:33 am    NEW RIDER WITH NEW QUESTIONS Reply with quote

First things first..I am very impressed with the quality of NWKITE.COM. I have been a "Lurker" since December and have learned a lot from all of the posts..Thank you.

Thanks to Chris Anderson for keep the stoke and getting me deep into the sport of kiteboarding. He has been working with me since early march and has showed me a huge amount of patience and has always provided a positive attiude. I can't hear a dam thing he is yelling at me when I'm in the water, but he always has positive feed back....I am very fortunate to have Chris as my kite mentor!

I want to thank Jeff and John for saving my ass (kite, board, and body) last month at kite beach in Stevenson....You guy's are the best and truly showed me what the "Da Brotherhood" is all about. I hope to pay the carma gods back some day. I offered cold beer and they both declined to accept. I totaly owe you guys big time....Thanks once again.

Ok, now the New Rider questions. 1) I understand that your stance should be approximatly shoulder width apart but what about the cant of your feet? Im sure that it is personal preference but what makes more sense feet peperpendicular to the board or canted out 15 to 30 degrees?

2) I have been watching how to videos, one thing I have keyed in on is most if not all of the riders seem to have their hands centered on the bar. I have not observed that technique used at our local riding spots. What are the pros and cons of having your hands close together and centered on the bar?

One last thing....BamBam sorry for droping your kite as I attemped to help you launch at Stevenson.....I have profected that technique and it wont happen again...Thank you for your words of encourgement.

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostFri May 26, 06 11:45 am     Reply with quote

Hey T.W., good to hear you've gotten the bug. As for stance, I'd recommend canting your foot beds between 15-30 degrees, It's more comfortable of a stance than having them straight. Look at any snowboard setup and they'll have a similar stance. However, it's all personal and I'd recommend experimenting with different angles to see what's most comfortable for you. As for the hand on the bar, most of the pro riders you see in the vids are jumping unhooked. when jumping (unhooked or not) you don't want to oversteer the kite, so keeping your hands close will help prevent that. Same thing goes when your super powered up. That's why they make smaller bars for smaller kites. If you kite in lighter winds you are probably cranking the hell out of the bar and need to have your hands on the outside of the bar to get as much out of the kite as possible. hope this helps.

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostFri May 26, 06 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

Also, don't get locked into thinking your stance MUST be shoulder width apart. Stance is a very personal and important aspect of any boardsport and in my personal opinion wider is better. A wider stance offers greater stability, better stance and better leverage over the board. Look at virtually any other sport: surfing, snowboarding, even football, baseball and basketball; stationary stances are all wider than shoulder width. Everyone is different though, so once you get your riding a bit more dialed try experimenting with width. It'll feel different at first, but you might find it works for ya. Just remember, with stance, anything goes. standard is shoulder width and ducked out (cantered out), but experiment and ride what works. Just my 2 cents...

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 26, 06 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

wide stance. ruben's custom brunotti
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri May 26, 06 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

I can only go 22" on my Pro-X... Crying or Very sad 24" would be nice!

Lucky ass mothafucka! :D
 Lucky ass mothafucka! :D  RubenProX2.jpg 
Didn't feel like spending 850GBP (~$1500), just for a custom stance
 Didn't feel like spending 850GBP (~$1500), just for a custom stance  RubenProX.jpg 

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Fri May 26, 06 11:33 pm; edited 5 times in total

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 26, 06 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

yeah I would say go wider, my stance is 24" from center of one binding to center of the other one.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostFri May 26, 06 6:46 pm     Reply with quote

idk i am also riding a 24" stance but i dont think its easier to ride. i can go upwind pop and land way the hell better but as far as just riding it isnt as comfortable as a narrower stance. It seems like i just get much more pressure on my back leg. i would recomend starting narrow and working your way wider as you progress.

with the mounting angle you really can mess up. footstraps give such a wide range of motion that you should be able to pivot your feet in the stap from 0' to 30'. the center mounting holes are normaly just fine.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri May 26, 06 11:32 pm     Reply with quote

WORD about the strap stuff, Tucker!

My pads (center-center) are at 22", but you're absolutely right about how forgiving they are. Pretty sure I get at least a couple inches positive (width) just from the play, which means I really want 26" actual!

Any idea for tomorrow yet? I'll call you in the morning. Cool

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSat May 27, 06 7:02 am     Reply with quote

slap a tape on the floor.

Put you feet 20" apart (center-to-center)

Prentend you are riding...
bend your knees,
hang your ass down to lower your cg
rock forward and back
grab indy or roast beef.

Now move your feet to 25" (center to center)

Pretend you are riding...
bend your knees,
hang your ass down to lower your cg
rock forward and back
grab indy or roast beef.

Get it?

Wide stance rules. Of course in order to take advantage
of your new stable, powerful, wide stance you are going
to have to ride fast, unhook, keep your kite low and throw
down.

Check out my Hein Plates if you want the adjustability of a
wake board binding in a foot bed/strap system that allows
you to pivot your foot about 15 degrees while riding.

-Hein

Last edited by Hein on Sat May 27, 06 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 27, 06 7:06 am     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:

man... you're already in shorts out in the ocean? brrr

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostSat May 27, 06 7:12 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys. Although it will be alittle while before I truly "throw down". Right now I'm getting my ass handed too me and I still want more.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSat May 27, 06 7:13 am     Reply with quote

Those pics are of Len10 presumably in S.A. On a custom Brunotti with a
wide stance that you apparently can't get in production. -Bummer.

Here's a 27" stance on a 139x42

I'm 5-10, 155lbs and ride a 25" stance on a 135x41. So a taller guy
needs a bigger board with a wider stance.

Interesting how the stance seems to fit the board. Notice how each
plate/strap is centered on ~50% of the board. You get really good
feel for the tips and sufficient leverage to push them deep for good
load-pop.

-Hein

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat May 27, 06 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Good stuff Hein! I had a feeling you'd be able to cover the stance tech well, especially since I know you like a little wider stance too!!! And yea, Elvis, that's Ruben in South Africa on his custom board. I like that last board you posted too, Hein! CLEAN Very Happy

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostSat May 27, 06 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

It's official! Twin-Fin--You're in the Club!

Ps. I've got Boost 1 & 2 for you. Courtesy of Gman. (If you're reading this G, send us some picts from Netarts!)

Kraem

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostSun May 28, 06 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe another day.... Sad

Picture 1.jpg 

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostSun May 28, 06 10:48 pm     Reply with quote

Holy *%&# that is funny as hell, JK.
Im laughing my ass off...really I am.
I just could'nt take no for an anwser!!!!!!!
I had to fly my kite so that I could practice yet another self rescue.
The funny thing is.....in retrospect Im laughing at the fact the it only took me 50min or so to drift down to Bob's beach.

I wonder what tomorrow will hold???????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: