Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

So get up get, get get down - 911 is a joke in yo town?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 19, 06 9:03 am    So get up get, get get down - 911 is a joke in yo town? Reply with quote

So I emailed the mayor of HR to find out about rescue services. Sounds like she will give more info soon and i'll post that as well. I don't know anything beyond this email. Here is her reply:

John,

Well, I may have a couple of answers for you. The second one will come in a couple of days.

The Port of Hood River responded to my inquiry: " All seven of the kiteboarfding schools are required to have waverunners available for rescue as part of their instructions concession agreement. And according to them, they have never rescued their students, only the public that goes out and gets into trouble."

I spoke this evening with Chuck Thomsen, acting County Commission Chair. He believes that the County will respond to a 911 call. He is aware of a staff cutback and will get back to me when he has a definitive answer. The County boat is usually in moorage in the marina.

I will get back with you in a couple of days, when I hear back from Chuck.

Hope this helps.

Linda Streich

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 19, 06 9:55 am     Reply with quote

I'll spare you of further attempts to conjure hiphop tracks from the late 80s.... here is the second reply:

John here is more information from the City of HR.
To: <LDStreich@aol.com>
Subject: RE: HR Sandbar Rescue?
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2006 9:06 AM
The City ambulance always responds to calls from the Port area when there is a problem. If it’s water related, I believe that both Rescue and Ambulance are dispatched.

Doesn't sound like this is ideal solution, but if the shit hits the fan grab the phone i guess? Rolling Eyes

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 19, 06 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

Laughing and especially if you see average looking dude in purpleish helmet and matching life jacket struggling and waving frantically for help

CALL FUCKING 911 Exclamation

my boss will be pissed if i don't show for work on Monday Wink

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri May 19, 06 1:42 pm     Reply with quote

how about this... the sign that you are in dire straights and really need extra last resort help (911) is you have abandoned all of your gear and are just swimming?

I mean having the 911 crew come out just so you don't have to let your gear go is a bit like Homer having the paramedics cut him out of the vending machine becaue he doesn't want to let go of the candy bar.

By the way... I learned a new self rescue technique last night. The bar I was using didn't really have any easy way for me to tie it off to my board. So instead I put my handlepass leash through the footstrap on my board and clipped it back on to the bar. Then I took off my harness, the board and harness were then attached to the end of the bar and I just worked my way up the lines to the kite to self rescue.

Taking off the harness made the self rescue a lot nicer because:

- Lines usually get caught on my harness when I am self rescuing, without the harness they slipped right past.
- The harness floats so it kept the board from bass plugging.
- It was much easier to swim at the end without a harness on.

In retrospect I probably should have grabbed the hook knife off my harness so I had it with me when I was self rescuing with the kite, I'll try to do that next time.

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 19, 06 1:44 pm     Reply with quote

that sounds fare to me! Smile

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri May 19, 06 2:45 pm     Reply with quote

Fight the Powers that Be!

911 Operator “What is the nature of your emergency?”

- Uh..Yeah Kiteboarder Dude in a purple helmet is floating down the river, think he may be in trouble?

911 “Do you know if he is attached to his gear”

- No it looks like he ditched his kite.

911 “Can you tell me the year and model of his Kite? Sweet. We’ll be there in 20 Twisted Evil

littlegus

Since 08 Jul 2005
29 Posts
La Jungla

PostFri May 19, 06 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
how about this... the sign that you are in dire straights and really need extra last resort help (911) is you have abandoned all of your gear and are just swimming?

It might not be wise to abandon the gear since it can be used as a floatation device. If you get tired of swimming, at least you have something to rest on (no worries of drowning in cold water if your limbs turn off). On the other hand, most of the swimming propulsion is generated from the hands/arms and you can't really use your arms while holding a kite.

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostFri May 19, 06 10:22 pm     Reply with quote

You can deflate the LE (not struts) roll up kite and place board under kite wrap it all up and lay on top and kick and paddle, trust me it works. When you are in the middle of nowhere WY no 911, heck no cell service.
Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: